Author Topic: Paleodiet and hairloss  (Read 18446 times)

Offline aaaa3481

• Forager
    • View Profile
Paleodiet and hairloss
« on: February 04, 2012, 10:18:16 am »
Hi guys, i'm a new member.
I've read Robb Wolf book and i've started paleodiet since one month.
I've a problem: i've noticed hairloss, and a hair miniaturitazion.

Does anyone know for which reason?

I eat a lot of vegetables, and also fruit, meat, fish, dry fruit.

Thanks

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Paleodiet and hairloss
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 11:08:14 am »
Hi guys, i'm a new member.
I've read Robb Wolf book and i've started paleodiet since one month.
I've a problem: i've noticed hairloss, and a hair miniaturitazion.

Does anyone know for which reason?

I eat a lot of vegetables, and also fruit, meat, fish, dry fruit.

Thanks

Do not eat dried (dry) fruit. It turned my hair gray for a while.

Offline aaaa3481

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 02:17:54 am »
So in your opinion does dried fruit provoke hairloss?
It seems strange...

Other experiences?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 03:54:51 am »
So in your opinion does dried fruit provoke hairloss?

Not hairloss, necessarily, but it's bad for you, very bad.

Offline aaaa3481

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 08:35:40 am »
dried fruit very bad???

Studies say that dried fruit have a lot of nutritious.
For example studies say that walnuts and almonds are very good for the health.

Why do you say that?

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 11:38:55 am »
Danny Roddy has a whole website devoted to diet and hairloss.  Its www.dannyroddy.com .  He's not necesarrily 100% raw paleo, but kind of has a mashup of paleo + Ray Peat style dietary suggestions (he even has a post called something like 'Raw Paleo + Ray Peat = FTW!'). 
He has a free "quick start" guide you can download I think.  I've found going back and reading past blog posts and comments very informative.
Hope that helps! :-)

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 12:21:18 pm »
dried fruit very bad???

Why do you say that?

Are you a spammer?  Nuts and dried fruit are not the same.

I don't know why dried fruit is bad, but most raw foodists I know who have tried raw veganism have gotten sick from eating too much dried fruit at some time.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 01:28:23 pm »
The big difficulty with dried fruit is that you can so easily eat way more than you would of the whole natural fruit - too much. And then, you just gotta drink enough water to make up for the fact that the fruit is all dried out - which almost no one that eats dried does. It's easy to get dehydrated eating dried fruit if you are not careful.

You seem to be eating bars with dried fruit and nuts in them or something like that.... what are you eating?

Offline aaaa3481

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 04:48:26 pm »
Are you a spammer?  Nuts and dried fruit are not the same.

I don't know why dried fruit is bad, but most raw foodists I know who have tried raw veganism have gotten sick from eating too much dried fruit at some time.

I'm italian and here walmuts and almonds are called "dried fruit".
When i talk about dried fruit i mean that.

Offline aaaa3481

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 04:52:20 pm »
The big difficulty with dried fruit is that you can so easily eat way more than you would of the whole natural fruit - too much. And then, you just gotta drink enough water to make up for the fact that the fruit is all dried out - which almost no one that eats dried does. It's easy to get dehydrated eating dried fruit if you are not careful.

You seem to be eating bars with dried fruit and nuts in them or something like that.... what are you eating?

Since 1 month i'm eating:   white meat, tuna in olive oil, mackerel, fruit, nuts, a lot of vegetables (not legumes).
I'm following the book of Robb Wolf.....
For this reason i don't understand why i'm losing hair and why i have more dandruff.

Offline achillezzz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 10:53:22 pm »
dried fruit very bad???

Why do you say that?

You seem very confident.. Please enlighten us with some of those studies you were talking about...

Offline aaaa3481

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 01:32:31 am »
You seem very confident.. Please enlighten us with some of those studies you were talking about...

There are various studies, it's sufficient that you visit pubmed site. (i talk expecially about walnuts).

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 03:57:05 am »
Since 1 month i'm eating:   white meat, tuna in olive oil, mackerel, fruit, nuts, a lot of vegetables (not legumes).
I'm following the book of Robb Wolf.....
For this reason i don't understand why i'm losing hair and why i have more dandruff.

Is any of that fish canned or preserved?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 08:13:15 am »
Hi aaaa3481, In the USA "dried fruit" is used to refer to sugary fruits like pineapple, mango, bananas, dates, etc. that have been dehydrated. My guess is that is what Cherimoya was referring to when he warned against eating dried fruit. What is that sort of dried fruit called in Italy?

Almonds and walnuts are called "nuts" in the USA, even though they aren't true nuts.

What are the vegetables you're eating?

I've managed to slow down, though not completely halt, my hairloss. Interestingly, less than two years ago Matt Stone, a diet guru and critic of Paleo and raw Paleo who claimed his diet advice was good for avoiding hair loss, had significantly more hair than me. Now I have significantly more than him. Eight years ago I was losing my hair rapidly, like Matt apparently is now, for whatever reason (I'm not necessarily blaming his diet).

I recently got my driver's license updated, including a new photo, and noticed that my hair looks about the same as it did four years ago, which surprised me. I think I have lost more hair since then, but it isn't particularly noticeable in the photos. It's nothing much to brag about though, as I am partially bald, so it wouldn't likely impress anyone.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 08:54:59 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline aaaa3481

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 06:47:28 am »
Hi aaaa3481, In the USA "dried fruit" is used to refer to sugary fruits like pineapple, mango, bananas, dates, etc. that have been dehydrated. My guess is that is what Cherimoya was referring to when he warned against eating dried fruit. What is that sort of dried fruit called in Italy?

Almonds and walnuts are called "nuts" in the USA, even though they aren't true nuts.

What are the vegetables you're eating?

I've managed to slow down, though not completely halt, my hairloss. Interestingly, less than two years ago Matt Stone, a diet guru and critic of Paleo and raw Paleo who claimed his diet advice was good for avoiding hair loss, had significantly more hair than me. Now I have significantly more than him. Eight years ago I was losing my hair rapidly, like Matt apparently is now, for whatever reason (I'm not necessarily blaming his diet).

I recently got my driver's license updated, including a new photo, and noticed that my hair looks about the same as it did four years ago, which surprised me. I think I have lost more hair since then, but it isn't particularly noticeable in the photos. It's nothing much to brag about though, as I am partially bald, so it wouldn't likely impress anyone.

Can you say me which foods do you eat ?
ALL foods that you eat.
Thanks..

Offline aaaa3481

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 06:54:18 am »
Is any of that fish canned or preserved?

yes, why?

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 10:01:55 am »
My Current Staple Foods:

Fertile chicken eggs and duck eggs
100% Grassfed ground beef
Fats: Bone Marrow, Suet, RFCLO, lard (all grassfed, pastured or wild)
Wild fish: yellowfin tuna, salmon, large fresh sardines, clams, and other wild fish
100% Grassfed Liver, chicken hearts and other organs
Carrots and Parsnips (edible raw, though occasionally cooked on the 'warm' setting in the crockpot with bones)
Lemons (I squeeze the juice out of them)
Blackberries
Bone broth, usually made with pastured marrow bones or large fresh wild sardines (including heads)
Really Raw brand fermented raw honey (does wonders for my hair and scalp flakes for some reason, perhaps the antifungal elements, though this didn't work for a friend of mine)
Raw fermented sauerkraut
Duck breast
Raw high vitamin butter oil (for the vitamin K2, as an experiment)
Water, mineral water, teas

My Current Secondary Foods:

Fresh figs (not dried), raspberries, wild Maine blueberries and other fruits/berries
Pastured ground bison or pork, pork loin, top round steak, ribeye steak, wild oysters and other meats/fish/organs including occasional wild meats like deer meat, liver or suet
Tallow
Raw celery and other nonstarchy veggies
Raw aged Spanish sheep milk cheese
Ginger, raw fresh or pickled
Raw or pickled horseradish
Wasabi mustard
Kelp
Sea salt, black pepper, spices
Occasional coffee
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:15:58 pm by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 11:57:06 am »
yes, why?

If the dandruff or hair loss started soon after you started eating that fish, or eating more of it, then that canned/preserved fish is probably the cause.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 03:16:28 pm »
Really Raw brand fermented raw honey (does wonders for my hair and scalp flakes for some reason, perhaps the antifungal elements, though this didn't work for a friend of mine)

Ah, so you use the honey for hair dressing?  Never thought of that.  A pretty good use for it.  Much better for you than eating it.   (Said with tongue firmly planted in cheek).

Sorry, just couldn't resist....

Lex

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 07:56:07 pm »
 ;)

Yeah, fermented honey has been the single most surprising food I've tried. The benefits it provides me defy the advice of most diet gurus, including all the Paleo diet gurus I can think of. I guess it's not quite as outlandish as Danny Roddy's eating processed table sugar and Ray Peat drinking Coca Cola, though.

Interestingly, deriving benefit from honey doesn't appear to run counter to the views and practices of hunter gatherers, who I've never seen discourage anyone from eating wild honey (we wouldn't want to commit the mortal sin of Paleo re-enactment, though ;) ). That said, I've noticed only ill effects from unfermented raw honey, so the fermented aspect is apparently key for me.

Oddly enough, my hair feels thicker and "cleaner" when I eat it and I find I don't need to wash it as often. Perhaps it's a little less oily.

Your joke got me wondering. I did some Googling, and sure enough, honey has been regarded by some as a hair treatment going way back (including even for hair loss). Before I tried fermented honey, I probably would have just scoffed at that, especially in the early days of my ZC experiment.

It's also interesting that Danny Roddy, the hair loss expert, is eating sugar these days. I wonder if there's some connection there? I told him about the benefits I got from fermented honey and he guessed it could be due to the antifungal/antibacterial properties, which was my hunch as well, but maybe there's something even more to it that could also explain why Danny and Ray Peat think they do better when they consume sugar or fruit? The antifungal effect wouldn't appear to explain why my hair would become seemingly less oily.

Has Danny explained to you why he and Ray consume sugar? Is it to keep cortisol levels low or something?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:04:39 pm by PaleoPhil »

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 05:47:38 am »
Phil, it also could be the minerals from the honey - but also your bone broth.
I had started my mother on ionic minerals and her totally white and very scarce hair not only grew in thicker but turned black again!

I've been guessing since then that hair loss has to do with minerals.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 10:05:30 am »
Except that the hair and skin benefits from raw fermented honey occurred before I started consuming bone broth and go away if I go too many days without consuming raw fermented honey even when consuming bone broths.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 12:14:02 pm »
Phil, it also could be the minerals from the honey - but also your bone broth.
I had started my mother on ionic minerals and her totally white and very scarce hair not only grew in thicker but turned black again!

I've heard of this effect with ormus copper. Which minerals were you giving her?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk