Author Topic: Getting fresh seafood delivered?  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Getting fresh seafood delivered?
« on: December 19, 2011, 12:16:16 pm »
I live in Wisconsin, so obviously not near anywhere I can get good-quality fresh seafood.  All of the fresh seafood at grocery stores here is farmed (and probably previously frozen) and the one wild-caught thing I can find (salmon) is frozen and I'd rather a saltwater-only fish because of the parasite issue, if its going to be a staple in my diet.  I really want to include some seafood in my diet, though--especially some type of fish for sashimi and oysters or scallops for the vitamins.

I've been doing a lot of searching online, but I'm not sure which place is best to go with.  Shipping from most places is INSANE (like the ones in CA and WA), so it'd be nice if I could find somewhere at least sort-of nearby (like maybe east coast/FL?).  Any suggestions?  Thank you so much! 

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Getting fresh seafood delivered?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 01:13:20 pm »
Shipping from most places is INSANE (like the ones in CA and WA) 

To put it in a different perspective, I live in CA and I can get decent local seafood at great prices, but the rent I pay to live here is INSANE! As far as bringing my food costs down, the best strategy I have found is to keep my eyes and ears open for unexplored buying options, and settle for in-season/local foods whenever possible. When I was first eating RPD, my cost per edible pound of beef was over $10/pound, now it is under $5/pound. I switched from fresh wild salmon to frozen wild sashimi-grade salmon and saved more than half the price. Ask around, for example, at sushi restaurants in your larger cities, and find out where they are buying and what you can order from them. Find the wholesale markets where the food comes in to your city by train or truck, and talk to the brokers for the kind of foods you want. I have found that time has worked in my favor as I look for and uncover places to buy good food.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 02:30:00 pm »
   Don't know if you knew or not, but most salmon served by sushi bars, even high end ones, is farmed.  Their clients like it more because it has more fat, and is milder in taste, also cheaper for them to buy.  You can usually tell just by looking at it,  pale, and alternating even rows of fat between the 'meat'.   

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 11:09:52 am »
Don't know how it is in all states, but in California, seafood must be labeled with country of origin, fresh/frozen, and wild-caught/farmed.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 01:05:22 pm »
Well, I did some searching around at local groceries, and found some wild "sashimi-grade" (previously frozen) tuna, that is pretty tasty, and some large-ish oysters that I had one of and it was interesting in a good way (my first oyster LOL).  And they have wild scallops, too!  YAY!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk