Author Topic: honey heating  (Read 2042 times)

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
honey heating
« on: December 07, 2011, 03:10:59 pm »
I was at a farmers market and a farmer there told me that honey always has to be somewhat heated in order to get it into the jar. I was under the impression that totally raw and truly unheated honey does exist and is what is preferrable. What is going on here?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 03:34:32 pm by TylerDurden »
-----------

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: honey heating
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 03:37:45 pm »
I was told that too by several farmers. I was also told that butter was impossible to sell in raw form as the process to make it involved heat. Farmers are lying or just plain ignorant in these cases. A more honest beekeeper told me that it was indeed possible to get raw honey unheated into a jar. The trouble is that it requires a great deal of manual labour, whereas the usual process is completely automated. What that meant, he said, was that he felt obliged to charge much more for raw honey in a jar than raw honeycomb in a plastic tub, for example.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 11:47:09 pm »
It puzzles me why honeycomb costs so much more than honey in a jar...
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 01:04:40 am »
It puzzles me why honeycomb costs so much more than honey in a jar...
  Perhaps those beekeepers realise that there is some extra value in the raw honeycomb...
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk