Author Topic: How dangerous is it for me to be regularly eating wild fish from the supermarket  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Spirit Bear

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Money is tight at the moment and I'm not able to buy most of the foods I'd like to, but for a while now I've been eating wild red snapper raw from the supermarket. This particular store is a small chain and I know they're especially conscious of cleanliness from friends who have worked there in the past. I'm second-guessing the risk I'm taking because I don't really know anything about the shipping/handling practices of supermarket fish or how many people are eating it raw in this area. I don't want to freeze it before eating because I don't like it once it's defrosted. Thanks for reading  :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 09:44:08 am by Spirit Bear »

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
I wouldn't worry too much.  I've done that hundreds of times.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
The fact that it is WILD, speaks loudly.
Just find ways to clean fish thoroughly to be free of mishandling. (who knows what chemicals they put in the fish to preserve it? formalin?)
And you still need to judge and pick for freshness.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
I shop at a small supermarket chain, and I know that they bend over backwards for me by answering any questions I ask them and fixing things the way I like 'em. I eat a lot of raw snapper, it's a good raw fish. As GS said, you want to ask about chemicals, particularly if the fish is displayed as fillets on ice. Cut fish is sometimes coated with chemical to prevent drying out. If they get the fish in whole, you can ask them to fillet it to order.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Spirit Bear

• Trapper
    • View Profile
Thanks, this is all really helpful. I'll ask them if anything is sprayed onto them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk