Author Topic: Healing Lupus and MS w. diet, resources, examples.  (Read 26679 times)

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
Healing Lupus and MS w. diet, resources, examples.
« on: April 27, 2012, 10:23:21 pm »
I have a favor to ask.
A friend of mine just received very bad news regarding her health. She suffers from lupus and multiple sclerosis and has recently been treated for it with light chemo therapy (!!!) :(.
Her health is worsening dramatically though, especially since the treatments. Here is what she wrote:

I have had 2 rounds of chemo in the last two months. I'm in kidney and liver failure officially. My ms has gotten so bad I lose speech 3 times a week and I am frequently paralyzed. I will be permanently paralyzed within 5 years and most of my cognitive function will be gone in 1o years.

She is a mother of a 6 months old baby. It breaks my heart to think she won't be able to hold him and ultimately not even be able to be there for him anymore.
She does not know about the dangers of a SAD diet, nor the health benefits of the raw paleo diet. I don't know her very closely, but seeing this I offered advice, risking that I might be called crazy....but rather 'me-crazy, than her-sick' imo.

I would like to send her a lot of good info about how she could better her health with dietary changes. Links, experiences and info from your side, studies, stories about people that did get better...anything helps.

I am also asking for some info that would convince a newbie. I am sure she will be worried about getting sick off of raw food etc. Or she may not believe it because the standard nutritionist will give completely different advice.

TIA!
Suiren
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 10:31:29 pm by Suiren »
Nyd byþ nearu on breostan; weorþeþ hi þeah oft niþa bearnum
to helpe and to hæle gehwæþre, gif hi his hlystaþ æror.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Healing Lupus and MS w. diet, resources, examples.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 12:14:25 am »
I have friends and relatives who have MS and I have found it just about impossible to try to explain the advantages of changing anything, diet or otherwise.

Human nature I guess. I feel for you as I have been there. It really hurts to watch people suffer.

I am reading lots about Rife devices for solving the immediate problems but again they have no interest in anything but drugs and surgery.

Having said all this I do have one friend who is 'NI&S' positive. (New information and suggestions) I will do what I can. I have explained some dietary stuff to him but changing oneself has to come from within.

Are you familiar with "New German Medicine" Dr Hamer?
Cheers
Al

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 12:56:31 am »
That is very sad. Kidney and liver failure have a poor prognosis without lupus and MS. She probably needs to be hospitalized to survive that. I don't know that she has 5years or 1. Chemo is used to treat autoimmune when "less invasive"  methods fail.
    People aren't told they are dying until they have days left. They keep making money off the treatments. Maybe that is the incentive, or maybe they want to be seen as the savior not the bearer of bad news. Without taking any remaining hope she have, advise her to plan the best future she can for her baby, immediately.
As far as RAF what does she have to loose at this point.
     Young people are amazing they can return from deaths door. Hopefully they will stop the chemo that probably puts  her into organ failure. :'(
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 12:59:31 am by TylerDurden »
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 02:35:28 am »
raw-al

I never heard of rife devices. What is it? A type of treatment?
I think you are right, they really want to make money off of all the treatments too.
I never heard of Dr. Hamer either, what does he teach?

I have one friend who has made some dietary and life style changes and somewhat improved. My husbands aunt on the other hand does not really seem to have the will power to change anything, even though she understands how a SADiet is bad. It is sad.

Adora
I really hope her condition is not as bad and doctors are being overly dramatic. I have dealth with doctors like that. They scare you into treatment and drugs.
She is in her early twenties, so I am sure she has good chances at bouncing back. I mean any improvement would help.

What I also wonder, if she was to change her diet, what should she do about any medication? I think chemo can safely be stopped, but I think at this point she needs meds to function.
I was thinking of maybe suggesting alternative treatment. Maybe there is holistic approaches for the meantime? I don't know much about it. I never experienced severe healrh problems to the point where I could not function without help.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 02:43:31 am »
www.rifeforum.com
http://www.rifeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209
This last thread has some info on Rife/MS but essentially what I have heard from two people who own and use them on clients/neighbours in two places in the world, MS can be treated and the rate of success depends on the period of time the person has had the problem. If they are gotten soon enough complete recovery is possible.

I am looking into getting one of the devices that I heard about from a friend.

If you go to this http://www.rifeforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12
They will explain how it works in the FAQ.
Cheers
Al

Offline Rawr

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 05:25:19 am »
I have friends and relatives who have [illness] and I have found it just about impossible to try to explain the advantages of changing anything, diet or otherwise.

I am reading lots about [non-mainstream-medicine method] for solving the immediate problems but again they have no interest in anything but drugs and surgery.

Human nature I guess.

Social programming.

Unless the person is willing to do EVERYTHING you tell them, you have to simply accept that they will do what they want to do and believe is right.

Unless the person at least SPECIFICALLY ASKS YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE /stance/opinion, there is nothing you can do.

And in that case, it's best to let it go.

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 06:23:40 am »
I created an MS forum to collect success stories and info on MS here:
http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/health/multiple-sclerosis-info/msg81861/#msg81861

If the TED Talk video of Dr. Terry Wahls alone doesn't convince her, I can't imagine what will.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 05:38:07 pm »
www.rifeforum.com
http://www.rifeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209
This last thread has some info on Rife/MS but essentially what I have heard from two people who own and use them on clients/neighbours in two places in the world, MS can be treated and the rate of success depends on the period of time the person has had the problem. If they are gotten soon enough complete recovery is possible.

I am looking into getting one of the devices that I heard about from a friend.

If you go to this http://www.rifeforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12
They will explain how it works in the FAQ.

Thank you I will look into that!

I created an MS forum to collect success stories and info on MS here:
http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/health/multiple-sclerosis-info/msg81861/#msg81861

If the TED Talk video of Dr. Terry Wahls alone doesn't convince her, I can't imagine what will.

I hope it will, thank you too!

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 05:26:50 am »
Actually I started a thread on MS on this site at some point in the past.
Cheers
Al

Offline stoneforest

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 11:03:28 am »
In an acute situation of lupus-associated kidney failure immunosuppressants steroids such as prednisone are the most effective treatment of choice. After the acute phase then immunosuppressants are used.

Personally, if I were in ur friends situation I would take the steroids and a raw paleo diet right away. Theoretically steroids could be tapered down as her lab tests and symptoms improve. I
believe going raw paleo alone would not work immediately which could be fatal in acute kidney failure due to lupus. However, I do believe this diet is probably the most conducive to healing.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 03:34:02 pm »
There is some data showing that a cooked, palaeolithic diet helps with MS a little:-

http://www.livestrong.com/article/486060-paleolithic-diet-ms/

Not many palaeodiet studies, though, and none on MS:-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2724493/

Ah, I found what I wanted. OK, raw-al is right, she has nothing to lose, so is more likely to go in for this sort of diet. Read this page:-

http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/publications/in-vivo/Vol2_Iss05_mar12_03/index.html

Basically, what it states is that advanced glycation end products(which are mostly created by cooking) greatly exacerbate the symptoms of multiple sclerosis. Advanced glycation end products, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, nitrosamines and heterocyclic amines, all created via cooking, are  hefty inducers of inflammation, so this is not surprising.

I suggest she gets rid of the chemo completely.This diet, by its very nature, avoids inflammation-inducing factors. She should aim for the best(ie raw wild game if at all possible). She would also benefit greatly from "high-meat" - tell her to try it as soon as she gets used to the taste of fresh, raw meats(that is, unless she really is at death's door, in which case she might as well try it immediately).

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 04:45:33 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline stoneforest

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 01:54:11 am »
With all due respect, in the case of lupus, If an acute liver or kidney failure is happening I believe that a radical change in diet alone may be fatal. Although steroids and any chemo may be harmful, in the short term, steroids can be life-saving even if it's a short course that's given. But yes, I will still do a raw paleo diet.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 02:38:28 am »
Kidney failure complicates EVERYTHING. When your kidneys go the body can't balance minerals well. Too much potassium in the diet can stop the heart because the kidneys can't get rid of it. Not enough sodium and she can go into seizures because the body can't hold onto it etc. etc. An example of a danger is that meat and dairy are extremely high in potassium. Chemotherapy on top it stops the other organs from working too. Without liver function she won't be able to digest fats. It's all so sad that something like this can be prevented.

At this point in the game everything is so delicate that each and every change has to be examined and weighed ever so carefully while consulting with her doctors and once you are consulting with doctors trying to do anything holistically and logically can be a real challenge. You have to have true belief and an iron will to do that and have a tremendous desire to live and dedicated advocates by your side.

My first question would be - once the kidneys are no longer functioning is there ever hope for them to return to function? Has anyone ever come back from dialysis?  If not, I hate to say it, but the question becomes one of quality of life and the decision whether or not fighting one's way back is really possible or desired. Living on dialysis is no fun and the chemo is going to make the fight back an extreme process as her immune system is going to be destroyed.

Fighting could take what energy and  time she has left that she might instead want to be using to bring her life to closure the best she can and not allow her to spend every last moment exactly how she most would like to spend it.

If she herself wants to fight there are many ways to be of assistance, but if she is not asking for help in staying, healing, coming back and accepting the limitations that she will now have before her then you might not be doing her a service offering her information.

I'm so sorry that this happened and for the sadness. :(

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 07:55:17 am »
for all the money she is spending on hospital bills she should have a person knowledgeable in wholistic health in her house to attend to her, to make her nourishing broths and juices and teas and so that she can rest, have NO responsibilities, get sunshine, watch her child but not necessarily have to spend a lot of energy caring for her child and let her body rest and regenerate...

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 10:48:34 am »
Sadly Jessica, most insurance will pay for hospital care but will give nothing to help her in her home or to provide holistic care except maybe if she can find a holistic MD that takes her insurance. Remember - she mentioned paralysis which necessitates lots of nursing care which can be exceedingly expensive if not covered by insurance. But if she has any savings at all, I agree with you that home is a better place to be in times like this if possible. Again though - she will have to consult with her doctor about what kinds of foods she will be able to eat at all with kidney failure and liver failure. Bone broth is filled with lots of minerals - part of the reason it is so very healing usually - but kidney failure is a whole different story. If the broth won't kill her quickly - then I agree.

If it were me I would want to be at home if there was any way to get the basic care necessary - but after what I went through with my mother - honestly - I wouldn't put my family members through taking on the care of me in paralysis.

This is all so late in the game! I wish we could have all helped her just a little bit earlier before chemo and the destruction of her organ function and before paralysis set in.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 09:29:52 pm »
vitamin c seems like something that would be beneficial to her at this time, it is a major proponent of the kidneys(and adrenals, which are probably very low functioning at this poin) and will help to balance the salts in her body as well as rejuvenate the liver.

its pretty much at this point she just needs to stop all medical intervention and start the process of letting her body know it is okay to stop, relax, regain strength for repair....etc... i dont think the medical community at all understands that the constant testing, visits, the whole environment and atmosphere of hospitals, the urgency of medicine these day is so stressful that it is no help and only stresses a body further!  she is paralyzed by fear, worn out and drained completely and probably angery that this is all happening , there is no way she should feel obligated to anyone but herself and her help and not feel the least bit guilty about being selfish enough to get herself healthy.  she should use all of her energy to be healing in her own home, it might take a month before she can do much besides lay in bed and walk to the toilet and outside to take in fresh air and sunshine, it may be a year before she is capable of more, but real healing takes time

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 02:51:31 am »
The big problem Jessica is that we don't know if she can walk to the bathroom or even get out of the bed to a bedside commode or not. That might be the thing that could keep your good advice from being able to be followed. She also might need dialysis machinery to stay alive.

What I see happening so often is that no one explains to the sufferer that there is really nothing they can do for them - just like Adora said. Livers can regenerate - I've never heard of a kidney doing that before though after it has stopped functioning. It's not that I'm saying it's impossible because I don't know - but what I AM saying is that the medical profession is probably not being honest and open with her about her prognosis if she stays working within that paradigm. Kidney and liver failure are considered to be end of life scenarios where hospice becomes involved. There might not be hope for regeneration in another paradigm or there might be - but there is no hope staying with the the modern medical paradigm. She might not understand that yet. But what we have here is a well-meaning person asking advice for another person that is not a close friend and the sufferer has not sought out the advice herself. There's a reason no one wants to tell her what the real deal is. Kidney and liver failure and paralysis along with chemo - that's usually not long for this earth. She might be thinking she has years, but if she really understood that medicine and doctors haven't been able to do much and will be able to do less to keep her alive for much longer she might be willing to step out of the medical box she is in.

It's often like that - people will do all the modern medical cures for cancer and wait until the very last minute when it all fails to finally say ok - I'll try something else. Then their chances of survival are knocked down by at least 50% BECAUSE of the medical treatments. Once organs stop working - dam - that's when it's usually too late for even the best cures to work. Even if all the cancer is gone a human needs to have functioning kidneys, liver, heart etc. to survive -- but there is literally nothing for her to lose by trying something - anything different. She might not understand that. I would hate to be the friend who would have to explain it to her though.

At the very least - why would she want to spend her last days, weeks or maybe months in a hospital being poked and prodded by strangers. If she can swing it - home is the place to be.

70% of Americans say they want to die at home but 90% of us die in the hospital, most in the ER. If there is any hope - natural foods, peace etc. at home is where it's at.

Juicing would give lots of nutrients with less stress on the organs as long as the minerals were not a problem that would kill her quickly. I would also probably suggest the Budwig raw milk cure to by-pass the liver for fat absorption to the cell if the potassium levels of milk weren't too much a problem. Once chemo is done there are ways to help the immune system regenerate over a period of years and things to help the liver regenerate. There are many things that could be tried.

But all this is moot if her friend does not understand her real situation.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 07:22:55 am »
really appreciate everything in the post above dorothy, and my love goes out to your friend
its sad how many people lose quality of life for quantity of life these days, i hope she spend as many seconds and years that she may have left happy and hopeful and with those that she loves

Offline FoxWoman

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 12:05:23 pm »
AV's specific recommendations for MS: complete avoidance of cooked foods; lots of raw dairy, especially raw butter; stone-pressed olive oil with plenty of raw meats (chicken, beef, seafood); avocados and raw eggs daily; 2 glasses of natural mineral water a day and a drink made of 1 cup cucumber, 4-6 tablespoons raw coconut cream and 1 tablespoon unheated honey.

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 12:37:56 pm »
FoxWoman - those sound like wonderful suggestions in general. I just wonder if someone in liver failure could possibly digest so much fat.

I would add to your suggestions a warning to Suiren to talk to her friend about how much and what kinds of fats she could handle in liver failure. She would need to consult with her hepatologist on that and her nephrologist on the minerals for the kidneys.

All that seems so healing in general doesn't it though. I bet that would help with a lot of diseases. 

Offline FoxWoman

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 01:18:41 pm »
Yes, Dorothy, since here MS is already very advanced and is complicated by chemo, and kidney and liver failure, the situation is very bad. However, I doubt that any conventional hematologist or nephrologist will ever agree with a raw nutritional approach, especially the one high in fat. Modern medicine just does not incorporate raw foods cures, only chemical drugs.

I do not see any suggestions in AV's book for kidney and liver failure, however, he has suggestions for cirrhosis of the liver. To clean and rejuvenate the liver, he recommends plenty of raw tomatoes and lemons, combined with eggs; unheated honey; raw coconut cream with cucumbers; and raw meat at least twice daily. If lacking appetite for any food, he suggests his famous raw butter / raw honey mixture under the tongue and a little fresh parsley or ginger to stimulate appetite.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 06:46:25 pm »
Sorry for replying a bit late. I have been trying to get in touch with her, but her family is moving into a new home.

First of all - I don't understand the medical terms that my friend used...as in I don't know what kidney failure would exactly be like. But I do know she is able to walk and rest at home. She has said to be very tired, feels sick, vomits, but she is able to move around some.
Maybe the doctors have overly dramatized her diagnosis to scare her into more treatment and she is only at the verge or beginning of kidney and liver failure?

If she herself wants to fight there are many ways to be of assistance, but if she is not asking for help in staying, healing, coming back and accepting the limitations that she will now have before her then you might not be doing her a service offering her information.

I asked her if she would be willing to try something else and she said at this point she wants any help she can get. I do think she would want to fight, for her son and her husband. I know I would never give up and just refuse to leave them behind.
A different type of treatment can't be any more strenuous than the existing one right? So maybe she is able to power through it.
Thank you for all your advice Dorothy, and considering the effects of a change of diet too. It makes sense that she can not just switch to raw paleo diet and forget about it.

Treatment: Her husband is in the military, so they must be using Tricare. I know Tricare can allow you to go to out of network doctors if you can not find a physician within the network. But I am really unsure about holistic treatment.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 08:09:03 pm »
Not meaning to be cynical but if you tell any doctor you are going to be eating raw anything they will have you committed to an asylum for the criminally insane (OK.....  ;D so I'm exaggerating a bit)

Personally I would try small amounts of these suggestions to see if they were a good idea, increasing the amounts, as they seemed comfortable.

Asking advice from specialists is like asking the blind to read. They have no real clue as to the effects of raw foods as they are not used to it.

Also they have virtually no training on diet. They only know about the odd paper that they happen to read on the subject. Papers are typically done by people who are trying to sell something like drugs 'frinstance. Call me paranoid.

Raw fats do act differently on the body than cooked fats, so their info would be based on cooked.

I have a relative who has MS and a friend who also has MS. One is painfully thin and the other is morbidly obese. It's a strange disease.

There is some evidence that diet drinks may trigger it.

I will try to photocopy page 548 of 'The Rife Handbook, of Frequency Therapy & Holistic Health' by Nenah Sylver, PhD. It's an oversize 700 page tome so it may be difficult to scan.
Cheers
Al

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 08:56:40 pm »
Oh no, I did not mean to say she should tell any doctor about the paleo diet.  -X
I was just referring to the conversation about how conventional insurance does not cover naturopathic and holistic treatments.
She might want to look into some sort of alternative treatment to cope with pains and other problems while she is changing her diet.

I am by no means recommending doctors to her. I had my share of doctor nonsense, got really tired of it, got off meds on my own account and now I'm better. :D
I agree they are trying to sell drugs...or well the makers of the drugs are trying to sell them through doctors which believe drugs to be the only way...

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 12:17:32 am »
That's really good news that the picture is not as bleak as it might have sounded! She can walk around and not in paralysis and can be at home and not in hospice. That's very good. Even better is that she is open to trying new things. Excellent.

Doctors can be used and serve you well if approached with common sense and in the proper way. For instance if the liver is not functioning correctly they might be able to tell you how many grams of fat can be consumed at one sitting without creating serious problems. Then - she can go and eat the kind of fats that will help her instead of hurt her. A kidney doctor can give specific recommendations on how much potassium and salt for instance her kidneys will be able to handle/need and with that information appropriate amounts of particular raw foods can be chosen.

People tend to treat doctors like gods instead of consultants. Just because someone gives you advice doesn't mean you have to take it - but often getting advice can help to make better decisions. With my Mom I found that the more doctors I talked to the better off I was because they often didn't agree or would give me more information that I then could use to make the right decision. The times I got in the real trouble were when I just trusted one and didn't do my own research or get a second opinion. That's what really did the damage. Better to avoid them at first completely by eating right but once you are already in that system, then the key is learning how to use the system for benefit instead of the harm it usually does. With liver and kidney failure and being on chemo - doctors are simply now going to be part of the equation and really  need to be. The key is finding ones that help instead of hurt. First thing I personally would do is get rid of the chemo doctor totally myself. I learned enough to know that if the disease doesn't kill you chemo will.

It's important to learn how to think for oneself and how to ask the right questions. Instead of asking what should I be eating ask for real specifics and then take it all with a grain of salt, think it through and ask other doctors and health professionals until you feel strongly that what you choose makes good logical sense and feels intuitively right.

Not all holistic doctors are worth talking to either. I went through 4 before I found a good one. You can judge them by doing research and seeing if what they are saying to you makes sense to you.

There are some doctors that are much more open to alternative therapies and diets and most doctors will know which doctors those are. I found one foot doctor who was cool so I ask them what other doctors were like them and which doctors their patients said were good and from that one foot doctor I found the best nephrologist maybe on the planet and a superb general MD who looked at all alternative therapies with openness but scrutiny at the same time - which was a great fit - and he was also an absolute sweetheart. Together we took Mom off of 1 medication every three months. He was gleeful watching all those unnecessary meds go off the list. He turned us onto all sorts of foods and supplements from reading and evaluating the data on what has been most proven to work for specific situations - but mostly - he respected our choices.

If your friend wants to fight Suiren - maybe perhaps she should join this conversation. I've personally seen people come back from terminal illness as I'm sure many people here have too - so maybe we can help her to gain more hope and offer our support.... if you think that would be a good idea. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk