Author Topic: Discoloration / Color Differences  (Read 4363 times)

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
  • microcosm monkey, navigating inner-space.
    • View Profile
Discoloration / Color Differences
« on: December 20, 2011, 03:29:50 am »
Hey all,
So I bought a few pounds of fresh bison skirt steak, which was delivered fresh on Friday. I put it all in a bowl and haven't eaten that much of it until today (Monday). I was taking a look at each of the steaks and I was wondering why some cuts have a browner color and others are more red. There is some blood in the bottom of the bowl so that could be the cause, but I was also wondering if it was fermenting over the past few days. If it was fermenting I was worried that I didn't give it enough air (I'm still a bit worried about botulism during the fermentation process). Also, some of the cuts smell a bit.

Does botulism smell? Is this safe to eat?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Discoloration / Color Differences
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 04:08:20 am »
It looks fine to me.  The browner parts had more oxygen.

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 09:05:07 am »
I have a question about this, too.  All my meat is prefrozen.  When I thaw out say, a roast, or a 1/2 heart or something, its enough to last me a week or me + my husband 3 or so days.  I've been letting the meat just sit in a lightly covered dish.  The edges do get brownish with time.  Is this OK?  Does pre-frozen meat "go off" quicker than fresh meat sitting in a fridge would?  I just remember reading many of you who get fresh meat just let it sit on a plate in the fridge for like a week and its OK, but just wondering if this applies to pre-frozen meat.  What about ground meat?

Offline zeno

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 11:28:02 am »
It looks fine to me.  The browner parts had more oxygen.

It's related to exposure to air; more air exposure will cause the meat to brown.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 11:47:42 am »
I leave my meat uncovered on the counter for hours and sometimes days. It seems more flavorful after a day of air drying out.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 01:09:14 pm »
Cool--good to know!
How long do you all leave beef suet out for?  I just realized mine's been sitting in the cupboard with a paper towel over it for like 4-5 days...it still smells and tastes the same as when I first set it out (very mild)!  Is it pretty shelf-stable?  I like it much better aged a bit and room temp...it gets kind of lighter and crispy.

And another question...I just realized NorthStar Bison is located like 4 hours from where I live!!!  So I can order fresh meat from them, via ground shipping (the cheapest option)!!!  I am trying to figure out what the best way to coordinate this would be...if any of you order fresh meat delivered, how much do you get at a time (for instance, a week's worth, or 2 weeks?) and how do you store it?

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 03:24:10 pm »
(I'm still a bit worried about botulism during the fermentation process). Also, some of the cuts smell a bit.

Does botulism smell? Is this safe to eat?

"Botulism" smells like butyric acid (Buttersäure). Not that I have ever smelled it... ;)
But I have eaten meat looking like yours 100 times and never got ill.

Inger

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
  • microcosm monkey, navigating inner-space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 08:23:43 pm »
Great. I'm still here so I think it's fine haha. Thank you all for your reply.

-zym.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk