Author Topic: Post workout carbs and tooth decay  (Read 19434 times)

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
Post workout carbs and tooth decay
« on: December 16, 2011, 08:06:52 am »
So in his book "How to cure tooth decay"  Ramiel nagel stated that when you ingest sugar your blood minerals like phosphorus and calcium are being unbalanced and the body pulls calcium from the teeth.. this procces causes tooth decay.

So from this I also learn to not ingest carbs before a workout I rather workout in ketosis I don't wana risk tooth decay...

But what happens if I take the carbs post workout?? my muscles will take in the sugars before any imbalance in blood minerals occurs?? how does that work??

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
Re: Post workout carbs and tooth decay
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 07:27:26 pm »
What I'm basically trying to ask is does ingesting carbs after a brutal workout when my sugar stores are totally depleted will aid tooth decay or the sugars will be absorbed so rapidly into the muscles that it won't do any harm? Same goes for diabetes.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 08:12:04 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 04:22:50 am »
The sugars are still going to feed the bacteria in your mouth that cause tooth decay.  The best thing to do is to have some clay or bone meal with your carbs, to replenish the minerals being pulled from your teeth.

Offline Muhammad.Sunshine

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 04:57:39 am »
Cherimoya_kid has a good point: tooth building inputs are important. Magnesium is essential for strong tooth enamel, in addition to vitamin A, D, and K.

Lactic acid is what wears away the tooth's surface, saliva is base and counteracts the acidity in addition to delivering nutrients.
Always try to be positive, optimistic, kind, and fair.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 07:40:11 pm »
so carbs are are evil after all and no matter how you do it without a solid diet with lots of fat soluble vitamins and minerals carb intake should be minimized??  ???

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 07:55:15 am »
What do you mean by carbs exactly? When I was rebuilding my teeth I couldn't eat SUGAR at any cost, but could eat all the fruit and vegetables that I wanted and were good for my body as a whole and it didn't interfere with the rebuilding.  Sugar and carbs to me are different things. I think the trick is to eat what is ideal for you as an individual.

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 08:32:35 am »
so carbs are are evil after all and no matter how you do it without a solid diet with lots of fat soluble vitamins and minerals carb intake should be minimized??  ???

There are many ethnic groups which eat a high proportion of carbs and have good tooth health.

I have noticed that many people from Africa have fantastic looking teeth, very bright and strait; their diets consist primarily of cereal-based carbohydrates augmented by a little fish, meat, or dairy.

According to Weston Price even the traditional Inuit had (very few) cavities on a virtually sugar free diet. The Scots of the Hebrides had almost the same low instances of cavities as the Inuit, even though the Scots consumed plenty of carbohydrates from oats.

It appears that nutrient intake has a very strong correlation with tooth health, even with a carb heavy diet. If your teeth are healthy, nutritious carbohydrates appear benign.

Recommendations for basic tooth health:
1. Mitigate acidity: rinse your mouth after eating, brush a while later.
2. Increase mineral content: eat plenty of vitamin and mineral rich substances.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 08:55:43 am by Muhammad.Sunshine »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 10:33:31 am »

According to Weston Price even the traditional Inuit had (very few) cavities on a virtually sugar free diet.

You make a very interesting point there. 

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 12:45:14 am »
There are many ethnic groups which eat a high proportion of carbs and have good tooth health.

I have noticed that many people from Africa have fantastic looking teeth, very bright and strait; their diets consist primarily of cereal-based carbohydrates augmented by a little fish, meat, or dairy.

According to Weston Price even the traditional Inuit had (very few) cavities on a virtually sugar free diet. The Scots of the Hebrides had almost the same low instances of cavities as the Inuit, even though the Scots consumed plenty of carbohydrates from oats.

It appears that nutrient intake has a very strong correlation with tooth health, even with a carb heavy diet. If your teeth are healthy, nutritious carbohydrates appear benign.

Recommendations for basic tooth health:
1. Mitigate acidity: rinse your mouth after eating, brush a while later.
2. Increase mineral content: eat plenty of vitamin and mineral rich substances.

Eating whole grains also did not adversely affect tooth rebuilding for me as long as they were cooked healthfully. For me it was not so much what I ate as what I did not eat.

Offline RedMeat

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 04:05:41 pm »
What do you mean by carbs exactly? When I was rebuilding my teeth I couldn't eat SUGAR at any cost, but could eat all the fruit and vegetables that I wanted and were good for my body as a whole and it didn't interfere with the rebuilding.  Sugar and carbs to me are different things. I think the trick is to eat what is ideal for you as an individual.

Dorothy, what do you mean by rebuilding your teeth? I would definitely appreciate advice on how to improve my teeth. I have composite fillings on 12 of them and sensitivities on all of them. I also blame these for neck tensions and jaw problems. I read somewhere that some people even found ways to have their teeth fill the hole occupied by the filling and see the fillings themselves sort of been expelled from the tooth. All of that through proper nutrition only. Did you have a similar experience?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 12:10:09 pm »
I wonder if the Inuit's cavities might be from the glucose that their bodies produced from protein.   Or, maybe the high protein did mess up the mineral balance in their bodies a little, weakening their ability to rebuild their teeth.

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 12:08:35 am »
Glucose and Tooth Health

According to the traditional model of tooth decay: Lactic acid is produced from bacteria in the mouth. The acid slowly leaches out minerals from the teeth which become cavities over time. It is the acid rather than the sugar which erodes the teeth. Fortunately saliva is a base which can neutralize the acids and deliver nutrients to remineralize the teeth.

With the above model it appears unlikely that blood glucose will acidify and cause cavities.

Importance of Nutrients

Dr. Price mentioned an interesting study which demonstrated the importance of good nutrition and the vitamins A and K on salivary health. When vitamins A and K were administered, L.acidophilous colonies decreased from 323,000 to 15,000 per cubic centimeter, approximately a 95% decrease! The treatment also included minerals and a reduced proportion of carbohydrates. I think the acid producing organisms could be further reduced by rinsing the mouth after eating.

Increasing the building factors (minerals, vitamins, etc.) and decreasing in the breakdown factors (bacteria, acids, etc.) will result in a net increase of teeth mineralization.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 12:30:26 am by Muhammad.Sunshine »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 11:37:46 am »
Glucose and Tooth Health

According to the traditional model of tooth decay: Lactic acid is produced from bacteria in the mouth. The acid slowly leaches out minerals from the teeth which become cavities over time. It is the acid rather than the sugar which erodes the teeth. Fortunately saliva is a base which can neutralize the acids and deliver nutrients to remineralize the teeth.

With the above model it appears unlikely that blood glucose will acidify and cause cavities.

But those bacteria have to be eating something to produce the acid, the acid is basically their excrement.  No food=no excrement.  What could the bacteria be eating, on a zero-carb diet? They can't produce excrement without eating something.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 02:58:45 am »
Dorothy, what do you mean by rebuilding your teeth? I would definitely appreciate advice on how to improve my teeth. I have composite fillings on 12 of them and sensitivities on all of them. I also blame these for neck tensions and jaw problems. I read somewhere that some people even found ways to have their teeth fill the hole occupied by the filling and see the fillings themselves sort of been expelled from the tooth. All of that through proper nutrition only. Did you have a similar experience?

Yes, when eating properly for me I had two filling fall out and the inside of the tooth built up inside again - a layer inside - growing. My diet went down hill after hurricanes, moving, contractor horrors, family catastrophes - and so did my teeth with it. Finally after many years stress and difficulties are abating and proper diet will finally be able to fully embraced again and hoping that teeth will benefit once again. One of the things that I realized is that when I am eating the diet that is right for me, shoulder blade, neck and jaw tension all go away. The stomach meridian runs along the teeth. It's about proper energy flow. I think that the proper diet is going to be different for different people. I think what gives stress to the digestive system can be different things. That's why there is no one recipe. If you eat something you are allergic to or which your body does not want or cannot process well - that's going to stress out the whole system - including the teeth. If you are under high stress that's also going to have an effect. That's why I have a long way to climb back now. But I know it's possible from my earlier experiences. 

Offline RedMeat

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 05:37:04 am »
Yes, when eating properly for me I had two filling fall out and the inside of the tooth built up inside again - a layer inside - growing.

Very interesting. What are the best foods for teeth according to you? Are you 100% raw? Do you eat dairy? Many say bone stock is great for teeth but that's not raw. Have you tried it?

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 06:37:28 am »
Redmeat - again I would say that the most important thing is to eat what is best for YOU as an individual - what does not mess up your stomach meridian energy, what doesn't zap your reserves, what feeds you and your particular needs the best.

When I was rebuilding my teeth I was a vegan - most of the time raw and often very high raw - but I certainly wouldn't recommend that to anyone as a way to regrow teeth!

First think about taking the stress off of your body and system. How can you do that best? What do you digest the easiest? What foods makes you feel the best physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually? Those are the foods that are going to rebuild your teeth because your teeth regrow when you are eating what makes you the most healthy. The teeth are an indicator of your vitality, meridians flowing properly and your nutrient uptake and stores. It's not always the details of what you are putting in - but how much you are using, how well what you do have digests and how well you can get rid of what you don't need. This might change over the course of your life as well. There is no one diet for growing teeth back just like there is no one ideal diet for everyone. Some people do well on more meat, some more fat, some more fruit, some more veggies etc. etc. I don't think you have to have any one particular thing. Some particular thing might help you as an individual - but I'm afraid that you will have to experiment with yourself to find out what that might be. For me as an individual, I seemed always to need a lot of fat - always - even as a vegan. I mean - not a lot compared to the general cooked SAD high fat diet - I mean - avocados are one of my favorite foods, I've always used oils and eaten soaked and dehydrated nuts - and now I can get my fat needs taken care of more easily with raw animal fats. We'll just have to see over time how my teeth react. For me the one key is to never ever ever eat processed sugars. Those are deadly for me. Whole grains - fine. Fruit - fine. Raw honey - fine. Agave nectar, cane sugar, white breads and especially white sugar all hurt my teeth almost instantly - because they hurt my energy instantly. It's almost like I'm allergic to them or something. Diabetes runs in my family and the one thing that helped my health more than anything was giving up all that fake sweet stuff. As long as I didn't eat that my teeth did well. Again - that is totally just me - the basics of what my body reacts the best and worst to. It's all about finding out what makes your stomach, your digestion, your energy the strongest. 

Oh - and I did try bone stock and it made me feel sick. All cooked fats seem to make me weaker rather than stronger - and raw fats make me feel stronger. If there is one thing that I really need to concentrate on eating raw it's fat... as much as I possibly can, within the context of my overall life, circumstances and goals.

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 01:50:50 pm »
That is so interesting Dorothy!
I am hoping that my two cavities remineralize, but they have fillings on top of them so I dunno if they will or not.  Either way, i need to get the nasty amalgam fillings removed sometime in the near future.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 06:36:07 pm »
That is so interesting Dorothy!
I am hoping that my two cavities remineralize, but they have fillings on top of them so I dunno if they will or not.  Either way, i need to get the nasty amalgam fillings removed sometime in the near future.

You planning on just getting them removed or also replaced with something less harmful? I want to get my amalgam fillings removed sometime too when I can afford it, but I don't know if I should replace them or just leave the teeth with a big hole in and hope it remineralizes and doesn't get infected.
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 11:31:37 pm »
I'm wondering the same thing, Haai....:-S

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 01:38:20 am »
When my teeth were filling in I had a couple of dentists willing to take out all my other fillings and watch them grow in too -- it had to be pretty interesting right? But I'm really glad that it never felt quite right to do it because the hurricanes and then the contractors hit and the two teeth that had been growing back that had naturally lost their fillings went down-hill very fast. I had ruptured the ligaments in my knee (accident at the gym and gardening) then 3 hurricanes, then contractor tortures and then Mom - one thing after another left me many years unable to eat what I needed to eat. The hurricanes and me with a walker and unable to get my own food though were the thing that really took my teeth down fast. I've decided that the number one evil kind of food preparation that will take your health down the fastest is microwaving. The best I was able to get was supposedly healthy foods that were heated in a microwave. Those two teeth that were unfilled crumbled down so fast on that food. The only thing that could have been worse would have been processed sugar I think. It amazed me that I was still able to heal up my knee naturally with no surgery on that junk. Herbs can do amazing things.

If you guys want to experiment - have only one amalgam taken out on a back tooth (maybe a wisdom tooth?) and hopefully a small cavity and have it filled with a temporary filling and then let that filling fall out on its own. Having that decayed material removed like they do when preparing for a temporary filling seems to help.

But ......  I would never do that unless you felt amazing. You should have enough energy to run non-stop without ever having to stop because you can't do any more. You should be able to pick up heavy weights just because you are naturally strong - not because you work out. You should wake up in the morning filled with energy. You should be naturally happy and bounce through your day. You should feel a little bit like you are in love all the time no matter who you are with or where you are. Your food should be a delight to you and there should be no aches and pains in your body and you should be quite flexible. Of course you should never have cold or the flu when others do around you - you should be able to be in a whole ward of sick people and be fine. That's what being healthy and having meridians open is like and that's what it takes to re-grow teeth I think.

Get all that set up for yourself and then it might be worth experimenting with your teeth. If you do experiment - if it doesn't work and you can't seem to get your diet pinpointed to where it does - then there is really no shame in having some fillings. It's not really the most important goal in one's life and having decay is a real bitch let me tell you. There is almost nothing that hurts more than when teeth really break down and it's so distracting and infections in the teeth are more difficult to reverse than most infections and can do more harm I think. So - don't chance it until you feel totally wonderful and feel like that feeling is likely to be something that you can maintain. I guess you can't always predict hurricanes - but you know what I mean - it is most prudent to feel stable in your health and prospects for health in the future I think before experimenting with the more esoteric indicators of health when the experimentation could possibly be harmful. It is a natural progression I think. For me, my body felt so good that it through out those old fillings and grew new ones back. I felt so strong at the time that I could trust that process. It was natural - not forced. 

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 08:07:38 am »
Hi Dorthy
    I have femoral avulsion fracture from my ACL and a medial meniscus tear in the inner 1/3, where it supposedly cannot heal. I want to run and jump again so badly. I'm setting up a consult for surgery 2/28. I'm going to try a Chinese medicine poultice for 3 days first. What happened to your knee? Do you think it can heal? I don't know why I believe that I can heal diabetes, and nearsightedness, but I have so little faith that I can heal my knee.
     I have said I would rather die than get surgery. I feel like the universe threw this in my face to make me more humble. It worked -[
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 10:25:17 am »
Hi Adora,

I used a particular herb to heal called comfrey - aka knit-bone. It's called knit-bone because, well, it's amazing at knitting bones and cartilages back together. I made a poultice and took small amounts internally.

BUT, BUT, BUT - comfrey has been pretty much banned because of some stupid study using outrageous amounts on mice.

The thing is that it is hard on the liver. So....... I took MORE milk thistle herb than I took comfrey - and again - used mostly poultice. I'm used to meditating on such things and I'm used to using herbs. My liver is kind of sensitive - but with the proper herbal precautions I had no ill effects - just healing. I would never recommend it internally if the person couldn't talk to their liver like I do.  ;)

But, but, but again - I had to stay very, very still a very, very long time. You should have seen the look on the woman's face who helped me get all my Mom's equipment when I asked her for a brace and a walker. She told me out right that I simply could not heal and basically that I was a lunatic and I should go and get surgery. It took about a half a year before I could go back and do some deep knee bends and jumps for her.  ;)  I had to stay in bed for months. And that darn hurricane had to happen right smack in the middle of it all!

Sometimes surgery really is the way to go. Sometimes it can make other parts of life easier and sometimes it doesn't make sense to go through everything you have to to heal naturally and sometimes - you really just can't. Only you can really know. Again - there is no shame in it - especially when you make the decision from an informed and enlightened place.

I'm healing my eyes now too. When my Mom was sick I didn't realize that my driver's license expired. I'm taking using the opportunity to heal up the ol' eyeballs since now I can go without putting on my glasses. I've been wanting to do that for decades. It's great fun to see things go from blurry to clear to blurry to clear. Now I can see well enough without glasses and can't put on my glasses either because my eyes have changed. The change all depends on if I do my healings on myself or not. It's one of the things I've been having issues with - getting myself to do that. I almost kinda forget about it. I get excited about other things instead. Maybe you can help remind me. Whenever I check in here, maybe I can think of you and that will remind me to do some healing on my eyes.

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 11:06:14 am »
Are you doing anything else to heal your eyes besides just not wearing glasses, Dorothy?  Do you know what your prescription was?  My eyes are pretty bad (-5 and -6 with astigmatism in both)--without glasses or contacts (which I usually wear) I can only see about 6 inches in front of my face clearly.  I've worn glasses since 1st or 2nd grade I think. 
I'd really love to be able to at least partially heal my eyesight.  I have heard from random places that wearing prescription glasses to correct your vision actually can make it worse.  My eyes haven't changed in the past couple years, but up until then they would get worse every year by a little. 
Oh how nice it would be to be able to just SEE, right away in the morning!
I also heard about something called sungazing (from Al I think) that is supposed to help heal your eyes, but you have to do it at at certian times (I think just after sunrise or before sunset) without glasses or contacts, and with my job there just isn't any way I can do that. :-(  And I just realized my contacts say they are "UV proof" or something like that!!  Which pisses me off, because I think you absorb a lot of sunlight through your eyes, which I'm probably not doing now...stupid things :-S

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 11:47:22 am »

I'd really love to be able to at least partially heal my eyesight.  I have heard from random places that wearing prescription glasses to correct your vision actually can make it worse.  My eyes haven't changed in the past couple years, but up until then they would get worse every year by a little. 
Oh how nice it would be to be able to just SEE, right away in the morning!
I also heard about something called sungazing (from Al I think) that is supposed to help heal your eyes, but you have to do it at at certian times (I think just after sunrise or before sunset) without glasses or contacts, and with my job there just isn't any way I can do that.

I actually sungaze at all hours of the day.  If you are doing it closer to noon, just start out looking near the sun, instead of directly at it. 

I have also heard pinhole glasses are good for your vision. 

Tyler Durden has used the Bates vision improvement method, with some success, I think.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 12:28:59 pm »
I wrote a really long response about healing of the eyes, but my screen is tiny so I can't see when what I wrote didn't post without scrolling - so since Cherimoya posted while I was writing and I hit post and then moved onto another post without scrolling - I lost the whole thing - and now not enough time to recreate! Grrrrr.

Funny I couldn't see something so lost my post on sight.

Maybe it was not meant to be... or maybe I should pm you instead later.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk