Author Topic: Question for Raw Dairy Drinkers  (Read 6902 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Question for Raw Dairy Drinkers
« on: November 24, 2011, 07:26:07 pm »
I am trying to get someone to transition to a healthier diet than SAD. I doubt she will try rawpalaeo, but she may well be OK with the occasional raw egg or steak tartare and the like. Currently, I know of no easy way to get hold of raw milk around here, but the local supermarket has taken to selling lots of (albeit pasteurised) milk derived from cows fed only on grass, hay or herbs. I was wondering if this milk is worth getting, as I presume it is "less worse" than pasteurised milk from grainfed cattle. Any opinions welcome.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Question for Raw Dairy Drinkers
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 07:55:17 pm »
I am trying to get someone to transition to a healthier diet than SAD. I doubt she will try rawpalaeo, but she may well be OK with the occasional raw egg or steak tartare and the like. Currently, I know of no easy way to get hold of raw milk around here, but the local supermarket has taken to selling lots of (albeit pasteurised) milk derived from cows fed only on grass, hay or herbs. I was wondering if this milk is worth getting, as I presume it is "less worse" than pasteurised milk from grainfed cattle. Any opinions welcome.
Raw grass fed milk is miracle food for me while pasteurised, no matter how fed, is dramatic. I think the homogenisation plays a big role though. From supermarket milk I get mucus and digestive issues. Not from raw milk. Kefir made from supermarket milk I can tolerate. I sometimes make that when I can't get raw milk to keep my kefir grains alive. It's nowhere near as good as raw milk kefir of course, but it certainly is less worse than plain supermarket milk.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 08:02:54 pm by TylerDurden »
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 10:22:47 pm »
I think the homogenisation plays a big role though. From supermarket milk I get mucus and digestive issues. Not from raw milk. Kefir made from supermarket milk I can tolerate.

I used to get milk for a little while from a farm that pasteurized but used no additives, no supplements, did not homogenize and packed in glass with plastic cap.  I kind of "energy test" with my hands.  It tested much better than Horizon brand organic homogenized pasteurized milk in cartons every time I tested.  I had no milk allergy, so I don't know what else I can say. 

I never made kefir with pasteurized milk, but I made yogurt with pasteurized.  The unhomogenized always made better flavored yogurt.  Unhomogenized yogurt always made better starter than using artificially homogenized yogurt to introduce culture it.

I don't mind grainfed raw milk, but I know grassfed raw is better. The son I've talked about before dislikes the taste of raw grainfed, and likes the taste of raw grassfed.  He did have extreme dairy allergy (not sensitivity nor intolerance) to pasteurized, but not so much with unhomogenized.  The problem was with plain yogurt, cheese, chocolate ice cream (perhaps other flavors but we didn't try) and Lactaid lactose reduced milk too, even food with only a tiny bit of whey in them.  Heck, he's so sensitive, he'll feel it if you take a sip of pasteurized milk in the next room.  I've never seen grassfed pasteurized.

I tried grassfed pasteurized butter.  It messed up my lymph big time, but I ate primal diet dose even though it wasn't raw.  Heated grainfed (1 small serving) messed up my gall too, but not as bad as the lymph.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 10:31:10 pm by RawZi »
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 11:50:48 pm »
It's impossible to see the changes in milk when it goes from raw to pasteurized, but I can draw a parallel with the changes that meat undergoes when raw meat is heated - flesh toughens, juices coagulate, flavor alters. Heated meat is not the same as raw meat in any way, so I conclude that heated milk is not the same in any way, either.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 01:59:44 am »
pasteurizing dairy destroys enzymes that help one to digest it, thus if your body has trouble digesting and assimilating, bile or liver, stomach or intestinal issues, it will have a harder time with pasteurized foods

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 02:14:15 am »
It's impossible to see the changes in milk when it goes from raw to pasteurized, but I can draw a parallel with the changes that meat undergoes when raw meat is heated - flesh toughens, juices coagulate, flavor alters. Heated meat is not the same as raw meat in any way, so I conclude that heated milk is not the same in any way, either.
well actually you can see it. the viscosity is different. pasteurised homegenised milk flows like water raw milk is noticeably thicker.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 02:44:44 am by TylerDurden »
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk