Author Topic: Rancid omega 3's in store bought meat?  (Read 3058 times)

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Rancid omega 3's in store bought meat?
« on: April 27, 2012, 04:19:55 am »
Hello everyone.

What are the odds that store bought pastured meats and fish's omega 3's are already rancid when purchased?

I know flax seed oil is sold refrigerated for that very reason.

Could the fats in store bought meat already be rancid?
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Rancid omega 3's in store bought meat?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 04:21:36 am »
Irrelevant. Aged, raw meat is fine for consumption.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 04:23:06 am »
Good to know. Thanks.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 10:30:03 am »
Tyler,  I don't know,,   I agree aged meat in my fridge is better than fresh, but after a couple of weeks or less, fat goes off and definitely doesn't give me the energy that fresh fat does.  I think it does oxidize.  But then there are other nutrients in fat besides fat that could be going off flavor etc.  Low temp rendered fat   (under 110 ) does fine stored away in the fridge in jars,, but there's no air and relatively no moisture to initiate rancidity.    In the wild, any fat on a carcass would be some of the first parts picked over by scavengers...so it would never really pose a problem there. 

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 05:38:25 pm »
I've never had a problem with raw, aged fat, such as when making "high-meat". I agree it does oxidise when stored for long periods, but, apparently, this only happens at a very slow rate. And the oxidisation is, I believe, of a different order to the heat-created oxidisation caused by cooking.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 01:21:17 am »
Thanks for the info.

I just thought about it... Pastured beef omegas probably don't go rancid because of the large amount of vitamin e. Pastured beef has much more vitamin e than regular beef.

Unlike flax seed oil, which has no vitamins at all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk