1 (50%)
or from supplements?
0 (0%)
How much is to much?
0 (0%)
How much is to little?
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Calcium?  (Read 8843 times)

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Calcium?
« on: February 10, 2012, 01:45:12 am »
Do we need it?

No other animals seem to need calcium past a certain age?

Are we ok to not drink milk, or take calcium supplements?

I don't like calcium supplements or dairy. Any advice please?
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Calcium?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 01:47:35 am »
I don't think we need calcium, there's the answer to my poll. I weaned from dairy a loooong time ago. When I was a kid.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 02:12:19 am by TylerDurden »
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 02:04:38 am »
Nobody "needs" to consume any particular food item. This is proven by the wild variation in diets in the world.

Our bodies either do or do not like certain items. It's silly to say that everybody or nobody should eat this or that.

People who say these thing are tight full of s#*t.

Dairy is great for some and bad for others.

As far as the arguments about humans not evolving to eat the glandular secretions of other mammals, that is like the nonsense about humans being vegetarians because we don't have teeth and digestive systems like wolves and the other silly argument that we shouldn't eat vegetable matter because we don't have teeth and digestive systems like cows.

Theories are fun to make. Elvis is alive and well in Manila.

As far as supplements go, I am disinclined to take them, and I suspect they are a scam, but there are folks out there who have been saved by them, so go figure.

Aajonus describes very vividly how the manufacturers make supplements in one his film clips where he is speaking at a conference on Cancer. Turned me off to supplements.
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 02:06:34 am »
To me if you have symptoms of a deficiency that is clear and unmistakeable then find food that you like and has the deficient items and consume it.
Cheers
Al

Offline superja

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 06:02:10 am »
Realistically, if you are eating a proper diet you should have no need for supplements. If you are taking supplements for a deficiency, this means you need to evaluate your diet.

If you are worried about calcium, it is possible to get it without eating dairy. Salmon bones are a good source.

It's also found in almonds, broccoli, and oranges.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 07:33:38 am »
Thanks for all the help, your all far to helpful.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 07:56:50 am »
I still need to supplement, I feel addicted to certain foods.

Offline White shark

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 06:48:01 am »
I eat Okinawa coral calcium. I think its much better than other calcium supplements.  There is not as many minerals in the soil today, as there was before we began cultivating it, even if you eat organic foods. To stay healthy for a long life, i think its a good idea with good supplements.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 08:58:46 am »
I go back and forth in my belief about the need for extra calcium in the diet. 

I eat the whole animal so I assume that there is enough of that mineral in the different tissues. I eat all the organs and connective tissues, crack open the bones and eat the marrow.

On occasion I will make my own bone meal with a rasp. I get a couple of tablespoons worth and chew it like a wad of gum. I think its good for cleaning and mineralizing the teeth, as well as ensuring the body gets an optimal  amount of minerals. My kids like to eat it too.

A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk