Author Topic: Taste of raw meat  (Read 25495 times)

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Taste of raw meat
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 04:53:54 am »
so you leave it out at 70-80 degrees f for a week at a time? I didnt think that this was proper. Would it still work without the salt and pepper as I dont believe those are healthy.
-----------

Offline Ferocious

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 09:01:56 pm »
Cold fresh raw meat is tough and nasty. Fit only for dogs.

But if you take the same meat, like a butt roast, rub it with plenty of salt and pepper, leave  it out at room temperature on a rack for a couple of days, and it becomes completely different. Tender and delicious. Grass fed meat won't spoil like the supermarket stuff. This is called dry aging. The enzymes in the meat tenderize it. The drying gives it a beautiful firm texture. The salt and pepper give flavor and help preserve it (and keep the flies off).

Cut thin slices off any time you're hungry. The ultimate fast food. It will keep at room temperature for a week or more.

This is same as the famous expensive European prosciutto hams. When beef gets real dry it is called Jerky.

This is how our ancestors ate their meat for thousands of years before refrigerators and before civilization even. Cave dwellers  kept it by a smoky fire which also helps preserve it. This explains our love of smoky BBQ.

I even take grass fed ground beef (the more fat the better), mix it with salt and spices, form it into big thick patties, and leave them on a rack at room temperature. It is similar to sausage after a couple of days. After about a week it becomes salami. Ground meat is very cost effective if you are on a budget. And grass fed ground beef and buffalo are available frozen in most supermarkets now days.
I did exactly what you said. It's been out for a day already. how many more days do you recommend before I eat it? I used deer instead of beef.

Offline CarnivorousApe

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 04:00:00 pm »
so you leave it out at 70-80 degrees f for a week at a time? I didnt think that this was proper. Would it still work without the salt and pepper as I dont believe those are healthy.

Why would this be not proper? People keep meat for months to get high meat.

Offline Ferocious

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2012, 06:19:55 pm »
Why would this be not proper? People keep meat for months to get high meat.
Do you keep it out to get high meat, or in the fridge?

I've left my deer meat out for 2 days now and it looks like beef jerky. Haven't tried it yet.

Offline CarnivorousApe

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2012, 07:14:49 pm »
Do you keep it out to get high meat, or in the fridge?

I've left my deer meat out for 2 days now and it looks like beef jerky. Haven't tried it yet.

I'm not sure if high meat and cured meat are the same. Cured meat is dry and it doesn't smell - oxygen helps meat to digest itself.

I didn't try high meat but I heard that it nearly turns to liquid and smells terribly - this is result of fermentation - lactobacteria helps to digest meat. In this case meat also needs to be ventilated to prevent rotting.

These processes are often used in conjunction - first meat mince is fermented , then it is cured and the result is salami :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 07:26:31 pm by CarnivorousApe »

Offline Ferocious

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2012, 07:44:53 pm »
I'm not sure if high meat and cured meat are the same. Cured meat is dry and it doesn't smell - oxygen helps meat to digest itself.

I didn't try high meat but I heard that it nearly turns to liquid and smells terribly - this is result of fermentation - lactobacteria helps to digest meat. In this case meat also needs to be ventilated to prevent rotting.

These processes are often used in conjunction - first meat mince is fermented , then it is cured and the result is salami :)
Yeah, I don't think I'll be trying that for a VERY long time. ;P

Just to nitpick, I think "curing" involves using nitrites or nitrates. I only used salt, so I guess technically it's just considered air-dried.

Offline CarnivorousApe

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2012, 09:01:49 pm »
Yeah, I don't think I'll be trying that for a VERY long time. ;P

Just to nitpick, I think "curing" involves using nitrites or nitrates. I only used salt, so I guess technically it's just considered air-dried.

Fermented food can be really helpful, especially for guys as myself who have appendix removed. High meat is believed to have healing properties. I tried fermented everything - dairy, vegetables, fruits (apples and watermelons), sour dough bread. Now  I guess it's time for meat.

Nitrites just make cured meat pink, traditionally it is cured with salt http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt-cured_meat

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2012, 01:15:02 pm »
high meat is great. Do it now!
-----------

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2012, 10:04:43 pm »
Fermented food can be really helpful, especially for guys as myself who have appendix removed. High meat is believed to have healing properties. I tried fermented everything - dairy, vegetables, fruits (apples and watermelons), sour dough bread. Now  I guess it's time for meat.

Nitrites just make cured meat pink, traditionally it is cured with salt http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt-cured_meat

What are some of the healing benefits?

Do you have links?

I've tried high meat, I found it tolerable.

How ever I left it out for a month or so.

Any suggestions on how to get the best effects?
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2012, 01:38:15 am »
cut it up into marble sized pieces, put it in a jar with metal lid and open it up outside to get new air in eery few days then start eating it in a month. Its very simple. If you cant bear the taste in the beginning, take it down with water like a pill and you should have no problems at all. After doing that about 5 times I started chewing it up and swallowing it. As soon as I start chewing it up I get a mood boost. It is very nice.
-----------

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2012, 05:33:51 am »
I started eating a small piece of high meat every morning.

I let it sit for about 2 weeks, not a month. But it still has the distinct high meat taste and smell.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline gc

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2012, 09:19:11 am »
If you're interested in that, you should read into the instincto/anopsology stuff - http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/instinctoanopsology/instinctoanopsology-explained/

The cooking part makes sense.

But the part in the interviews linked from that where the interviewee stated that their children were permitted "to eat any mushroom they want," is just plain dangerous.

Case in point - I was told a story by Green Deane (of eattheweeds.com fame) on a nature/foraging walk in Florida about a park ranger who ate water hemlock root just to try it. He didn't believe it was poisonous. He said it tasted great - rather nutty and generally pleasant. He was dead in an hour.

I'd heard that story before, but it had a little power behind it coming from him, owing to his incredible experience with wild plants. I'd say instincto is OK provided you know the foods are not poisonous. If you don't know, do not eat.

I like the taste of raw beef.
insert signature here

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2012, 09:13:03 am »
My first try of grass fed beef mince was very bland, and all that's left is the bad squishy texture. I tried aging it a few days. I much preferred the kangaroo which was like a tasty rare steak, but the kangroo had no fat, so I am thinking of buying some beef fat and eating the beef fat with the kangaroo meat?

Offline DopeDivinity

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2012, 02:57:52 pm »
I havent delved much into RawMeats myself... just Raw Salmon, which I find tasty, and Raw BeefSTeak, which I didn't much care for. Chewy, "slimy" as some put it, and the taste is a little weird. I also dont spice my cooked meats too much, and the raw meat didn't taste as good with the same spices. In fact, I had some boiled OxTail earlier that would've tasted good without any spices. :)

I am definitely going to try the SaltCure next time I'm looking to eat something like that Steak. I'm also going to be trying some Raw LambLiver soon... I have a feeling that will be a little tastier in its raw form.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2012, 12:18:10 am »
this is the raw paleo diet forum. You need to eat raw meat to post on this forum or you shall be considered an infiltrator.
-----------

CitrusHigh

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2012, 12:28:37 am »
Actually to post in this forum it seems like you only need an interest in raw animal foods and not be trolling vegan dogma. And also you need to be baseline respectful, which isn't really that respectful at all, but so long as no overt name calling and insults. Critique ideas, not people.

Offline DopeDivinity

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2012, 11:41:41 am »
I can definitely vouch for trying out different meats. I had Raw Smelt and Raw Lamb Kidney earlier and I enjoyed them both. The Smelt tasted... in restrospect I'll say somewhat shrimpy... it was Cold with that SeaFlava. And of course I spiced it. The LambKidney smelled like urine, and tasted like the way the goats at the zoo smell, but in a good way. The texture was soft'n'gushy... really enjoyable. Also, this morning I had Raw BeefBoneMarrow... it tasted like Strawberry IceCream!

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2012, 03:51:03 pm »
Raw salmon is raw meat!

Offline gc

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2012, 04:29:28 am »
Soft and gushy?

That sounds horrible, actually... haha
insert signature here

CitrusHigh

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2012, 10:07:29 am »
DD is almost for sure a troll gc, a vegan flavored troll!

Offline DopeDivinity

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2012, 12:59:40 pm »
Well we are all Trolls... Girl.

Despite the difficulties of describing it, the LambKidney was somehow good. It just kinda slurped into my mouth... like... my brother just said canned peaches... thats a pretty good analogy!

CitrusHigh

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2012, 01:48:56 pm »
How did you come to be eating raw meats DD?

Offline DopeDivinity

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2012, 04:10:47 pm »
Well long story short, I was a vegetarian for, I don't know, maybe a couple of years. Who knows with time. I had a dream where my doctor, or I guess ex-doctor (you know, pill-prescribing type'a guy)... he prescribed me Sausage. I was feeling weak at the time and took this sincerely as a possible suggestion from the Universe that I need to eat some meat. I actually had a few MeatDreams, but that was the straw that broke the Camel's back. At the time I was watching some Daniel Vitalis videos, and him going through a similar experience (going from RawVegan to MeatEatin') made it easier for me to integrate it myself. It was a bit weird... are we really going to eat meat after all these years?... Let's do it. We bought some sustainably caught Salmon from the HealthFood Store... and we ate it raw.  That seemed like a while ago and yet I'm still a RawMeat Beginner. (I ate a lot more cooked meat in the meantime) Its sort of a blur to me right now how I went from There to Here (being on this forum). jessica of ThisForum Fame has definitely been one of my inspirations to dive deeper. And uhh... yeah I'm reached my BrainLimit for now. My Brain literally feels inflamed right now. Maybe some Raw CowBrain will help me

Oh yeah and pardon for switching between "I" and "we". Thats going to happen... me and my TwinBro are both DopeDivinity. And we're both close enough to where pretty much anything I describe here applies to both of us. With the obvious exception of stuff like... the Sausage dream. But you know... there are actually Twins that enter into eachothers dreams... not us. Not that I conciously remember atleast... maybe when we were babies.

Offline svrn

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2012, 08:20:04 am »
ur never gonna get used to the raw meat if you only eat it once in a blue moon or so. You need to start eating it every day or at least every other day.
-----------

Offline gc

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2012, 08:21:29 am »
DD is almost for sure a troll gc, a vegan flavored troll!

Not even fermentation can make 'vegan' taste good.

On the flip side, they're easy to catch.
insert signature here

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk