Author Topic: Candida/SIBO causing bloating ... fiber question  (Read 14474 times)

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Candida/SIBO causing bloating ... fiber question
« on: December 09, 2011, 10:53:05 am »
I have a feeling that I have something called "SIBO" (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) to some extent (hopefully not so bad!) because whenever I would eat vegetables or fruit, my stomach would bloat a lot, and I would get a lot of gas in my intestines, which are pretty typical symptoms.  It got especially bad when I started the GAPS diet, which is aimed to heal the gut, but I guess because I upped my veggie intake so much, and started taking a lot of probiotics orally, it really aggrivated this.  As far as I know, its mainly the fiber that feeds the bacteria, and oral probiotics can contribute to the problem since they pass through the small intestine. 

For the last 3 days, I've just been eating meat/fat/veggie juice/raw kefir and eggs, to hopefully help heal this.  But I really feel like I need some more veggies and fruits back in my diet!  With being this low-carb, I am feeling quite low energy and woozy, and HUNGRY.  And I'm already skinny, so I don't need to lose any weight!!  Just heal my gut : )

On the GAPS diet, I was eating everything cooked (simmered in water or broth), but now I am wondering if it would be better to eat some raw veggies and fruit?  Would it be better to gradually ease into raw veggies by eating cooked ones first, or should I go right to the raw ones?  I know cooking does create some toxins, but which would be more digestable?  I just don't want to get that horrible bloating back!  But I am eating some veggies when I get home from work, or I think I might pass out from hunger!!!!!!  I just can't stomach the thought of any more raw meat or marrow right now.  And the suet is even worse : (

Also wondering about candida--I do have a slight whitish coating to most of my tongue, if I don't brush it off.  I have heard, though, that candida can feed on ketones, so going super-low-carb doesn't help necesarrily.  And I do tend to feel better with some carbs (veggies/fruits/raw dairy) in my diet.  HMMMmmmmmm
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: Candida/SIBO causing bloating ... fiber question
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 10:55:59 am »
I am not a fan of raw vegetables I'd suggest you try stopping the eating of those and see if your farting stops.

Any raw dairy makes me fart as well.

If you are not allergic to VCO, a 3 day vco detox will get rid of candida.

Aajonus has a candida healing protocol, check out his book.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 11:36:24 am »
Oh, I didn't know that!  I'll have to see if my library has his book!  Thanks : )
How do you do a 3 day VCO (virgin coconut oil, correct?) detox?  As in, that's all you eat for 3 days?

So, you don't eat any vegetables at all?  Do you eat fruit instead? 
I'm pretty sure that I am OK with the raw dairy, because I've tested going without it and adding it back in with no changes, so it is almost definetly the veggies that were causing my gas problems. 

Thanks for answering so many of my questions! <3

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 11:59:33 am »
You said you have a white coating on your tongue.  Do you notice plaque buildup on your teeth as well? If you do, you are probably vitamin D deficient.

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 02:02:50 am »
Hmmmm, maybe a little bit, for the plaque?  Barely any, though.  But the white coating is still there...its more like the little teeny bumps on my tongue are whitish on their tops, so from farther away it gives my tongue a whitish cast. 
My husband does have a lot of plaque, though, but not the whitish tongue. 
I wouldn't be surprised if we needed more D--we live in WI, and at this time of year you'd literally freeze to death if you exposed any skin outdoors!
How do you think its best for us to get vitamin D?  We've been taking FCLO, but I believe it only supplys D in the few 100 iu's per 1/2 tsp or something?  So its probably not enough?
Ideally, I'd like to get D from my skin making it, as this seems to be the most natural and best way.  But real outdoor sun exposure is not an option during the winter, so what about tanning beds?  I've heard the older ones that take longer to tan you do make you produce vitamin D.  But then I read somewhere about the ballasts for the bulbs producing a lot of EMFs....:S  So I guess its a trade-off.
What do you guys suggest?!?!?! 
Why can't we all just move to where GS lives where its all sunny and there are open air raw meat markets?!?!?!?  I am seriously considering running away to wherever that is....LOL
;)

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 04:16:25 am »
I recommend Now brand softgels.  They seem to work well for me.  Anything that tans you will produce vitamin D, AFAIK. Be careful with tanning if you have a family history of cancer, or especially skin cancer.  The cancer rate on both sides of my family is pretty much zero, so I don't have much to worry about.  I am considering tanning beds this winter, because I have moved to a colder location this year, and really can't get outside to get sun much anymore.

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 05:41:32 am »
Thanks for the suggestion!  I used to use carlson softgels or drops, which I think are pretty similar.  Probably still have some, actually.  But I just hate to use synthetic vitamins, with how little we know about all of the co-factors etc. etc. that go along with them when they are gotten through food or natural processes like the sun.

I don't think we really have any skin cancer in my family.  I am VERY pale, and used to burn alot (Irish and German heritage) but ever since going (cooked) paleo, I have only burned a little once, when I stayed out all day in the blazing sun in Mexico with no sun protection at all!  So it does seem that my body has adapted to being in the sun, YAY!

I just wish there were more information on using tanning beds to make vitamin D, and the safety/efficacy of it.  Oh well, I'll just have to keep searching : )

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 09:07:39 am »
Oh, I didn't know that!  I'll have to see if my library has his book!  Thanks : )
How do you do a 3 day VCO (virgin coconut oil, correct?) detox?  As in, that's all you eat for 3 days?

So, you don't eat any vegetables at all?  Do you eat fruit instead? 
I'm pretty sure that I am OK with the raw dairy, because I've tested going without it and adding it back in with no changes, so it is almost definetly the veggies that were causing my gas problems. 

Thanks for answering so many of my questions! <3

http://www.curemanual.com/detox-protocols-and-treatments/stomach-healing-intestinal-cleansing-yeast-elimination/virgin-coconut-oil-detox/
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 09:58:23 am »
Thank you very much!
Am I correct that this is from one of Bruce Fife's books?  I have his newest book, and really enjoyed it; it was very informative!

A couple questions--How do you feel while doing this?  How is your energy level?
                                  --Would it be adequate for me to do this only 2 days?  I never have more than 2 days off work in a row, and I don't know if I could handle doing this cleanse AND working 8 hours!  Otherwise, I suppose I could use a vacation day with one of my weekends.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 01:08:38 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion!  I used to use carlson softgels or drops, which I think are pretty similar. 

I took the Carlsen's drops, and they had absolutely no effect.  I don't think their drops have much actual vitamin D.  I never tried their softgels.

Offline Lurch 51

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 11:57:36 pm »
Glad to hear of this VCO cleanse. I have lots of VCO here right now.

I'm doing it without lemon juice though. Other things that could be substituted for lemon juice are GSE and cayenne, which are both effective against tons of pathogens, probably even more than Lemon. The reason I say this is because I've had trouble with lemon juice lately and I feel I need to expel the bad stuff before I can take even things like lemon.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 12:02:48 am by TylerDurden »

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 01:56:14 am »
Hi Sile
      I had all of the same troubles you mentioned, and I love veggies. I can't eat much coconut oil without a huge stop sense comming from my whole system. So, if you get a strong stop sense I have another thing you can try. I mixed a tsp of eatable diatomaceous earth in water and drank it on an empty stomach. I didn't eat until after it had all pasted through me. This wasn't uncomfortable but the gurgling let me know about the passing. Then I ate tender lettuce, like the inner part of Romain, cucumber, carrot - just a little of what is easiest for you. When I eat before eliminating the diatomaceous earth, I felt extra bad. I usually don't eat until noon and I find herbal teas help. I drink peppermint, comfrey leaf, burdock, raspberry, hawthorn, milk thistle, whatever I like. Sometimes cool, or strong, or week. I think it is the minerals in the teas that help. All conjecture. I have no evidence. I also cut out olive oil, which I used to enjoy on salads. Now I eat food one at a time, slow a little like instinctive. I don't drink the diatomaceous water every day, I did at first. I also eat sea salt (alone just lick my finger and dab it in until I'm done) and about tablespoon of ground sea weed that I set in water then drink water and all. I've done a little green clay water that I let sit for days too. I can get constipated, but if I don't eat till something comes out -\.  Sorry I feel much better. I find sitting on the throne with tea and belly breathing, relaxing as much as possible, with good posture helpful too.
     I also soak seeded rose hips and eat a couple of tbs a day I think this is helping too. I stopped all fermented veggies and cut back on Keefer  :'(. When I do eat Keefer it is strained into soft cheese I put a strainer over a collecting bowl then layers of fine cheese cloth over the strainer. I pour the Keefer in and tie the ends to make a little sack, then I put a bowl over that with a grapefruit in top to press it gently. I add sea salt to it too and dip suet and other fat into it. It digests well, but I only eat a little, when I really want it. I have been pigging out on avocados 1-3/ day, but I ran low on other good fats and eggs bother me, so I don't eat more than 2 yolks when I really want them.
     The other thing is getting 8-10 hrs of sleep. I sleep well on raw foods I need more sleep than ever. I think that I have always needed it but my sleep regulatory systems have healed enough to make me more aware that I am tiered. I'm not tiered in the day, but I start to feel it about 7p. I lay down 8-10p and I'm out.
     I'm sorry about all the poop talk, but I hope it helps.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 02:03:39 am »
Thanks for digging up this old topic, guys!  I kinda forgot about haha...
Yeah, lately I haven't been eating any veggies at all, except for the "fruit-veggies" like cucumbers, and a carrot or two. 
I have also started straining my kefir too!  Glad to hear it helps you as well!
I'll have to give the diatamaceous earth thing a try--where do you get the edible stuff from?

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 05:18:34 am »
I didn't realize it was old. Is your belly better? Did you do the coconut cleanse? I just talked to the guy I got the diatomaceous earth from and I think this is the website he got it from

www.therawfoodworld.com

He only does 1/2 tsp and he eats with it and has no bowel changes, but he eats grains and other whole, cooked foods.
 I want to know if other people here have tried it and what were the results.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 09:59:53 am »
Oh, its not actually THAT old, I guess but i kinda forgot about it haha.  But I am glad you replied to it so you reminded me!!
I am still having gas and bloating problems, and I'm not exactly sure what is causing it because it seems to come and go completely randomly.
Thanks for the link to the diatomaceous earth!  I think I might give that a try.
I did try the coconut oil cleanse but didn't make it more than a few hours before puking it all up LOL.  So that didn't work so well, unfortuently. :-P

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 11:00:38 pm »
Sile,

I'm basically in the same boat as you, except i have weak adrenals and maybe lyme.  I am drawn toward the raw foods i think because of the enzymes my body really needs but i can't handle the roughage.  I am on a GAPS diet also.  Easiest things for me are blended soups, but raw eggs, olive oil, coconut oil, butter all work.  Use a juicer to get some extra carbs/sugar without the digestion

Offline Aaaaaa

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 03:16:19 am »
Thanks for the reply, joej.
After lots of experimenting and reading, I've decided to do a raw paleo + GAPS + Ray Peat style diet.  This combination just makes the most sense to me. 
So, bone broth soups, juiced oranges, tropical fruits, shellfish, raw meat and marrow, coconut oil, raw honey, raw or cooked eggs, cooked squash, raw milk, raw cheese....
Plus thyroid supplement, progesterone and pregnenolone. 
We'll see how it goes!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk