Author Topic: Sam's Club, Costco, other large distributors, etc.  (Read 5530 times)

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Sam's Club, Costco, other large distributors, etc.
« on: February 12, 2012, 02:09:07 pm »
Is it ok to eat beef at these places?
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Sam's Club, Costco, other large distributors, etc.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 01:55:32 am »
You can bring meat and eat it there,  ;D but I wouldn't buy it from them.

I say this because I assume that they are part of the larger food distribution system that has a track record of creating very low quality foods.
Cheers
Al

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 12:19:10 pm »
I eat publix beef.. Eggs too. What other publix foods can I eat raw? Suggestions on how to eat them?
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 02:27:15 pm »
The Publix supermarket chain is not nationwide, so it would be hard to comment on the source of their meat products. You can ask the butchers there about some of the topics you read about on this forum, such as, "Is your beef grass-fed and grass-finished?" Usually, the butcher departments in my area make a big fuss over the fact that their beef is grass-fed. Markets with grain-finished beef do not advertise about it. Another thing I look for in a butcher department is whether they buy their beef whole and butcher it, versus buying primal cuts that a wholesale processor has processed. If they do their own butchering, I think I get better meat.

Eggs are trickier to buy - most say "cage-free" or "organic" but that does not mean that they are eating a natural diet and have a rooster present. I try to get my eggs from small, local farms.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 12:50:50 am »
I spent an afternoon on the phone calling butchers. Most had a person answering the phone who knew nothing and when asked if the beef was grass fed they said yes. One even said "Of course it is, all cattle eat grass".

Of course this was nonsense and I even tried drawing them out, by explaining that I didn't want cattle that were fed any grain, to which they answered it was all - not fed grain. Then I noticed some frozen meats there from a farmer who I know feeds the animals grain.

Just asking is not enough it seems, because people neither know nor care and there is a perception as I have seen in restaurants where grain finished is considered bonus.
Cheers
Al

Offline gc

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 01:03:19 am »
The bulk of Publix meat is not grass-finished.

I used to shop there when I lived in Florida. They're one of the cleaner and generally better of the supermarket chains in terms of variety. But they still sell grain-finished. If it's grass-finished they'll say so and charge a premium for it.

I just moved to North Carolina and all we really have is Food Lion. By contrast, one could not find a worse supermarket if one looked.
insert signature here

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 04:17:23 am »

I just moved to North Carolina and all we really have is Food Lion. By contrast, one could not find a worse supermarket if one looked.

Sure you can.  I'm pretty sure Winn-Dixie is even worse.  ROFL

I grew up in NC and have lived there most of my life.  Recently I moved to Virginia, but I'm back in NC every weekend.  Where do you live?

Offline gc

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 11:04:28 am »
Sure you can.  I'm pretty sure Winn-Dixie is even worse.  ROFL

I grew up in NC and have lived there most of my life.  Recently I moved to Virginia, but I'm back in NC every weekend.  Where do you live?

Winn-Dixie is in Florida. I'd have killed to have a Winn-Dixie! They had.. *gasp*... variety. Try any Food Lion in or around Lexington, NC and if you're reading this forum, you'll leave the store empty-handed. I did, many times.

I'm back in Minnesota now. I'd expected to find that Bison (or grass-finished cow) would have been easier to get here (or at least a little cheaper), but no. Just as rare to find and bloody expensive as anywhere in the East. But Sweet Holy Jebnizz every chain grocery store near me is huge and has everything. I honestly can name only one thing I can't get at any of them: grass-finished beef.
insert signature here

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 09:09:52 pm »
I guess I'm lucky. I have two whole foods near by.

I typically buy 2-3 pounds of fatty grass fed beef per visit

Offline gc

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 12:14:51 am »
Maybe I'll see if I can find one here. Would be out of place that there wouldn't be one.
insert signature here

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk