Author Topic: Selective enforcement of food safety  (Read 2147 times)

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Selective enforcement of food safety
« on: February 24, 2012, 08:52:39 am »
I am calling out Shenanigans on the recalls regarding brown rice syrup.
http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2012/02/brown-rice-syrup-puts-arsenic-in-those-organics/

Normally such recalls wouldn't be of much personal  importance, but it seems that the supplemental formula I have been mixing with goats milk for my children has about 8 parts per billion of arsenic. Other products contained much higher levels

The epa has set the standard safe level for drinking water at 10 ppb.

Considering I mix the formula with half goats milk, I can only assume that My children are fairly safe from exposure to toxic levels.

Its kind of suspicious that the only formula on the market that doesn't contain Genetically modified fungus oil , or corn syrup; has been recalled.
Especially considering that most of the other brands of formula out there are far more polluted. I think its a case of selective enforcement, where these research studies have singled out the alternative to king corn syrup.

Regardless of the conspiracy behind the recall, I now find myself looking for an alternative for my 12 month olds diet.

She is by far the most paleo child of the bunch. Her first finger food was ground buffalo bits with lamb fat. I will also spoon feed her egg yolks.
She likes bone marrow, coconut butter, and what ever scraps I give her.

I think she will be just fine,and I have no regrets about using the formula. All of my babies are beautiful and healthy.

I may just start giving her more raw cows milk in place of the formula.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:08:03 pm by TylerDurden »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Selective enforcement of food safty
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 03:34:58 pm »
I don't think parts per billion, or even parts per million, are a cause for concern. As regards arsenic, one needs way higher doses to get a  reaction.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline aLptHW4k4y

• Shaman
    • View Profile
Re: Selective enforcement of food safty
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 04:56:47 pm »
In China the safety limit for arsenic is set to 0.15mg/kg of food; brown rice has around 0.8mg/kg, the white has 0.5mg/kg (was just reading about this stuff yesterday). In most other countries it's regulated how much arsenic can be in water, but not in food.

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Selective enforcement of food safety
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 09:02:03 pm »
In China the safety limit for arsenic is set to 0.15mg/kg of food; brown rice has around 0.8mg/kg, the white has 0.5mg/kg (was just reading about this stuff yesterday). In most other countries it's regulated how much arsenic can be in water, but not in food.

This is why I am calling Shenanigans, it seems like a case of selective enforcement.

I have studied how green leafy vegetables are loaded with fluoride, cadmium, arsenic and whatever else they absorb from the polluted soil, but there are no recalls of lettuce and spinach , even with fluoride levels of 40 parts per million(fluoride BTW is much more toxic than arsenic). Cadmium isn't even tested for in most cases, but is a major factor in cancer and kidney issues.

They will recall veggies for salmonella poisoning cases, but I never hear about it being done because of high toxin levels. The poisons like cadmium take a very long long time to cause sickness and most health problems are never directly linked to contaminated foods.

If you are going to single out Brown rice syrup for just a few parts per billion of arsenic(even though there are no cases of it causing sickness), then you must hold all other foods to a similar standard.

Yet corn syrup regularly tests positive for high nickel and mercury, without any recalls being made.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:07:46 pm by TylerDurden »
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk