Author Topic: I guess you can be considered a vegetarian if you eat fish...  (Read 4722 times)

Offline spitfiredd1

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
So I got into an exchange with a vegetarian today and we had a few back and forth's about diet and what not.  Mostly I was saying how you can't really thive on a vegan diet without any animal proteins at all.  I was saying that he did in fact consume animal proteins from the milk and eggs he consumed.  Then we went back and forth some more, mostly me bashing grains and whatnot.  And then he mentioned that he ate fish a few times a month!!  I was like great atleast you're not completely destroying your health!!  I think he did eat grains and I'm not 100% sure where I stand on full on raw paleo (although I ate some grass fed beef raw for breakfast this morning and it was delish (sp)?) but I am certain that grains probably aren't the best thing to be eating.  Oh and he usually ate it raw sushi grade salmon or tuna.  It's funny because I always though vegetarianism meant no flesh, and he said he didn't consume flesh but isn't fish flesh?  Either way I though it was funny. 
Other forums I frequent:
Give it to me Raw
30bananasadaysucks.com

Offline KD

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: I guess you can be considered a vegetarian if you eat fish...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 04:58:57 am »
fish is my favorite vegetable. Actually wait, scallops is my favorite.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 06:02:47 am »
So I got into an exchange with a vegetarian today...  then he mentioned that he ate fish a few times a month!!   

As I recall, a vegetarian can eat fish by using the justification that fish are "the vegetables of the sea." This particular justification was invented in Japan. Justification is sold at Whole Foods, right next to the healthy potato chips with sea salt.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 05:20:54 pm »
fish is my favorite vegetable. Actually wait, scallops is my favorite.

Tomorrow I go hunting, yeah. Animals like truly wild cauliflower are super nutritious, even for vegetarians!

Löwenherz

Offline Isthmus

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 06:31:34 pm »
This is called Pescetarianism

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 10:36:52 pm »
If fish are "the vegetables of the sea" then where does that leave the so-called "sea vegetables" (aka algae, as in kelp, dulse, wakame, etc., http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=135 that are actually Eukaryota, which have characteristics of both plants and animals). If fish is vegetarian, does that mean I can eat nothing but fish, including very large fish, and be vegetarian? Vegetarianism doesn't seem to contain any consistent logic, which may help explain why there is so much disagreement among people who call themselves vegetarian regarding what vegetarianism is.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 11:28:42 pm »
i always liked explaining to vegetarians that cheese is not a vegetable.........neither is tofu

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 11:57:27 pm »
I saw a survey in which so-called "vegetarians" reported eating more fish than omnivores and carnivores. LOL
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline intrigued

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 02:42:20 am »
Hmm, tuna is the chicken of the sea right?  Sounds like chicken is a vegetable too.  My personal favorite vegetable is beef.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk