Author Topic: Put your location in your profile  (Read 9416 times)

Offline PaleoKyle

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Put your location in your profile
« on: October 17, 2008, 12:50:21 am »
Many people indicate what country they are from, but if you are looking to connect with local RPDers than it might help to fill in the location section of your profile.

Offline rawesome

• Forager
    • View Profile
Re: Put your location in your profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 04:39:32 am »
But there is nowhere I can put my location on my profile  :o

Offline primalgirl

• Trapper
  • Love Raw Primal/Paleo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 07:28:25 am »
As for location...seems that there's flags but I never know which country they represent.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 09:41:42 am »
As for location...seems that there's flags but I never know which country they represent.

if you go directly to the profile you can see the country name.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 02:15:17 pm »
Put your pointer on the flag and the name of the country will appear!
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline jrawsychuk

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 04:22:38 am »
Do you need to achieve a certain status in order to create a detailed profile? I only have seen profile details for people with a lot of posts and some other title/status above 'forager'

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 06:01:21 am »
I would like to ask again for people here to post their photos, as I believe it would help us all here to better get to know who we're responding to.  I now it's just an image of a real person, but at least it will help with keeping people straight here, as it's so easy to mix up one name with another, especially when they're mostly make up names to begin with. 

Offline JeuneKoq

• Chief
  • It's french for "Cockerel"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 07:01:18 pm »
I would like to ask again for people here to post their photos, as I believe it would help us all here to better get to know who we're responding to.  I now it's just an image of a real person, but at least it will help with keeping people straight here, as it's so easy to mix up one name with another, especially when they're mostly make up names to begin with. 
Not everybody wants their face shown on a public internet forum, although I see your point about having perhaps more sincere/fair discussion with other forum members, if one gets to see how the other actually look like. However there are several reasons why other people, including myself, would choose not to post a personal photo.

First of all anonymity will make a person feel more comfortable of talking about issues or subjects sensible in its view. Why would a kid with raging face acne put a picture of himself on an open forum, to the risk of getting mocked at by some unworthy forum member(s)? It goes to the person to decide if he can trust the members of this forum to be considerate no matter what written material this person decides to post, or if he has to remain careful and not expose himself too much.

Anonymity also protects you, especially if you happen to be a very attractive woman, against constant harassing from overly crude (male) members. Of course you shouldn't necessarily assume that this situation would ever happen to you, or at least not in such an extreme way that you are then forced to leave this forum. Proof is a lot of attractive girl have made the choice of posting at least one picture of themselves on RPDF. I'm just saying this could be one reason why a person would not post pictures of themselves.

Finally, and something that I find quite amusing in a way, is the gap that you sometimes find between a member's profile pic and what is actually written by that same person. What's more surrealistic than two forum members getting at each other's throat on a chosen topic, while their profile pics show large smiling lads chilling in their backyard, come to think about it?
Of course after some time spent on different social networks you somehow develop the capacity to ignore the absurd break that sometimes happen between mood pictured and written content. Not a very natural thing IMO, but not such a serious issue either. Maybe it's better than no pics at all, if you follow Van's point...

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 11:53:42 pm »
Let me briefly address some of your comments.   First I think members who do make insulting remarks can do so more easily without a picture, as if they are hiding behind a no image, or stay anonymous.    Second, why not ask those who have posted pics if they've ever had their identity stolen or have had a problem with posting pics.  Third, we do have some Very beautiful women here.  Please let them chime in here if they've been harassed here.  And finally I don't think anyone here would be critical of someone with acne if they posted.   There are other sites, here too, where people severely overweight post before and after pics.  We do have moderators here, and I'm sure that sort of 'policing' would happen very quickly.    But please do with what you're comfortable with.  however in this world of electronic communication I for one miss putting a face to an email,  and I do think it keeps people safe and removed. 

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Post Personal Pictures in Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 06:16:49 am »
I agree with Van's suggestion of people posting their real faces.  Makes the communication more classically human... more natural.  Of course what % of people will actually post their faces is another matter.  But if we advertise the suggestion, then maybe we can get more faces.

I myself have this "privacy" issue, this is why I would rather post my babies' faces as my avatar.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 08:56:20 am by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk