Author Topic: Raw sterilized?  (Read 11411 times)

Offline iceman

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Raw sterilized?
« on: October 08, 2008, 09:36:58 am »
Is there a way to sterilize meat without cooking it? 

I'm not interested in anything irradiated.  I would like to first try some raw shrimp, or raw grass fed buffalo but I don't want to go full blown hard core balls to the wall raw right now.  I thought about soaking thin strips of meat in Everclear to sterilize and then light it to quickly burn off the alcohol.  I don't know if vinegar is very effective for sterilizing meat.   

Offline stevesurv

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Raw sterilized?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 09:50:11 am »
As long as you're eating grass fed or wild meat, there's absolutely no reason to try to cleanse it. Commercialy raised meat is filthy anyway and any process you may use to sterilize it would probably make it worse than it already is.

I eat rotting meat loaded with bacteria and it makes me feel great so forget about any processing of your food. It's entirely unnecessary.

Satya

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 10:10:21 am »
Is there a way to sterilize meat without cooking it? 

I'm not interested in anything irradiated.  I would like to first try some raw shrimp, or raw grass fed buffalo but I don't want to go full blown hard core balls to the wall raw right now.  I thought about soaking thin strips of meat in Everclear to sterilize and then light it to quickly burn off the alcohol.  I don't know if vinegar is very effective for sterilizing meat.   

Buy from small farms who raise animals by traditional means and slaughter them in good conditions, and you have no worries. That said, you can freeze meat at 0 degrees F for 7 days and destroy all parasites.  I just got 2 whole lambs, as you know, in paleo times, a whole animal is what you get generally.  And not only that, meat IS seasonal.  No one hunts deer in early spring unless they are desperate.  Unless you follow the seasons and are really keen on nature and procure your own foods yourself directly, you will fall short of paleo conditions.  Period.  So most of my meat is frozen for some time before I eat it.  If you are worried about bacteria, then sure, soak it in lemon juice, vinegar or alcohol.  Or, drink a glass of alcohol with your meat while you transition (if you feel okay about that).  I realize that it is kind of a strange feeling to leap into raw meats when the media says "Ack, salmonella, E. coli, hepatitus A!"  But so many of us here don't ever freeze meat even (Tyler) and don't have worms and diseases and food poisoning. 

Be cool.  Relax.  Expand your horizons.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 08:54:52 pm »
The best thing to do is to use freshly-squeezed lemon-juice(from organic lemons) and marinate your meats and fish in them. I've been told that this process makes the taste much more like that of cooked-foods without the disadvantages of having toxins created by heat.

However, like Satya said, there's no need to worry about this whole notion of bacteria and parasites. We all go through an initial fear-phase where we douse our meats with antiparasitical herbs etc such as garlic , cayenne-pepper etc.(well, that's what I did, at first), but we all grow out of this phase, once we realise that it's all quite unnecessary.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline seesawsemiology

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 05:38:14 am »
when i first started i would just eat small amounts of raw meat and nervously wait for the onslaught of food poisoning. needless to say it never happened, instead ive been feeling better and better.
now its rare that i eat anything BUT raw meat!

Offline Kristelle

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 06:31:56 am »
I've eaten all sorts of raw meats (organs too), supermarket included, for more than a year. No problems to speak of. 

Offline iceman

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 09:09:24 am »
Thanks for the suggestions.  Lemon juice sounds doable.  I'm not that concerned with bacteria.  I don't drink alcohol and I got rid of my freezer and  microwave.  At least my lifestyle is becoming more paleo... 

My concern mainly lies with parasites - tapeworms, nematodes, prions, etc... 

I would think that a salt water non-fish like octopus or squid would have the least chances of having a parasite that could set up camp in my bowels.

Dehydrating looks interesting.  It appears to be the oldest form of preservation. 

I know, I know, gotta be raw raw raw lol... 

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 04:10:24 pm »
What is up with Sally Falon suggesting to freeze meat for 14 days to get rid of parasites?

Do any of you do this?
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 05:31:24 pm »
What is up with Sally Falon suggesting to freeze meat for 14 days to get rid of parasites?

Do any of you do this?

I know, it's ridiculous, and totally unnecessary.  I think a number of newbies probably do it, but I'd be surprised if people bother with this long-term freezing, as it's time-consuming and takes up a lot of freezer/fridge space if one is eating all-raw(well, all-prefrozen for 14 days).
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 05:41:01 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.  Lemon juice sounds doable.  I'm not that concerned with bacteria.  I don't drink alcohol and I got rid of my freezer and  microwave.  At least my lifestyle is becoming more paleo... 

I don't think prions can be killed.  I don't worry about it anyway.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline MrBBQ

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 11:59:26 pm »
Good question and something I've asked myself...

What about procuring an ozonator for yourself and then soaking the meat in the ozonated water? Anaerobes don't like ozone, but I'm not so sure about other so-called pathogens (just something to think/research about anyway).
When hungry eat, when tired sleep - this is the essence of Zen...

Offline Cthulhu

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 09:53:18 am »
Thanks for the suggestions.  Lemon juice sounds doable.  I'm not that concerned with bacteria.  I don't drink alcohol and I got rid of my freezer and  microwave.  At least my lifestyle is becoming more paleo...  

I would think that a salt water non-fish like octopus or squid would have the least chances of having a parasite that could set up camp in my bowels.

Dehydrating looks interesting.  It appears to be the oldest form of preservation.  

I know, I know, gotta be raw raw raw lol...  

There is no reason to be afraid of eating raw meat. I understand, it's natural to feel that way when the world and media makes it look raw meat is this deadly toxin that you must, at all costs, avoid, but we're all living proof that you will not die. You can start out by using lime/lemon juice and/or raw vinegar, as others have suggested. Let it sit out at room temp. for an hour or so and then soak it for 15-30 minutes, then wipe it off and eat it or do whatever you're going to do with it. I still make certain raw meat dishes with herbs/spices and will use lime/lemon juice to add some bite. Nothing is wrong with that.

As far as bacteria and parasites go, most 'bad' bacteria and parasites found on raw meat is killed by your hydrochloric stomach acid during digestion. The "good bacteria" in your digestive system will also see to this. This is actually why I think most newbies should get on a good probiotic supplement/food source for a little while as they ease into this diet. It's funny how most people that I know who eat cooked foods and have gotten food poisoning have always had some kind of digestive issue where their stomach would not secrete enough acid to digest the food.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 10:02:07 am by Cthulhu »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk