Author Topic: UK Sunday Times article on intermittent fasting  (Read 4226 times)

Offline Johan August

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
UK Sunday Times article on intermittent fasting
« on: February 24, 2012, 01:35:12 am »
In the Sunday Times of 19th February, Jonathan Leake reported on claims by Mark Mattson, Professor of neurosciences at John Hopkins University that eating every other day has the same beneficial effects as calorie restriction. Such diets appear to  " protect the heart, circulatory system and brain against age related diseases, including Alzheimer’s"
 "animals fed intermittently retained a higher sensitivity to insulin"and "also improved the animals’ resistance to a neurotoxin that simulates Alzheimer’s disease.Mattson compared the brains of animals fed a low calorie diet with those of animals that had eaten well. Calorie restricted diets appeared to enhance the function of brain synapses - the junctions between brain cells that promote the generation of new cells and make them more resistant to stress."

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: UK Sunday Times article on intermittent fasting
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 03:25:08 am »
Fascinating.

Offline invisible

• Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 12:44:26 pm »
One must note that animals that IF unintentionally eat less than those that are continuously ad lib, because  when they are allowed to eat ad lib on eating days they (usually) simply don't eat enough to make up for the fast from the previous day. I have seen Michael Rae (a prominent calorie restriction follower) give a detailed analysis of the data, concluding that IF is not beneficial, per se, and that IF benefits are derived from the unintentional caloric restriction.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 01:45:13 pm »
Same with me. When I did alternate-day fasting, I would often not eat enough on the days I allowed myself to eat. I did better on a system whereby I did 24-hour IF routines and then did whole-day fasts here and there inbetween.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Darwinian Fitness

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
    • Darwinian Fitness
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 02:06:48 pm »
I have seen Michael Rae (a prominent calorie restriction follower) give a detailed analysis of the data, concluding that IF is not beneficial, per se, and that IF benefits are derived from the unintentional caloric restriction.

He's probably right, but my gut tells me that IF is the way to go over chronic calorie restriction.

IF is the more natural pattern for us and animals. When we make a kill or find a fruit tree, we eat "ad libitum", then we go with no food until we find more.

IF gives the digestive system periods of total rest, but always undereating always keeps it working just as much as any standard 3+meal-a-day eater. 
Hi, my name is Chris.
I help people get slim, fit, and strong.
You can find my website Darwinian Fitness at http://DarwinianFitness.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk