Author Topic: Why would honey make me sick?  (Read 14032 times)

Offline RAW12

• Forager
    • View Profile
Why would honey make me sick?
« on: October 31, 2011, 10:50:41 pm »
After reading Aajonus and increasing my intake of raw unheated honey, I started to become ill. I would make a shake from raw milk, raw unheated honey, and three raw eggs. I was on the shake for about a month and started to become ill. Great pain in my stomach. When I removed the honey from the shake and started adding my homemade maple syrup the pain stopped. Recently I tried the honey again and the pain came back. Does anyone have any idea what it could be. Is it a detox and I should keep taking it in small amounts or should I stop taking it? I would only take about a tablespoon a day.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Why would honey make me sick?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 10:54:54 pm »
A genuine detox should only last a few days, a few weeks max., and one should feel better afterwards. Best to avoid  the honey.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 12:38:54 am »
I would add to that, don't eat anything that makes you sick.

Indeed if you feel sick, remove items from your diet say for a week or a month and see if it changes anything.

Aajonus is quite bright but he doesn't know everything.
Cheers
Al

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 02:51:26 am »
    Did you have any fruit in the drink?  If so, how much and how ripe?  What else did you eat or drink, and how close to the time you drank this?  Before or after?  Are you eating raw unsalted cheese?  Is the illness the pain, or more?  What quadrant?  I don't know what it is, but I think any diagnostition needs lots of clues.  Did aajonus prescribe this to you? If so, did you tell him about the great pain?
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline RAW12

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 03:24:46 am »
I just read his book and started eating the honey and butter that he recommended. I figured out what was causing it by removing things from my diet. No fruit was in the drink. The pain would come after every time I would eat, not just the shake with the honey in it, but anything I ate while I was taking the honey. I stopped taking the honey and the pain went away. I thought maybe there was something wrong with my honey so I stopped taking it. I have my own bees that I get the honey from.  I recently got some more unheated honey and after taking it for a few days the pain came back, so I stopped again. I guess I could start taking it again and experimenting to see what I can tolerate and what I can't. The pain only comes if I eat something, lasts a short time then goes away. I got scared so I quit taking it. My DH takes it for his acid reflux and eats it like it's candy! 

Offline RAW12

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 03:28:46 am »
No fruit in the drink but may have had fruit at some time. Yes the illness was the pain. Not 100% on the quadrant but mostly in the center of the abdomen or more to the left, maybe. It's been since last winter since I was having the problem. Recently it started again after trying the new honey a few times, not for long but I knew what it was as soon as it started so I stopped again! :)

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 04:15:04 am »
    I used honey with my meat from the beginning, my reasoning being that honey experts told me unheated honey help people with microorganisms, and I was afraid of pathogens of raw meat.  I'm not saying you should ever eat honey again, or that you shouldn't eat fruit.  If you do choose to eat honey again, perhaps have it with meat instead of dairy.  Is the honey you got more recently from the same bees etc as before that?

Might adding cheese to your menus medicinally in the fashion AV recommends help?

Are you using one of the basic menu plans in the book?  The individual one he gave me was quite different.  I find all I talk to who had the consult also have very different plans each.

I guess it's like allopathic medicine, in that just because aspirin is allopathic, does not mean that everyone who believes in allopathy should replace their thyroid med with aspirin.  I think AV knows this, and would recommend differently to each person, if they went to him.  That doesn't make me not want to read allopathic books.  I don't want to anyway though.  But if I got pain seriously and believed in Allo, I would not read two books and self medicate, I would get a thorough medical exam.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 04:22:01 am by RawZi »
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline RAW12

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 04:56:27 am »
This honey is from different bees. LOL we are using NO menu plans. Right now we are just trying to add SOME raw stuff into our diet without killing ourselves. THAT'S how bad we have been taught to FEAR raw foods! LOL WE can NOT go ALL raw yet, it's just too scary psychologically for all of us. Oh, and the fried foods taste SO good we are having a HARD time giving them up! Right now, our lives are SO busy it just seems easier sometimes to just go out to eat, NOWHERE here sells ANYTHING you can order RAW. LOL  I'm trying to change our eating habits so we can become more healthy. I'll try to see if I can eat the honey again. I just was wondering if anyone else had this problem after eating honey for several months. I am in NO pain now and will stop eating the honey again if the pain comes back.  I'll start with one tablespoon per day and see how that goes. Thanks

I hate doctors so I don't plan on going to get a thorough medical exam anytime soon! :)

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 04:36:57 pm »
I would try eating the honey without anything else and on an empty stomach and then seeing if you get pain or not.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline ivanrk

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 07:12:55 pm »
I have tried many different brands of raw/unheated honey also honeycombs - 30 -40 minutes after eating honey the blood sugar is rising substantialy. For example if blood sugar is 98 mg/dl before eating then it goes to 150 - 160 mg/dl 30 -49 minutes after meal. I dont see how rising blood sugar can be good for anyone but maybe i am wrong

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 02:00:37 am »
RAW12
If you have the bees you are probably aware that honey changes during the season. My experience is that later in the season it is milder.

In Ayurveda honey is considered to aggravate some people.

We find that early season stuff is way too strong and we like the later stuff.
Cheers
Al

Offline MDee

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 02:33:11 am »
any sugar or starch makes me sick and causes me to decline in my health, that is how my system works. It has only taken about 5 years to completely eliminate it....but I'm way better now than I have ever been.

From my experience I would high recommend being very wary of the "detox" idea/mindset...I honestly believe and have experienced that something that is healthy and healing should have a positive effect both in the short term and long term.

good luck

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk