Author Topic: Food Safe Utensil, Cutlery Alternatives  (Read 5142 times)

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
Food Safe Utensil, Cutlery Alternatives
« on: December 06, 2011, 03:54:06 am »
For cutlery, I'm looking into a set of ceramic knives and scissors. For utensils I'm trying to find a set made of wood.

Could anyone make any recommendations for brands or for information as to how I might be able to craft utensils. I saw a spoon made from coconut shells the other day and I think I'm going to try to craft one.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Food Safe Utensil, Cutlery Alternatives
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 09:11:36 am »
If you don't mind 21st C technology, a high-speed rotary tool (such as a Dremel) is fun to use on coconut shell.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 09:32:36 am »
I saw a set in Whole Foods made from bamboo I think. The knife was pretty useless except for spreading, but the fork and spoon were very nice. Had an attractive carrying case. A little on the pricey side like everything at "Whole Paycheck" but probably less than buying tools. Sounds like a fun project though if you have the skills.

I'm trying to make myself some "shoes" so I can be grounded to the earth and it has been quite the challenge. I wish I could just buy a pair, but every moccasin and shoe now has a rubber inside or bottom.

Making shoes and silverware are those great primary kinds of skills that warm that connection to the earth and food place inside me that I love so much.

Please do share pictures and directions if you figure out how to do it!

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 02:06:09 pm »
If you're looking for moccasins with only leather soles, go here: www.footwearbyfootskins.com and request that they make them with all leather soles, no foam.  That is what I am having them do for me!
I also have a pair of their teepee boots, and just sanded off the foam from the leather insole. 

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 12:34:09 am »
If you're looking for moccasins with only leather soles, go here: www.footwearbyfootskins.com and request that they make them with all leather soles, no foam.  That is what I am having them do for me!
I also have a pair of their teepee boots, and just sanded off the foam from the leather insole. 

Thanks Indigo! This one here (men's) looks like the only one without anything man-made:

http://www.footwearbyfootskins.com/store/item.asp?Category=11&SubCategoryID=&GroupID=&SKU=4400S

I just wonder at that price how long they will last outside. I wish they didn't put that silly "poron" in their women's all leather shoes!

I'm hoping that if I can make something less expensive then if I wear them out every month I can just make new ones - but I admit - it is a long learning curve. At least now if I fail miserably I have a back-up plan. ;)

What I would really like are some old-fashioned plain old WOODEN soles. They can be made too I guess if you know what you are doing.

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 01:29:05 am »
Well, their tee pee boots are technically supposed to be slippers for indoor use, but my pair has lasted a year so far with no sign of wearing out (just a leather sole) and I am SUPER hard on shoes!  And I wear them to work every day (and walk a LOT) and around on my days off, too.
I'm pretty sure you can request them to make any of their styles with no man-made materials (i.e. poron soles).  I have a pair of knee high deerskin moccasin boots coming in the mail soon...pricey, but worth it!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 03:38:07 am by TylerDurden »

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 03:53:43 am »
Lasted a year! That's well worth it.
Do you walk around only on pavement or do you also spend time on grass and dirt?
You are winning me over real fast - as I spent some time researching how to make shoes today and it's going to be quite a learning curve - not to mention acquiring the supplies.

I crochet so I was thinking of making something like this:
http://www.softstarshoes.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1153
Which would be pretty easy for me actually.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 04:32:53 am by Dorothy »

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 05:03:20 am »
Yup--I was totally surprised they have lasted so long, too!  I'm hoping the boots I'm getting will last even longer (I had to get them made in a custom width and height, too, because my feet are so wide and I am quite tall, so I'm counting on wearing them for a LONG time)!  The tee pee boots I typically wear inside, but I do walk a lot and I do wear them outdoors on my days off, on concrete, grass, gravel etc. 

Those crocheted boots look really cute!  I actually knit and crochet as well, and I don't think they'd be too hard to make, actually.  Great idea, thanks!  I think I'm going to try it too, after I finish my current knitting project. 
Felted shoes are also another option, like these: 

http://www.etsy.com/listing/75729148/felted-slippers-viola?ref=sr_gallery_13&ga_search_query=bure+bure&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

I want some of those, but since they probably aren't very water-proof or outdoor-proof, they would be more of a luxury that I can't afford right now.  Sure would be nice for cold days around the house, though! : P
Good luck!  Hope you find something you like!  I know its taken me AGES to find suitable shoes that are actually cute, so I'm glad to pass on the knowladge. : )
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 05:48:57 am by SileIndigo »

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 06:55:34 am »
Those ARE cute slippers - but you're right, probably not very practical - and probably wouldn't do well for my feet. I bet though that one could make felted slippers with a leather sole molded to the shape of the foot. That might be real nice. They could be more like fancy shoes than slippers.

Who woulda thunk that I'd meet another crocheter on the paleo forum! Happy day. We just gotta figure out how to crochet shoes. Then it wouldn't much matter how long they last while I'm out working in the yard because I could just make more! I could also make them out of angora which would be the warmest pair of shoes on the planet! Wouldn't it be a hoot to be raise the rabbits, spin the yan and make the shoes?  There I go down one of my flights of fancy. l)

Please let me know how your boots turn out!

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 08:22:58 am »
Hehe yes, that would be fun to produce your own shoes, literally from scratch!  I've been getting close with some of the clothes I've sewn for myself (I dye the fabric with plants, and make the pattern and sew it all).  Its such a fun challange!  And the end product is definetly worth all the effort. 
I'm knitting with some yak down yarn right now (making a shrug), and it is SO WARM and SOFT!  I can just imagine yak/angora bootie slippers..Oooooo cozy!  I am also so happy to meet a fellow crocheter on this forum!  I'll let you know when I get around to the boots!

Oh dear, I think I've gotten this thread a bit off-topic...:S  Sorry!
On the subject of cutlery--I know lots of people hand-carve wooden spoons.  I love wood carving, and currently use a foredom flexshaft (its a electric rotory tool) but am starting to get into hand carving with a knife and gouges as well.  I find the woodcarversillustrated forum very helpful! 
As for knives, unforutently I don't have any expierience there, but I do love good knives : )  so I'd be happy to hear other's reccomendations!

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 09:22:59 am »
Ha Ha - yes - back to spoons!  -X

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk