Author Topic: Raw Egg Eating Animals  (Read 10992 times)

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
Raw Egg Eating Animals
« on: March 02, 2012, 10:21:17 am »
This doggie ate all the white as well as the yolk, and even most of the shell:
Henry eats a raw egg
Good boy, Henry!

Did he eat all the white and much of the shell because he's deficient or starving? I doubt his owner is starving him, but as to deficiency, who knows.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:26:48 am by PaleoPhil »
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Raw Egg Eating Animals
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 10:23:19 am »
Here are some of the raw-egg-eating monkeys I posted elsewhere:

Monkey eats a raw egg

A monkey eating a raw egg in Bali
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele

CitrusHigh

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 10:28:13 am »
Yeah my dogs, all 9 when they were babies, and the 5 we still have are all egg eaters. They will some times eat the shell, other times just chew on it, and sometimes ignore it entirely. But they never waste any of the yolk or white!

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 03:36:54 am »
Good boy, Henry!

Nice video. At 0:51 the dog frightens when the eggshell breaks , LOL!

Löwenherz

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 06:50:58 am »
Yeah, I love that bit. LOL

Offline Muhammad.Sunshine

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 01:25:25 pm »
In the first monkey clip a large portion of the egg white was discarded. The second clip showed the monkey going after the yolk. Do monkeys naturally prefer the yolk, perhaps because its tasty and free of anti-nutrients.
Always try to be positive, optimistic, kind, and fair.

Offline Wattlebird

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 01:29:40 pm »
In the first monkey clip a large portion of the egg white was discarded. The second clip showed the monkey going after the yolk. Do monkeys naturally prefer the yolk, perhaps because its tasty and free of anti-nutrients.

Hi Muhammad.Sunshine
not being a monkey, it's hard to say! ( sorry ;D)
Perhaps, they just go for what tastes best at the time!?
Kind wishes, J

Offline aLptHW4k4y

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 03:54:26 pm »
the yolk is not free of anti-nutrients ;) But it's indeed very tasty, probably that's why.

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 04:01:44 pm »
Hi Wattlebird,

You are correct; the yolk is a golden delight to those feasting monkeys. It would be blissfully fun for us humans to eat a giant ostrich egg in a like manner. Wattlebird you are invited to an ostrich egg breakfast with me anytime  ;).

Hello aLptHW4k4y,

I thought that the biotin and protein inhibitors were all in the egg white, which anti-nutrients are contained within the yolk?

Offline Wattlebird

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 05:08:52 pm »
Hi Wattlebird,
You are correct; the yolk is a golden delight to those feasting monkeys. It would be blissfully fun for us humans to eat a giant ostrich egg in a like manner. Wattlebird you are invited to an ostrich egg breakfast with me anytime  ;).

Muhammad Sunshine
So far, I have never eaten ostrich egg and should I ever visit Canada, I would love to take you up on the offer. (though I dont know if there are many ostriches in Canada)  ;)
Kind wishes, J
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:25:54 pm by Wattlebird »

Offline aLptHW4k4y

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 08:00:57 pm »
In the egg yolk there's phosvitin for example, which represents 10% of the proteins in the yolk. It's something like the phytic acid in plants.
Phosvitin binds to minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, etc. and since it's very much undigestible it just goes out the other end. Also 90% of the phosphorus in the yolk is bound to the phosvitin. So in the end phosphorus, iron, magnesium, from egg yolk are not very available.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 02:00:31 am »
Indian Egg eater Snake - Raiding a sparrow nest

You don't see him separating the yolk and white!
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 09:51:38 am »
Muhammad,
Every creature I'm familiar with, including humans, prefer the yolk to the white, though I've observed some monkeys, dogs and humans (including myself) also eating the whites, including raw. So yolks are generally preferred, but raw wild egg whites are not always discarded. At least, that's what I've found in my searchings on the subject.

Thanks for the info, aLptHW4k4y and Hai!

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 12:01:12 pm »
Hi PaleoPhil,
Perhaps animals prefer the tastiest portions when there is a food surplus; those monkeys are probably well fed by tourists. When food is scarce  it makes sense to utilize everything available.

aLptHW4k4y,
Thank you for the avant-garde information on phosvitin, even wikipedia needs an article about it. There are some benefits such as anti-oxidant actions, however it does bind with important minerals.

Is the mineral binding effect of material consequence, and if so how do you mitigate it?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk