Author Topic: a strong mother...  (Read 62759 times)

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
Re: a strong mother...
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2012, 05:51:50 am »
Updates for December:

I have experimented lots.

1. Dairy
I seem to have some benefits from dairy, many visible a day after consumption. This does not only happen with raw dairy. Effects: Clearer skin, looking more rested, more energy, better sleep. Without any dairy I tend to have dark undereye circles, which I never had in the past, so that was a red flag to me. However the circles also seem to be related to lacking some other vitamins and nutrients, so it is a combination of the two.

2. Lacking Vitamins
I started shedding more hair a few months ago. My first thought was that I must be lacking something, and so I experimented with different foods and supplements.
Trying to eat more of a variety did not better things for me...at all :/, a Multivitamin only lessened the hair loss. Then I gave a prenatal Vitamin a try, and there you go...5 hairs shed count in the morning instead of 40. In Germany prenatals are not common, so I bought seperate supplements and combined them to get the same amount: Multi+ Iron, Folic Acid & B Vitamins +Zinc. I still take my Vitamin D Supplements (2400 IU) also.
Am a little bummed, since I was recovering from the last two hair loss episodes still (2009, 2011) and this is a set back, but it still looks okay, back to a medium thickness and at least not visibly thinned. I do have visible regrowth again though....must have been more than I thought at first.
I can't wait for the other short hairs to fit into my ponytail.

Btw. I do think that the lack of nutrients is also related to breastfeeding. My body just did not have enough for both of us.

Weight gain:
Went up to around 48 kg, I think I gained about 2 kg and am able to hold my weight better. Lots of honey with butter works better than meat with butter. I eat my meat separately now with some veggies maybe. I have been making coconut flour pancakes to help me ingest a lot of raw butter with honey (like a flat bread) and have been able to consume much more this way.

Breastfeeding:
My son already has ALL his teeth! (except the last molars he gets much later). He was early with teeth and recently grew 12 at once! Without fussing about them once. Ever since he has been chewing away like a champ. He also has the most beautiful, straight teeth I have ever seen on a toddler, only small gaps and somewhat more like adult teeth almost.

He is actively eating now, he eats at the table. Milk is still his primary source of calories, but he sees solids as a nice addition to his milk. I noticed that he eats his meat the best, like the largest portions and does not waste it. Fruits he sees as snacks (aside from banana) and he won't eat large amounts and eventually start playing with it. He does love certain fruits though. He does not like many veggies or lettuce.

One problem we had with his raw meat though - at first he would not eat it, but when I lightly seasoned it he loved it. In order to get him to eat meat (he had been refusing it for a long time) I now resorted to flavoring his meat a little with things like: olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt, herbs, onions, garlic. I use as little as possible, especially never more than a sprinkle of salt, but it makes all the difference for him.
He best likes salmon and ground beef. Chicken is not his thing (mine neither), I want to try giving him lamb and wild game lightly seasoned soon. We usually share, he does not eat it if he does not see me eating it.

For Xmas, I also made some raw treats with coconut and almond flour in the dehydrator. It took forever for them to get firm and dry but it was worth it. For ingredients I used dates (for sweetness), apple, ginger, cinnamon, raw coco powder, banana.
This was the first time he had something "Cookie" like. He does snack on them, but he does not go crazy over the treats and stops eating them after a few , which I think is good.
Nyd byþ nearu on breostan; weorþeþ hi þeah oft niþa bearnum
to helpe and to hæle gehwæþre, gif hi his hlystaþ æror.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2012, 07:01:21 am »
He's beautiful Suiren, thanks for having the courage to raise your baby the right way!

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2012, 09:24:59 am »
your boy is so adorable!
it sounds like you are doing better overall.  i am sure its partially that time is also healing your body, which is great!  i know what it is like to lose hairs from your head.  ugh!  i have these little ones growing back all around my bangs, i am so glad they are there but they are really kind of silly looking:)  i attribute the regrowth to having gained weight, as well as keeping my blood sugars stable and adding broths and gelatin into my diet.  i felt like the day i started adding gelatin my hair started growing back.  both broths and gelatins help to insure that you are getting a full spectrum of amino acids, not just those from the muscle meats but those from every part of the animal.  minerals like silica and phosphorus are good ones to look for too

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2012, 09:20:46 am »
He's beautiful Suiren, thanks for having the courage to raise your baby the right way!

I couldn't raise him any other way :) I don't want anything harmful near him and I don't ever want to see him with any disease.

jessica
He is such a charming, very friendly little guy. Wherever we go people melt away :D

Yes, overall things are getting better. I am well adjusted to my diet now. I remember the times when I could barely stomach eating high fat and low carb.
I thought the first time I lost hair, that I could not possibly have any more regrowth, but after pregnancy I learned that there can be even more intense hair loss. And that is how I regrew and entire fringe, it looked like I had cut dense bangs. I had regrowth all over, but around my face was most noticeable.

My hair (loss) was what made me first worry about my health and look into alternative health topics. I never had experienced hair problems prior to 2009, but I always knew that hair can be the mirror of ones health. If anything is wrong the body will first "save energy, nutrients" etc. on the hair, since it is the least important.
2012 my sides got really thin, overall was thinned but the sides were more noticeable.

My prolactin would not drop then, but since being on the paleo diet, prolactin has not been an issue. "Breastfeeding Alopecia", is of course just a silly name for something that does not exist. If other women only knew they could fix so many hormone related problems with diet :(.
After 4, 5 months my regrowth looked like this:

Timeline of growth, loss and regain...loss and regain -.- *repeat*

(my ends carry old henna hair dye that I grew out, the orange brown is my natural color)
After 8 months of trimming all growth monthly (my method):

I will have to try bone broth, I have only read good things about it. I don't have any gelatin in my diet but it sounds interesting.
My hair loss was always hormonal, always related to prolactin too (maybe not solely for the second time). I will probably go through it again with future children, so I am trying to get used to the thought. It was much easier this time though, especially since I was just so happy about my son day to day. The first time was rough.
(I also experienced a texture change from silky and damage free, to frizzy/ rougher and prone to damage. That has also stopped and my hair has been regrowing with a smooth texture since early spring.)

Silica and phosphorus, I have taken Silica before, but I honestly never even heard of phosphorus being beneficial. What else is it good for?
There seem to be so many vitamins that the body needs, but I am having a hard time consuming all of them. I am taking too many supplements atm for my liking, but am unable to cover all needs with diet.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2012, 07:47:07 am »
Something else:

I am planning to detox through herbs, since I was able to research their safety related to breastfeeding. It will be very gradual. I ordered a few supplements for a liver cleanse, to cleanse my blood and support liver function.

Since it also seems like my hormones did not fully regulate since pregnancy, I am also looking into possibly taking another supplement, that will remove "bad estrogen" and support the pituitary gland.
Problems I am hoping to fix:
-Extreme PMS, worse than the abdominal cramps is the back pain, which feels like back labor...my whole body aches to the point where all I can do is lay there and try not to cry.  I never had painful periods before pregnancy, this is a red flag. My period is also not normal.
-Sudden acne problem

Foods:
I am planning to eat small amounts of raw liver regularly. I am hoping the Vitamin A in it will benefit me in the same way raw dairy does.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2013, 04:31:16 am »
hey suiren, are you still using dr. bronners to wash your hair?  i have found that if you rinse with apple cider vinegar its like a conditioner, it makes your hair really silky feeling and returns it to its more natural ph, i love the way my hair feels after this.  then just rinse with water.  although it doesnt quit rinse the smell out completely and i always feel like i smell vinegary when if i am working up a sweat, :/ !
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 04:36:35 am by jessica »

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2013, 04:49:39 am »
I stopped now. Even though I was using an ACV rinse it was sticky, even my hands were. I have seen this with soap bars (castor oil) before, I think the product leaves too much soap residue.
I found a shampoo that has very few ingredients and nothing harmful. Luckily I do well without conditioner and I really only wash out the oil from my scalp a bit and then use water on the rest :)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2013, 08:28:30 am »
Hi Suiren,

Wow, beautiful long hair.  The first time I met my wife in college, she had hair as long as yours.

Just last Sunday she had a 5 inch hair length cut, so her hair is now just near waist.

I will pass on your blog to my wife so she can learn from your hair care tips.  She recently developed scalp eczema / dandruff.

I'm a FAN of long hair.  Want my girl to grow long hair too, it's now past her shoulder.  My wife and mother in law keeps wanting to cut my 8 yr old daughter's hair, I'm just glad to be there to defend her long hair and remind her to comb / brush religiously.

------------

I have a hair improvement protocol I stumbled upon a few years ago. 

It is just combining the highest raw vitamin C content fruit plus raw animal fat daily every day.  The theory is that the raw vitamin c is absorbed immensely more effectively when eaten with raw fat.

My personal choice available to me is guava or papaya + raw egg or raw bone marrow or raw beef muscle or avocados if in season.

http://www.myhealthblog.org/2008/10/28/how-to-cure-white-or-greying-hair-and-turn-them-all-black-again/

This has worked for me and for old people to see white hair growing black at the roots again.

Maybe it will do something for your hair loss as well.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 08:34:33 am by goodsamaritan »
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2013, 06:00:37 am »
Thank you goodsamaritan! I will have a look at that. :)
I am always looking to improve. I haven't had hair loss for three days now, but I think I am not out of the danger zone.

I think the herbs and increased Vitamin D. really helped though. I am ovulating at the moment and not in much pain just yet. Just a slight back ache earlier and slight ovary discomfort. Much better at least.

Natural long hair is still seen as a good thing in some countries specifically. In the western world fast trends dominate...like trendy short hair cuts, lots of dye, futuristic hair and extensions.
It is nice that your wife still has her hair long. Does she eat the same diet as you?
If diet is not the cause hair products can often cause or at least worsen eczema. Something might be causing her cell turnover to be affected too.

When I was a girl I always wanted long hair, but I was discouraged my whole life. Even as a young adult ("your hair will never grow long, it is not the right hair type"), only when I was 20 I grew it in spite of everyone.
If I had a daughter I would support her wish for long hair. I am glad you defend yours.

What you say about gray hairs is interesting, and I believe it can work. Last summer I had two gray hairs (my first), I haven't seen them in a while, but I will try to find them and see if they will change at all.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2013, 08:29:54 pm »
Updates for late January (a lot of things have changed)

Current "Problems"
Moderate hair loss (from strong to moderate)
Strong PMS (from extremely strong)
Mild Acne (from moderate to strong acne)
Heart palpitations and chest cramps
Fatigue
Joint Swelling
Carpal  tunnel and inflammatory pains

What has changed?

- Increased heart palpitations and chest pain
Never had this in my life! My husband said it's nothing but I think it is very weird.

- Hair loss decreased a bit
Not on it's own, and that does not mean it will stop, but what lowered the shed count a bit was starting on the herbs (DIM, milk thistle, burdock root, vitex), then it lowered a bit more when I increased Vitamin D (to 5000 IU), and even a tad more when I increased iron to 28mg.
BUT it is still increased shedding, my hair is thinning progressively. As always doctors don't take me seriously when I describe hair loss as one of my problems.
Little do they know that hair loss is a sure sign of something not being right. And I don't think it will just stop one day, I waited months to see if it stops.
I also hate how some doctors will say "you don't look bald yet...", am I supposed to let it get that far before I try to figure out what is wrong??? Fucking idiots.

Skin:
On the bright side, my skin has improved LOTS. I know I 'bragged' about improvements a few months into being fully Paleo, but little did I know it could get better. I guess I had totally forgotten how my skin could be.
I still do have some acne, but I went from big cystic acne and bumps under my skin (like the painful kind) to a few small pimples. And what is better than that is how my skin changed overall. It got sooo freaking soft, I think the last time I had soft skin like that was before I was 14. I have no more dryness whatsoever, it is not oily anymore, and just very even and fine textured compared to before. I would say I really have a nice glow at the moment.
I noticed my skin changing only a few days after starting the herbs. I actually felt blood rushing through my cheeks and a sensation of warms (subsided now). I read that is common with burdock root a milk thistle.

PMS
Ovulation was not bad this time, I felt a few twinges and minor pains, very mild back ache, but much better compared to last time. My period is near and yesterday I had back ache, which was still pretty painful this time, but I was able to continue working and did not have to lay down. Definitely less pain.
Supposedly it takes about 3 months to see the full effects.

Joint sweeling, carpal tunnel:
My joints on my hands (especially left), do get slightly swollen sometimes, especially my middle finger left, which gets painful on and off. I often wake up with stiff hands and it is hard to bend my fingers. I had the same until 6 months after giving birth, then it just went away. My guess is it is mainly hormonal?

Fatigue
Meh...I could take a nap any time of the day. I still feel somewhat rested in the morning, but during the day I get moments when I feel sleepy and at night I get really drowsy, before I can even start my work. I swear I made so many mistakes on a customer's dress, that I am afraid she may not want it any more  :(, like really stupid little mistakes because I was not alert.
Can't have any caffeine either, because I seem to react to even black tea.

Reactions to foods:
I have watched my diet closely and I don't know why, but eating certain things will cause me to lose more hair the next day and also have other inflammatory reactions! Maybe it is only like that right now, because my body is less balanced due to the hormones (never had this before)...but it is pretty obvious.

For example:
- Trace amounts of Wheat (usually accidental) : Inflammation, nausea, stomach pains, acne, hair loss
- Too much sugar: Hair loss doubles
- More carbs: Might also result in increased hair loss but haven't tested enough
- Less iron: hair loss doubles (I am worried about taking too much iron! I think I would even need more than 28 or 42mg, which is what I take mostly)
- Legumes like Peanuts and soy: increased hair loss

Mostly my hair and skin are guiding me into knowing what is good for me and what isn't.

DIET:

- cut out lunch meats
- reduced honey from 3-4 tbs to 1/2-1 tbs
- Added more variety in veggies
- Eat meat twice a day instead of once
- No more occasional coffee or dairy (used to every 2 weeks or so)
- Found soy and wheat germ oil in my (organic) shampoo and lotion and threw it out. Using lotion and shampoo only now that is Paleo, but I am about to try washing my hair with herbs.

I am consuming roughly 2000 cals a day (while breastfeeding!) atm but am keeping my weight on, which is crazy bc I used to need much more to maintain.

Mostly I eat 50-60g carbs
120 plus g of fat
110 g of protein

Lifestyle
Limited lights at night even more
Going to sleep 2 hours earlier now, still working on shifting it more.
Sungazing
I do cold showers, although I start luke warm and the try to tolerate the cold water. They are not very cold but it is a start.

Thyroid:
Well my TSH is a bit high, 4.2 but tbh, it was way higher before (8.2) and today my doctor, who does not know about my history said "you know this will eventually turn into Hashimoto's". But I already had a worse case of Hashimoto's years ago, so although my levels are not great right now, I am a bit better than in the past.
The doctor I had seen today was not in favor of natural porcine thyroid hormones, but from what I have been reading, the synthetic ones don't work all that well. That was my experience too.

Blood work:
My liver levels were elevated and my doctor now suspects Hep. B (don't think I have it but whatever), maybe it is because of my current herb liver detox? Or just detox in general.
My prolactin is normal, which is great! Got blood taken to check ferritin and folic acid,

Conclusion:
Well, I personally feel better having figured some things out. My family does not like how I research and try to find causes for my problems, but I don't want to just sit here and trust in doctors. Doctors are only of help imo if you guide them and tell them what you want. Otherwise they spend a ton of time searching in the wrong direction. Been there...
I have at least made some progress.
My husband also thinks I am trying to look too much into it, but I need to figure out what is going on to be at peace.

My son:

Has been wanting to eat more, but even though we never offered anything else, he does not like plain raw meat. He will eat some when lightly seasoned only. I had to decide between not giving a 17 month old meat and seasoning it.
He loves fruit above all, especially Apples, bananas and grapes.  :(
He hates veggies for the most part.

My dog:
Only very slight improvements on a all meat diet, now raw meat, lots of organs and fat,
I wash her with diluted vinegar to help her skin problems a bit. Can dogs to cleanses and detoxes?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2013, 09:30:56 pm »
Well, this may be wrong but the various health-problems could either be due to

a) Not eating fully rawpalaeo.  As I got into this rawpalaeodiet, I would find myself,  eventually, detoxing soon after eating anything non-rawpalaeo.  This is unsurprising as the body, once it's reasonably healthy, will  find it easier to get rid of toxins a lot quicker. So, maybe your symptoms are like detox symptoms - who knows? An Aajonus-derived response would be to eat more cooked foods in the short-term  to slow down the detox.

b) Maybe your husband's right. Maybe all you need is to do something to relieve  daily stress/anxiety. I would recommend yoga. For some strange reason, this practice has helped me more than expected as regards loosening the mind and thereby relieving stress etc. I'm sure it could sort out the palpitations and  chest pain. Yoga sessions are cheap if done in a group. I pay 15 euros for one 2-hour  session a week, 22 euros if I choose to do 2 sessions a week.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2013, 09:43:56 pm »
I like Yoga! Will have to see how much it is, but I have also been able to practice a little at home (with apps). What makes it hard for me to do Yoga is my son, I worry he might need to nurse while I am taking classes, I also don't always have someone to watch him. But I definitely need to exercise a bit, I feel blah when I don't get out some days.

I think transitioning to raw foods more slowly would be better. Especially right now where my body has some regulating to do.
I also think I may have gone low carb too fast. My problems started when I ditched my carrots and sweet  potatos. Not sure if it is related but this made sense to me:
http://wellnessmama.com/4352/is-low-carb-healthy/

Apparently one can have thyroid like problems when going low carb suddenly.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:57:33 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2013, 10:35:55 pm »
he does not like plain raw meat.

i started giving my daughter fatty ground meat with little salt around 16 months.  she eats it well but only when she feels like it, maybe 1-2 times per week.

also, when my wife stopped breastfeeding at 19 months she developed chronic sinus infection.  the doc did some tests and it turned out she has strong zinc deficiency because of breastfeeding.  zinc deficiency can weaken immune system.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2013, 11:11:18 pm »
I am still breastfeeding and because it can take nutrients away from the mother I want to make sure I am getting enough nutrients and vitamins. I never had to take supplements before being pregnant, but now it seems diet is not enough.

It may be zinc, it may be biotin or folic acid, iron, vitamin d, i might benefit from gelatin and magnesium....it is hard to supplement so much, and even harder to have enough in your diet. I write a food journal with the help of an App. and I never seem to get enough nutrients and too much Vitamin A.

What else does your daughter eat? My son eats meat about once a day and fruits.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2013, 12:19:43 am »
Eating raw oysters once or twice a week will give you more than enough zinc and other nutrients.
Eat raw clams too for B12 and more.
This is why it is important to eat complete animals.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2013, 03:45:21 am »
with lower carbs you definitely have to add minerals (magnesium!) and extra water, thats why its suggested to add broths, they wont dilute you, they have amino acids that compliment muscle meats and they can have gelatin if you use the right bits of bone with ligaments etc.

relying on supplements isnt bad, its actually really helpful for a lot of people who are struggling to get their health back in balance.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2013, 06:03:40 am »
What else does your daughter eat? My son eats meat about once a day and fruits.

we tried lots of different things.  in the beginning she was ok with pickled herring and butter, then few months later totally did not want it.  she used to like cucumbers and pickles, not anymore.  same story with other foods.

now at 22m she eats thick rice and chicken soup, less frequently mashed potatoes and butter.  she likes kefir with wild blueberries.  in summer she is crazy about raspberries in our backyard.  also likes young coconut meat.  sometimes raisins.  does not care about other fruits.

few times a week she has scrambled eggs with butter, medium-rare steak, and raw ground meat.

lots of trial and error.  we would put different foods in front of her and see which ones she likes best.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2013, 03:02:50 pm »
I've found the article that deals directly with how to address your Thyroid problems.

http://www.curemanual.com/2009/08/dr-henry-bieler-the-endocrine-glands-are-the-3rd-line-of-defense-against-disease/

This is the 3rd in a series. The 1st line of defense is the digestive system. The 2nd line of defense is the liver. Dr. Henry Bieler talks about these 3 major glands:The Adrenal Glands, The Thyroid Gland, The Pituitary Gland.
So when people are diagnosed with an overactive thyroid or overactive adrenals or overactive pituitary or even the opposite – underactivity – these endocrine glands may merely be compensating for the malfuctioning of the liver and the digestive system. Merely address the liver and the digestive system problems and the endocrine glands go back to functioning normally. Simple concept right?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 03:18:42 pm by goodsamaritan »

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2013, 07:15:18 pm »
jessica

Yes I added magnesium and gelatin! I hope it helps a bit. :)
We will also be ordering bones after pay day.

I feel at the moment supplements are something I need to do, because I can not afford the ultimate health diet. I have been writing down the nutrients and vitamins my foods have, and I am always lacking key nutrients.
So supplements are still better than lacking anything.

ys
Oh, so she doesn't really eat a strict paleo or raw paleo diet. It has been hard keeping my son fully raw paleo. He always wants my cooked food. She seems like a great eater though. He prefers fish, lamb, ground beef, apples, banana, bell pepper, cucumber, all berries, carrots...I often joke that he will be a fruitarian!  :P

GS
Thank you I will read that too. Very interesting statement!

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2013, 07:29:28 pm »
I have been reading about low carb paleo and thyroid like problems related to it and I wanted to know what everyone thinks:

Some people (a very small percentage of my clients) who jump into low carb from a very high carb diet will experience some thyroid-like side effects a few weeks or few months after switching such as fatigue, coldness in extremities, hair-loss or other problems.
In my experience, these clients are also ones who went low-carb for weight-loss reasons and often have an underlying hormone issue to begin with.
For a long time, I considered this slow-transition a problem, and was able to find some things (adding more natural salt into the diet, taking magnesium and gelatin, etc)  that made the transitions easier.

While these supplements do help the transition, and I’d recommend them anyway, a recent article by Dr. Cate Shanahan helped me understand why some individuals experience these thyroid like-symptoms after going low-carb for a while and explains why the slow-transition might actually be the best thing for these people.

Dr. Shanahan explains that advanced thyroid testing will often reveal that these individuals have an extremely elevated reverse T3 level (rT3) and at this point, most doctors will prescribe T3 and think that the problem is solved. Dr. Shanahan explains the rT3 has the opposite effect of regular T3 and essentially makes the body think it needs to hibernate and prepares for such (weight gain, fatigue, brain fog, etc).
She goes on to explain that this phenomenon is similar to bears before hibernation, and this drop in rT3 caused when berries and other readily available carbs disappear creates the fatigue needed for hibernation. Unfortunately, for those of us not interested in hibernation, this can be a problem.

If you are part of the group that suffers from severe carb flu when you remove carbs, or if you’ve gone low-carb for a while and then started to lose energy and gain weight, it’s possible that your rT3 is elevated.

Fortunately, while suddenly removing carbs shocks the system, doing it gradually often helps the system adjust. Dr. Shanahan recommends that patients who suffer from these symptoms go low-carb slowly beginning with breakfast and slowly reducing overall carbs over a period of time.

From what I’ve seen with my own clients, this can be helpful and necessary, especially for those who already have an underlying hormone struggle or who have a severe reaction to removing carbs.

Source: http://wellnessmama.com/4352/is-low-carb-healthy/

they develop fatigue, sometimes accompanied by symptoms of low thyroid function including cold extremities, hair loss, and digestive problems. Only by consuming more carbs again can they reduce these symptoms.

Because their fatigue and other symptoms are classic for thyroid malfunction, many will get their levels tested,....

The reason low carbing triggers thyroid changes

In doing research on rT3, I ran into a fascinating article on a group of little-understood compounds called thyronamines (pronounced thigh-row-na-meens). The key to understanding rT3, and unlocking the relationship between carbohydrate consumption and thyroid function, may lie in these newly discovered compounds.

Thyronamines have powerful effects on energy metabolism

Studies performed in 2010 showed that injecting thryronamines into the belly cavity or brain tissues of experimental animals cause the following physiologic and behavior changes:

Impaired ability to utilize sugar as an energy source
Insulin resistance
Lowered basal body temperature
Weaker than normal heart contractions
A marked decline in activity (We can’t ask the lab animals, but presumably this would be induced by what we would describe as feelings of extreme fatigue)....

Source: http://drcate.com/going-low-carb-too-fast-may-trigger-thyroid-troubles-and-hormone-imbalance/

Could this be my problem? I checked my food diary (my fitness pal) and until September, when I felt great and had no PMS or hair loss (my periods were better then too), I was eating more carbs, mostly around 100 g, and more sugars from honey and fruits. My thyroid was doing fine too.

Then I got tired of carrots and sweet potato, and trying to gain weight with them, and so I stopped eating them abruptly.

Maybe after getting off of carbs from grains and pasta, it was too abrupt of a change to go on low carb paleo a half year later?

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2013, 11:49:35 pm »
Updates for February

PMS - is a bit better than the month before. WAY better than when it was at its worst, but the progress is slowing down.
Acne - Better but not clearing up as fast. It is not real acne anymore.
Hair Loss - Still losing hair, fucking bullshit. I haven't cut it yet, because I am waiting for the hair loss to stop. If it will.
Weight - I gained, am around 50kg, nearly 110 lbs. That is great for me, since it is usually so hard to gain.
Diet - Everything gets me bloated now that I added carbs back, which it never did. I eat about 150g of carbs a day now, which immediately took care of some of my problems. But I think that is as much as diet can do at this moment...
Heart Palpitations/ Chest Pain - gone
Fatigue - gone
Thyroid - Normal
Liver - close to normal, much better than before.
Carpal tunnel - still a problem

New - I have eczema under my eyes now! No idea where it came from or if it is hormonal too.

I am still taking the supplements to detox the liver and remove bad estrogens.

I am waiting for my latest thyroid results and the results of a hormone panel (finally a doctor was willing to do one! Why does it always have to be such a battle)

Sometimes I wish I could just get pregnant again now, and all my hormone related issues would be gone for a  while. My hormones were great when I was pregnant. It was like being on the pill.
But I think it is probably wiser to sort out all my problems first and keep myself from falling apart more.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2013, 02:29:50 am »
In December you mentioned eating honey and butter. We eat lots of it on and off, couldn't tell you how much. But mix honey butter and keep it around. Vary the proportions and see which proportion you prefer. Then mix some cream in with it. Tastes great!

My experience with supplements has never been great. I hear people mention them frequently but I always have issues when I take them. It;s as if you put something out of balance when you take them. Or maybe it is due to the way the supplements are made...

Aajonus Vonderplanitz - Cancer Control Society 2011- Once you heat food
Aajonus Vonderplanitz Cancer Control Society Interview 2011 Set 1
Cheers
Al

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2013, 05:16:17 am »
suiren how does your blood sugar level feel.  do you feel like it is steady?  do you feel hyper and then hypo?  just curious because i know when my blood sugar swings, especially if it gets high, my hair falls out. 

also how often do you do any form of exercise, even walking, where you get your circulation up?  i know getting the ciruculation up into the scalp helps hair, rebounding is good for this, and just for the body in generally, i have met a few older folks who had their hair start growing back better doing rebounding along with coconut oil.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2013, 09:01:54 pm »
Raw Al
Maxbe you simply don't need supplements? I have made mostly positive experiences.
For example- I am always low on Vitamin D., (thyroid problema can contribute to that).
When I started taking a higher dose of Vitamin D. my hair loss at least reduced. It also reduced some more when I started DIM, Burdock root etc.
I can only imagine what a mess I would be, had I not decided to try the supplements.
My bodys function to regulate itself, seems impaired.
I still eat lots of honey and butter.

Jessica
My blood sugar seems to be stable. My hair loss is the same every day pretty much. There haven't been any ups and downs.
I don't feel hypo anymore, my body temp. is normal too.
I take a walk once a day (15-30mins) and at home I am pretty active because I am either power cleaning, holding a 12kg toddler, playing ball, hide and seek or chase him. I only get to sit down once he goes to bed.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2013, 07:19:16 am »
I tend to not consider herbs as supplements, but as food.

If your experience with supplements is good then carry on, you have it figured out.
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk