Author Topic: How do you handle cravings?  (Read 4287 times)

Offline zbr5

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
How do you handle cravings?
« on: October 29, 2011, 07:24:59 am »
OK, we know raw paleo is healthy diet/lifestyle but we sometimes, especially during transition period can't help liking pizza or cup of coffee.

I  know there is no magic rule to create a strong will but maybe you have some methods that help you stay true to your decisions?

Do you take notes, condition yourself with rewards, use other people to help you stay on track?
What do you do in the moment when a craving happens that help you?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 01:34:53 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Re: How do you handle cravings?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 09:51:13 am »
Warning: graphic info to follow--faint of heart should move on: I remember how the last time I ate wheat and pasteurized dairy I ended up violently spewing out of both ends at the same time like a double-headed Roman candle.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 10:46:07 am »
Hmm...

Cravings are difficult. Sometimes I've resorted to gorging on foods that I find acceptable in the past. I've yet to master urges for certain foods or too much food either.

I think that cravings are a function of the mind. If you can occupy your mind by the beauty of life, your mind will stay away from contemplating delicious food.

However, this phenomenon (psychological or not), is a doozie and can signify several things--perhaps obsession, perhaps a deficiency? When I was eating meat, I would eat but feel unsatisfied and this would lead to overeating meat because I felt it was one of the few foods I enjoyed eating and was safe to eat. This lead to a huge imbalance.

After contemplating what I've written above, I would make sure that your diet is balanced and has a variety. This would help with cravings if you weren't always just eating one or two foods and felt like you were rigidly forcing yourself into an uncomfortable yet theoretically and scientifically sound diet. In the end if you don't enjoy life, what's the point?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 11:13:23 am »

Do you take notes, condition yourself with rewards, use other people to help you stay on track?
What do you do in the moment when craving happens that help you?

Generally, minerals and fats are useful for controlling cravings.  I use healing clays and bone meal for cravings, and good-quality raw fats of all types.

I suggest having one or both of these at hand as often as possible, so that you can satisfy your cravings quickly.  In a general sense, if you're eating enough fat and minerals, and not eating much carbs, cravings are much more weak.

In the moment, try to remember that you wouldn't be having cravings this strong if you had eaten enough fats.  Try to remember what cravings are like if you had eaten enough fat, and you can sort of think yourself into that headspace, and out of the craving mindset of the moment.   This is a stopgap measure, and you should get some good quality fat and eat it as soon as you can. 

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 01:37:09 pm »
I used to walk past restaurants where they deliberately threw out sauces etc., so that the outside smelled of various foods so as to attract passers-by. I would, then,  always think of the extreme pain I got from eating cooked foods, which deterred me admirably.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 02:52:40 pm »
I have no cravings no more, really.
I guess the secret is: Wild meat, wild fruit (berries) wild greens, organs. Eat from all food categories. They have all the minerals you need and nutrients, and so you have zero cravings believe me. I just get hungry at times and then eat. I have no desire for food that do me no good.
I also eat a heavy breakfast, one pound of raw meat with coconut oil if not enough fat on it. But yes, fat we need as Cherimoya Kid said. If I eat all wild, and get no fat, I get cravings for fat, really! I tried this.

Inger
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 04:32:38 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 06:10:04 pm »
OK, we know raw paleo is healthy diet/lifestyle but we sometimes, especially during transition period can't help liking pizza or cup of coffee.

I  know there is no magic rule to create a strong will but maybe you have some methods that help you stay true to your decisions?

What do you do in the moment when a craving happens that help you?

In the past, I would give in to that craving.
Then get back on the raw paleo diet horse.
I'd analyze why I'm having that craving and how that craving can be met by raw paleo diet.
No guilty feelings, just get back on track.

The longer on raw paleo diet, the less cravings and temptations.

All restaurants are un-interesting to me these days.

Listen to Inger... the solution is to eat more fat.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 06:25:43 pm by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 08:43:14 pm »
Warning: graphic info to follow--faint of heart should move on:

That's what happened to me the last two times I ate adrenal.

Agree with Inger and GS, eat from all the important foods and lots of good raw fats, and there are no cravings.  Otherwise, do the best you can.  Know your body, or get to know it.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk