Author Topic: frozen meat transition  (Read 2317 times)

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
frozen meat transition
« on: March 12, 2012, 03:26:10 am »
I am currently transitioning from living in nyc to the middle of nowhere. I will start raising goats but for the first several months there I may have no access to quality unfrozen meats. How much damage do you think eating the frozen meats for a few months will cause me? Would it be better to just go down to the city every once in a while for large quanitites of unfrozen meat and simply eat less of it in an attempt to stretch it out or would it be better to not be hungry and eat the frozen meat? I will have access to frozen wild meat so it will be of even higher quality than what I had here except for having been frozen.
-----------

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: frozen meat transition
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 07:10:49 am »
I might be stating the obvious, but if this unnamed middle of nowhere is suitable for raising goats, perhaps there are other trolls raising goats and who-knows-what-else that you can purchase. That'll save you a trip all the way to the city. After all, I live in the city, and I often drive out to the middle-of-nowhere to buy fresh meat, and my supermarket has their fresh meat trucked in from the M.O.N.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 11:37:37 am »
How do I meet these people raising grass fed goats?
-----------

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 12:30:51 pm »

Your local Ag Extension agent might know of some, and anybody on the Raw Milk Yahoo Group from that general area probably knows someone who knows someone, etc.. You can also go to the nearest local weekly livestock auction, and ask a few people.

There maybe even be some online forums for grassfed meat producers.  I've not checked, but it'd be worth a Google. 

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 10:35:02 am »

Who are you buying your goats from?

Other resources are all the other people in your new location. Not everybody will be a goatherder, but you'll meet the people in general, see signs for farms, have a PO box, buy gas, shop in a store. I usually see signs for eggs on mailboxes at the end of driveways.

If it's a grassy area with lots of forage, chances are that the goatherders aren't going to be feeding their goats a lot of Purina goal chow, but ask about feed anyway, because lots of people rent out their goats, so the goats could be eating pesticides, etc.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk