Author Topic: butter?  (Read 6952 times)

Offline balancing-act

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
butter?
« on: November 05, 2011, 08:31:36 pm »
Hi, everyone. I'm very new to this. Old to raw, but new to raw meat. I've looked around the site a bunch in the last few days, and a lot of my questions are answered, but-
After years of deficiency from a mostly-vegan diet, I'm finding my body craving animal fats in particular, more than protein. I haven't eaten cheese in several months, and don't really want to, but I'm craving (real, fermented) butter. Do people just add butter to their raw meat? Last night I melted the butter and added it to some ground lamb. I figured too much nutrition couldn't be lost in a brief melting. Am I wrong, though? If you don't melt do you sort of just spread the butter in? Why does that repulse me? And does butter even need to be refrigerated?
All I know is that my stomach gurgled with happiness when the butter hit.

Any additional suggestions for a newbie are really appreciated, too. My assumption is that what I liked cooked I'll like raw. Lamb, beef, certain seafood.... Anyway, thanks graciously.
Interested in deep political matters? www.rigorousintuition.ca

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: butter?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 09:33:32 pm »
The butter will melt in your mouth, although you're probably not losing much nutritional value if you're only melting it.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 09:37:16 pm »
Butter-related topics really belong in the primal diet or weston-price diet forums. Moved there now.

Melting the butter is a definite no-no, at any rate, given heat-created toxins produced.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 11:52:44 pm »

Melting the butter is a definite no-no, at any rate, given heat-created toxins produced.

That depends on the heat of the surface the butter is being melted on.  I used to melt coconut oil in a drinking glass sitting in warm water, around 120 F.  That wouldn't create heat-created toxins. The glass wouldn't get warm enough.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 12:08:43 am »
Mixing in butter to ground beef you don't need to melt it and sitting on top of other meat true - not all that appetizing.

Here's a suggestion for you - I like to make fat sauces. If you put egg yolk mixed with butter and seasoning and dip your meat into it - it's very yummy and a great transition fat food. If you are fat deprived you are probably also deprived of other nutrients so...... have you been able to try scooping out marrow yet? If you haven't, oh boy, you are in for a treat. I used to want butter on everything, but marrow is like a million times better.... at least that's what I'm feeling these days.

Welcome and best of luck with your transition!

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 02:06:41 am »
melting butter in a pan (high temp) really destroys it. I like butter every way straight from the fridge in chewable chunks or creamy soft at room temp. Since you eat butter i'm gonna asume you have no problem with eating dairy. If so I really recommend making milk, egg, butter, honey "milkshakes". I put 0,4ltr raw milk, 3 egs a large lump of butter and a teaspoon raw honey in a glas jar and put it in mildly warm (30degrees cent. or so) water. wait 5mins and blend. You'll get the most creamy sweet delicious shake with lots of high quality raw fat!
“A man should be able to build a house, butcher a hog, tan the hide,
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 02:09:19 am »
typing that made me want one of those shake's myself so bad.... ;)
making one now  8)
preserve the meat, deliver a baby, nurture the sick and reassure the dying, fight a war … specialization is for insects.”

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 03:56:01 am »
I used to almost live for a time on shakes really close to what you described H-I-R - except I would also add some berries and the dairy was fermented quark and whey instead of milk because I couldn't digest unfermented milk well and I added a little flax seed oil and I'd do most of the mixing in a blender - not warmed. If they sold our kind of milkshakes at McDonalds what a different world we would be living in!

Enjoy that shake! 

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 05:22:33 am »
I often add tomatoes, makes for the most wonderfull shake. First time a drank that shake with tomatoes i took one sip than instinctively gulped down the entire thing at once. My body wanted it so bad. This was very early on in the diet which may explain the extreme reaction but that shake still does a lot for me!

also often add berries like you! And i make the shake often with raw milk kefir. My lunch at work is usually 1ltr kefir with few hundred grams of berries and sometimes a few eggs.

mixing without warming it slightly usually ends with the buter ending up on top as a thick creamy foamy layer with me. except on hut summer days when everything is on room temp.

gonna start a shake recepy topic.. Feel like there are a lot of awesome recipies to be shared!

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 06:44:55 am »
It would have never occurred to me to add tomatoes to a milkshake! But hey - cream of tomato soup right? Tomatoes and fat go together beautifully I think. I almost never eat tomatoes without some kind of fat. Avocado is the usual, but when I make my raw tomato soups (kinda like a veggie smoothie) I will usually add the Italian seasonings which include some olive oil. Now you have me wanting to make THAT!  :D

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 08:11:13 am »
yum i usually have mine out at room temp and then just mush it into whatever i am eating, i like it to be just melted enough to be all over everything, most of what i eat ends up looking like uncooked meat loaf....baked or raw veggies(depending on what they are/how they taste to me), meat, garlic, onion, some kinda or multiple fats (egg yolks, cod liver oil, warm butter, sometimes avocado, sour cream, yogurt, liver) all mushed up together and at room temperature or a little warmer, i really dont like eating cold things and rarely drink cold water, i think being obsessive about not warming stuff up is ridiculous, you have to go by what your body, digestion, etc tells you, every persons constitution is different and can assimlate proper nutrients differently...perhaps your body craves something cooked because the only way it can obtain this is that the certain nutrient becomes  more available through cooking, WHO KNOWS just as long as you feel healthful, satisfied and nourished afterwords and gain energy and strength that is substantial, not fleeting, from the meal....honestly scientific jargon from the internet doesnt hold shit to how individual each one of us are....obviously you shouldnt char the fuck out of your butter, and maybe even not bring it even to a simmer, but you can certainly warm it up if you want, and if every once in a while you want hot butter on something baked, well then eat it, and if you eat it day after day and feel fine then continue, and if after a while you dont, then remember you must have moderation

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 09:37:27 am »
I love my warming drawer - you know - the thing you are supposed to warm plates up in. I use it all the time to take the chill out of things when I don't want them cold. The dehydrator is also a great tool when you want something warmed but not cooked. I think the mind is used to the stove or cooktop as the only way to get things warm instead of cold and even though the body doesn't want it cooked - the mind thinks they have to be used just to get something warm. My home is also usually warm enough that if I just leave things out on the counter they stop being cold and most of the year if I put it out on my back porch in the sun it warms up real fast. It's nice to have options.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 03:47:13 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 03:58:26 pm »
It would have never occurred to me to add tomatoes to a milkshake! But hey - cream of tomato soup right? Tomatoes and fat go together beautifully I think. I almost never eat tomatoes without some kind of fat. Avocado is the usual, but when I make my raw tomato soups (kinda like a veggie smoothie) I will usually add the Italian seasonings which include some olive oil. Now you have me wanting to make THAT!  :D
sounds like you really ought to try that tomato milkshake. You'll love it! The buter and tomato in that shake go so well to gether.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 12:05:23 am »
As soon as there is enough rain for the cows here to make cream and I get glass jars and get to the far-off far so that the milk doesn't hit those darn soft milk containers ...... you BETCHA I'm going to try your recipe for sure H-I-T! And......... I'm going to use the tomatoes from my tomato plant which now has it's first ripening tomato on it. wOOt!

Offline HIT_it_RAW

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 04:15:58 am »
As soon as there is enough rain for the cows here to make cream and I get glass jars and get to the far-off far so that the milk doesn't hit those darn soft milk containers ...... you BETCHA I'm going to try your recipe for sure H-I-T! And......... I'm going to use the tomatoes from my tomato plant which now has it's first ripening tomato on it. wOOt!
sounds great. Raw milk is only allowed to be selled at farm here so you have to go get it yourself. Naturally i use glas bottles for this.

I had some tomatoes in pots on my small roof terras. they are so good homegrown. Its almost winter here so thats over for now. I just moved and now I have a real garden so i cant wait for spring so i can start growing all sorts of stuff.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 04:24:58 am »
I've been making self-watering planters out of plastic storage bins because of the outrageous drought and heat conditions for a good part of the year here. A regular garden in the ground is hard to keep going but the planters are doing GREAT. They are fun to make, they keep away bugs (and my chickens) and I can move them to the best conditions in my yard at that time of the year and.......... I will cover or take in my tomato plant the first night that frost is expected. I kept that plant alive all summer to have this fall crop and I don't want all those luscious little tomatoes lost - especially when I have a milkshake to make!  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk