Author Topic: no salt raw cheese  (Read 12450 times)

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
no salt raw cheese
« on: January 28, 2012, 02:38:20 am »
I cant seem to find a raw cheese in new york that wasnt salted. Even my raw dairy club puts salt in all their cheese. Is there somewhere I can order some no salt raw cheese online that will deliver to NY?
-----------

Offline reyyzl

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Chicken Schwarma
    • View Profile
Re: no salt raw cheese
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 08:53:59 am »
Try one of these-

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Detail.bok?no=1006, http://www.kuttercheese.com/products/product.html#raw_milk_mild_cheddar, http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawpaleodiet/message/4623

Shalom Farms Organic Cheese.
Shalom Farms,
RD 1, Box 1628A,
Bethel, PA 19507,
(717)933-4880.
All their cheeses are vegetarian. Raw milk and regular cheese.
"A genuine RPDer should always live by the coast." -TylerDurden Global Moderator Mammoth Hunter

Too often we get caught up trying to get to the end. What is most important however is to discover the beginning. We don’t solve problems or start to heal unless we can be willing, be kind, laugh a little and commit to seeking until we find. If we can, we’ll get started. I’ll meet you at the beginning!
“Reflections on My Travels…India” by Michael J Tamura ~ pg. 57

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 12:44:47 pm »
I soak slices of cheese in water for a couple hours to get rid of the salt.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 02:52:07 pm »
where did you get the idea that it gets rid of salt?
-----------

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 03:59:29 pm »
where did you get the idea that it gets rid of salt?

The soaked cheese tastes like salt-less cheese. The soaking water becomes salty.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 12:17:17 am »
Should I soak small pieces in the water or can I just put a large chunk in there? Does surface area matter when drawing out the salt? What made you try this?
-----------

Offline primalgirl

• Trapper
  • Love Raw Primal/Paleo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 01:01:21 am »
You are brilliant to think of this, Trader Joe's has raw cheese for a great price but of course it has salt! I'm going to try your method today. Thanks a million! you mentioned slices? guess I'll experiment on the size etc.

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 05:05:15 am »

You could soak big pieces as long as they are of uniform (more or less) thinness.  Yes surface area matters. You may start with 1/3 inch thinness. The thiner they are, the less time it requires to draw out the salt.  Experiment with it and you will know.

Cover all the cheese slices with water and leave it in the fridge, since truly raw cheese could go bad.  If the soaking water gets very salty and the cheese is still salty, just change the water.  Usually it takes me just one change of water to get the cheese salt-free.  My hard greyere cheese could stay in the water  for a few of days and still remain  tasty.  I  do not know about softer cheeses since greyere is about the only cheese I eat.

I order a whole wheel of cheese from a local farmer. The hard rind (sliced of course) could be softened when soaked in water for days.

After my salt-less cheese is made, I add the leftover salty saoking water to my piping hot herbal tea, just in case some nutrients are left in the soaking water. With the right proportion, the herbal tea/ soaking water mixture (still somewhat hot) is tasty like soup.  Yes I know the mixture is not "truly raw" then. I do not care.

Primalgirl, make sure Trader Joe's raw cheese is truly raw, never heated above 118 degree F.   I know certain "organic raw cheeses" sold at grocers have been heated to 150 degree F.  And the saleperson at grocers may  not be the one who knows for sure. I have to contact the manufacturers to find out. I get my truly raw cheese from a local farmer.

What made you try this?
You are insistent on this point, aren't you?  ;)   The idea just came to my mind  naturally.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 08:10:08 am »
Why not just make the raw cheese yourself?

Look around the web, find recipes and just make sure you don't have to heat it past 104 F.

You can buy rennet online as well a other things.

However, not all recipes that claim they are raw, are really raw. This goes for people who sell cookbooks.

Salt is added as a taste enhancer and also it prevents mould, which some people like anyways.
Cheers
Al

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 12:13:20 pm »
What kind of water is best used for soaking. I have a filter that is supposed to take out flouride and all that stuff, would that be good? Distilled would probably be best would it not since it has no form and is ready to absorb the best?
-----------

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 03:46:43 pm »
trollofthedungeon, I use filtered water.

Why not just make the raw cheese yourself?

Are you kidding? My favorite greyere cheese would take 6-9 months.
I feel very thankful that I have access to a local farmer who makes truly raw cheeses. When I buy a whole wheel (about 15 pounds), it is only about $11 a pound including shipping to my doorstep.  I would support his business rather than making my home a cheese factory.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 03:52:43 pm by Joy2012 »

Offline reyyzl

• Bear Hunter
  • Raw Chicken Schwarma
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 09:55:37 am »
Primalgirl, make sure Trader Joe's raw cheese is truly raw, never heated above 118 degree F.   I know certain "organic raw cheeses" sold at grocers have been heated to 150 degree F.  And the saleperson at grocers may  not be the one who knows for sure. I have to contact the manufacturers to find out. I get my truly raw cheese from a local farmer.

Last I checked with TJ they only 'thermalized' at a consistent 145 degrees throughout for fifteen minutes.
"A genuine RPDer should always live by the coast." -TylerDurden Global Moderator Mammoth Hunter

Too often we get caught up trying to get to the end. What is most important however is to discover the beginning. We don’t solve problems or start to heal unless we can be willing, be kind, laugh a little and commit to seeking until we find. If we can, we’ll get started. I’ll meet you at the beginning!
“Reflections on My Travels…India” by Michael J Tamura ~ pg. 57

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 11:03:03 am »
145 is too much.

Just tried my soaked cheese. Is it supposed to taste a lot worse? The soggyness doesnt help either. Maybe i did something wrong. I think I will go for the no salt added cheese instead of trying to soak it out.
-----------

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 11:38:15 am »
My soaked greyere cheese tastes better to me than the salted cheese. Is your cheese hard cheese?

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 11:58:05 am »
Yes why?
-----------

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 01:23:44 pm »
Yes why?
I just thought maybe hard cheese works better. Well, I hope you will find a salt-free raw cheese.

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 11:28:46 am »
145 is too much.

Just tried my soaked cheese. Is it supposed to taste a lot worse? The soggyness doesnt help either. Maybe i did something wrong. I think I will go for the no salt added cheese instead of trying to soak it out.

Maybe you do not like salt-free cheese? After all, the vast majority of people consider salt-free cheese tasteless, which is why the big dairy companies do not make it.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 01:36:59 pm »
Troll - usually with soaking equilibrium is achieved - whatever is saltier lends its salt to the other substance so that they both have the same amount of salt. Only something like rinsing would get rid of the salt and like you alluded to - with cheese the surface area isn't the only thing that is salty.

primalgirl - I doubt that TraderJoes has real raw cheese - or at least it's a crap shoot. They can start with raw milk but that doesn't mean it wasn't heated so if an ingredient is raw milk it might be like seeing eggs the ingredients on something - you don't assume that the eggs haven't been cooked.

Offline primalgirl

• Trapper
  • Love Raw Primal/Paleo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 04:09:13 am »
DARN so Trader Joe's raw cheddar is BS!!! 145 degrees is not raw! Organic Pastures used to ship no salt raw cheese to my local health food store but don't any longer guess just too tasteless, it was too tasteless for me!! sometimes I make a simple cheese from raw milk but...actually dairy gives me mucus and after a month or so I get real tired in the middle of the day and have to give it up again. Using raw butter now since I can't find any real organic grass fed bone marrow that hasn't been frozen and Aajonus sez that toxins are stored in glands and bone marrow...

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 05:25:17 am »
Primalgirl, nothing wrong with frozen marrow bones. I eat them all the time. Also, raw beef fat is a cheap inexpensive form of fat
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk