Author Topic: Question re website maintenance  (Read 5867 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Question re website maintenance
« on: October 10, 2008, 09:09:47 pm »
How often do websites get updated, usually? (If they're moderately popular). It's just that I've sent some data to be uploaded(for download by other users) to 1 particular website and I have been promised that it will go up on the next site update.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Satya

Re: Question re website maintenance
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 09:45:40 pm »
It really depends on many factors.  Is it a commercial site with time sensitive information?  If not, then it's really up to the owner/webmaster.  For instance, I own and operate http://www.rawpaleodiet.com, an informational site on RPD.  But then, I have many other clients whose sites I must update more regularly than my volunteer effort.  It really just depends.  Is the owner technically challenged?  Perhaps updates are a scary thing to the owner.  Many, many considerations.  You could always politely ask about it.

I enjoy the rawpaleo.com site, and I will continue to update it over the years as time allows.  And speaking of that, Tyler, I notice that you posted dairy dangers here on the forum.  Perhaps you cleaned it up some?  May I take it and post it on rawpaleo.com this month?  I can format links and such (and hopefully it is nowhere near the length of the BYV debunking article, as spectacular as that piece is).  And any of you who wish to have your story posted on the site, send me a personal message.  Those of you with journals could easily cut and paste the portions you want for your testimonial and send that in to me.  It is a community effort, and I am very happy to include as many ideas and points of view as possible ... so long as they are supportive of some sort of RAF diet.  If any of you want to write an article, I can give credit and all that jazz as desired (or not).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 03:06:17 pm by Craig »

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 12:33:09 am »
Maybe if we transform the rawpaleo.com website to use a CMS like Wordpress or CMS Made Simple, Geoff can make the changes himself if he is given Editor access level.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 12:39:41 am »
Maybe if we transform the rawpaleo.com website to use a CMS like Wordpress or CMS Made Simple, Geoff can make the changes himself if he is given Editor access level.

I have no idea what CMS even is. The thing is that I am so technologically illiterate that there's no point in putting me in charge of anything of that kind.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 12:42:58 am »
CMS = Content Management System

It is a kind of website that allows non-tech people like you to edit website pages, just like you are able to moderate posts in this forum.

Since you can post in this forum and you can edit posts in this forum then you can manage editing a CMS website.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 12:51:51 am »
It really depends on many factors.  Is it a commercial site with time sensitive information?  If not, then it's really up to the owner/webmaster.  For instance, I own and operate rawpaleo.com, an informational site on RPD.  But then, I have many other clients whose sites I must update more regularly than my volunteer effort.  It really just depends.  Is the owner technically challenged?  Perhaps updates are a scary thing to the owner.  Many, many considerations.  You could always politely ask about it.

I'm not sure I really want to, to be honest. The site has submissions guidelines. While I've fulfilled most of the criteria, I consider myself lucky to have had my data accepted and don't want to antagonise the owner(there aren't many such download-websites around for the subject). The website is an ad-supported website but not a company-based one, AFAIK.

I enjoy the rawpaleo.com site, and I will continue to update it over the years as time allows.  And speaking of that, Tyler, I notice that you posted dairy dangers here on the forum.  Perhaps you cleaned it up some?  May I take it and post it on rawpaleo.com this month?  I can format links and such (and hopefully it is nowhere near the length of the BYV debunking article, as spectacular as that piece is).  And any of you who wish to have your story posted on the site, send me a personal message.  Those of you with journals could easily cut and paste the portions you want for your testimonial and send that in to me.  It is a community effort, and I am very happy to include as many ideas and points of view as possible ... so long as they are supportive of some sort of RAF diet.  If any of you want to write an article, I can give credit and all that jazz as desired (or not).

Yes, the dairy dangers and info on toxins in cooked foods threads in the general section should probably be "sexed up" a lot more (to use a phrase borrowed from reports of Tony Blair's "weapons of mass destruction hoax!"). Give me a few weeks, though, to turn them into proper essays. I'll, later on, have to do the same thing for an anti-grains article, which is going to be difficult to do properly as it's a complex subject(I seriously doubt that there's anywhere near enough info online for an organ-meats article, and we're not allowed to filch entire essays on the subject by the WAPF). I'm no writer, so if others are willing to help, that would be most welcome - I'll post my efforts on the moderators site, and leave it to others to alter words/paragraphs or express opinions re my texts etc.

Oh, and if moderators come across any data that could/should  be added to the sticky topics already posted on the general discussions forum, feel free to add it in.
" Ron Paul.

Satya

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 01:12:54 am »

Not a bad idea, Edwin.  I'll look into that some time.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 02:53:35 am »
Well, the updates section of the website only included the two most recent updates(january and february 2008), and some much later updates starting from 2006 and working downwards. I'm hoping that they don't include all most recent updates and so will update within the next month or three.
" Ron Paul.

Satya

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 05:37:24 am »
Yes, the dairy dangers and info on toxins in cooked foods threads in the general section should probably be "sexed up" a lot more (to use a phrase borrowed from reports of Tony Blair's "weapons of mass destruction hoax!"). Give me a few weeks, though, to turn them into proper essays. I'll, later on, have to do the same thing for an anti-grains article, which is going to be difficult to do properly as it's a complex subject(I seriously doubt that there's anywhere near enough info online for an organ-meats article, and we're not allowed to filch entire essays on the subject by the WAPF). I'm no writer, so if others are willing to help, that would be most welcome - I'll post my efforts on the moderators site, and leave it to others to alter words/paragraphs or express opinions re my texts etc.

Excellent, Tyler.  Sex up the essay as you wish.  And please, stop saying you are no writer, k?  I mean, come on, you come up with some of the most helpful, comprehensive and thought-provoking commentary I have had the pleasure to read.  How many of us are here because of your influence?  (Chime in anytime, y'all.)  Really, with your experience, knowledge and commitment to a RAF diet, you should write a book.  You certainly could compile one with all of your mutterings in various places online alone!

Satya

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 08:24:45 am »
FWIW, I do plan to concentrate more on micro-controller technology in the future.  I want to focus on ideas that will help people and businesses measure energy/water usage at the very least.  So I will be spending less time on strictly software/web and more on programmable custom hardware in the coming years.  The economic and peak oil conditions will precipitate an evolution of living and thinking.  I want to play a positive part.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 06:47:07 am »
Hi Satya,

We do these CMS websites all the time.  We can volunteer a wordpress website really easy and fast.  We can make one and do a trial run with Geoff editing it.  If you think it works, I'll zip / tar it up and email the whole thing to you for you to host.

Let's try it out?

Satya

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 08:58:55 am »
Oh, my hosting company offers tons of choices for CMS and all that jazz for free.  I can set it up myself in the near future.  Thanks for offering, though.

xylothrill

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 09:10:07 am »
Excellent, Tyler.  Sex up the essay as you wish.  And please, stop saying you are no writer, k?  I mean, come on, you come up with some of the most helpful, comprehensive and thought-provoking commentary I have had the pleasure to read.  How many of us are here because of your influence?  (Chime in anytime, y'all.)  Really, with your experience, knowledge and commitment to a RAF diet, you should write a book.  You certainly could compile one with all of your mutterings in various places online alone!

I agree 100%! Geoff is one "non-writer" who I'd like to see keep writing and even eventually become the "non-author" of a much-needed book on Raw Paleo!  ;)

Craig

Satya

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 01:24:53 am »
Oh, my hosting company offers tons of choices for CMS and all that jazz for free.  I can set it up myself in the near future.  Thanks for offering, though.

And really, I will probably only do this once I get more interest from other people in writing articles, otherwise, there's no point in bothering.  In fact, I need to get myself interested in writing an article or so.  I think I will tackle the fitness page soon.  It's just that I am becoming more interested in programmable hardware than anything else just now.

I saw this piece on the bust of many funky social networking start ups that might interest some of you:
http://www.newsweek.com/id/163443

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk