Author Topic: Eat better than a caveman ?  (Read 24595 times)

Offline sabertooth

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Eat better than a caveman ?
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2012, 07:00:53 am »
I use to get whole chuck eye rolls of beef which were about 25 pounds a piece. It would take me about 10 days or so to eat, and in plastic rap in the fridge it would start to taste a bit sour after the end of the first week. I soon began to leave it on a rack in a fridge dedicated to meat, and I think it helped. Keep the proper air exposure for more optimal aging seemed to make for tastier and less moldy meat.

I suggest the chuck eye roll, over the top round. The chuck eye roll has better marbling, while the top round is too lean for my taste.

You could get a mini fridge and somehow suspend a 15 pound cut of meat in it. Then just slice off what you need for each meal, until its gone. By opening the fridge door many times a day you allow the meat to get plenty of fresh oxygen. I also suggest keeping the settings on low humidity, if its an option, a dryer surface just ages better and is less likely to sprout funky tasting molds.

Festering with maggots is yummy?  I've never tried that.
How many days you left that carcass outside?
What's the temperature and humidity in your area?

About ten days.
Its been unseasonable hot around 70s and 80s.

I will usually eat the whole animal before it gets that rotted, its just been so warm lately, that it decomposed much too fast. Its not the most tasty stuff , but I have grown to like eating a few bits of it to prime my belly before eating some fresher cuts of meat as the main course. The maggots can be eaten, though they are a little bitter.
A man who makes a beast of himself, forgets the pain of being a man.

Offline FRANCIS HOWARD BOND

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2014, 09:33:58 pm »
Online goodsamaritan
Global Moderator
Mammoth Hunter

Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
View Profile  Filipino Services Inc.  Personal Message (Online)

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2012, 08:52:05 pm »
This is me with what is left of my renegade lamb. It is rotten and starting to fester with maggots. Yum, yum.

Festering with maggots is yummy?  I've never tried that.
How many days you left that carcass outside?
What's the temperature and humidity in your area?

MAGGOT FISH.
A fly got in my refrigerator two weeks ago, with everything covered in plastic film except a plate of raw cod, going a bit high.   After getting rid of fly and cleaning out refrigerator and contents I discovered little pile of tiny yellow eggs about 2 mm long and thick as cotton on top of the raw cod fish.   Had three choices:
1. Ignore and continue to eat as normal.
2. Brush or wipe the eggs off before eating.
3. Leave alone till eggs developed into maggots and eat them as well.
So I threw it in the waste bin, and away it went.
Regret not adopting one of the choices, particularly the last, as not confronted by live maggots before.   Hate wasting good (rotten) fish, and wished Sabertooth, or other person that tried maggots, was on the telephone advising me to go ahead, as I might have enjoyed it.   I decided to have second try, and have left a little raw cod in open top jar in garage waiting attention of a fly.   Still need encouragement on massive scale if anyone can bolster my confidence?   Saw video of lad with unusual Christmas Dinner, which he obviously enjoyed!

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2014, 06:36:01 am »
I've eaten maggots plenty of times,  with no problems ever.

Offline Neone

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2014, 07:31:29 am »
I found that when the maggots were all left to do their juicy thing inside a hunk of meat they made the meat  smell and taste like some kind of weird ammonia/stomach juice combination that i did not enjoy. Dry aged meat is my favourite thing ever, and maggots that are not covered in their own juice are fine to eat, but wet juicy maggot meat i will pass on.
That's not paleo.

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2014, 05:03:28 am »
EATING MAGGOTS – FIRST TIME!
Friday, 5 September 2014
Just ate my very first two jars, both full of wriggling maggots - one of raw minced beef, other a piece of cod.   Surprisingly sweet taste, and really quite pleasant provided you can keep the little beggars from leaving your lips, and chew them well before they go down so they won’t wriggle much.   Slightly musty taste, and cod tastes fishier than the beef with maggots likewise.   Need to cover the jars with bits of handkerchief to admit air, and must keep jars warm and away from frost.   I think I see why Sabertooth and others enjoy this food, just don’t think about it, spoon it up and shovel it down, with occasional drink of water.   Just going to see ‘News at Ten’ and, if I’m not on it, I’ll probably be all right!

Offline mikalwanted

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2015, 03:33:15 pm »
I just finished RS's PHd. Boston University professor's "Voyages of the Pyramid Builders" in which he builds up his theory about a lost continent and a  number of
 other things that point to the possibility that pyramid builders may have been disbursed throughout the world when a continent slipped under the waves after the last ice melted raising the sea level some 400+ feet.

ahsan

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2015, 05:45:18 am »
Still persevering with my Maggot Meat and Maggot Fish on a small scale from time to time until I acquire a definite sense of direction with this project.   Trying to raise maggots on fish or meat in uncovered jars which are later covered with fine cloth to keep maggots inside.   Then eat individually or better still with piece of the rotten fish or meat.   Yummy???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk