Author Topic: a strong mother...  (Read 62744 times)

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
Re: a strong mother...
« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2013, 06:22:55 pm »
I tend to not consider herbs as supplements, but as food.

If your experience with supplements is good then carry on, you have it figured out.

It gives me more time to heal an sort things out. I am hopeful my body will detox on its own in the future :)
Nyd byþ nearu on breostan; weorþeþ hi þeah oft niþa bearnum
to helpe and to hæle gehwæþre, gif hi his hlystaþ æror.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2013, 11:51:00 pm »
suiren have you tried supplementing with iodine?  here are two great articles, you can also search lex's journal for a list of complementary supplements and their amounts.  this might be of help to you.

http://drlwilson.com/Articles/IODINE.htm

http://drlwilson.com/Articles/SELENIUM.htm

i just ordered some lugols because i have a few tiny tiny cherry angiomas, which are a sign of bromides in the system, which the iodine will help detox.  hopefully i am also getting a miny trampoline to help clean up my lymph!

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 05, 2013, 01:44:35 pm »
suiren have you tried supplementing with iodine?  here are two great articles, you can also search lex's journal for a list of complementary supplements and their amounts.  this might be of help to you.

http://drlwilson.com/Articles/IODINE.htm

http://drlwilson.com/Articles/SELENIUM.htm

i just ordered some lugols because i have a few tiny tiny cherry angiomas, which are a sign of bromides in the system, which the iodine will help detox.  hopefully i am also getting a miny trampoline to help clean up my lymph!

i take this advice back, because i have read a bit about special concern for hashi's......although its only been little bits....no real anecdotes or other evidence.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2013, 05:02:30 am »
Ah that is why I avoid it in the form of supplements. But I do eat some with food like seaweeds!

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2013, 08:00:57 am »
yeh i cant find out specifically why its bad for hashimotos, but in the iodine thread@marksdailyapple.com there is mention of caution....

i am with you, i would rather take non supplemental form, but the amount of kelp i want to eat sometimes is pretty ridiculous, i can easily eat a cup of granulated kelp, and you know i also go through about a jar of mustard a day.......hmm, could someone be deficient iodine and selenium? its a possibility, so im going to experiement.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2013, 06:27:59 am »
Yeah I do supplement with things that I feel my lifestyle can't provide enough of!

A quick update for early march:

My results are here! And they are great!
My thyroid levels were completely normal. That I have never seen since I know I have Hashi's. My TSH alone dropped from 4.9 in January, to 2.2 as of late February! And it used to be as high as 8 in 2010.
An ultrasound also looked normal again for the first time. The technician said my thyroid is working normally and producing enough hormones, but I do have some scarring from back in the day. So the "destruction" halted so to say.

My organs were also looked at and they looked picture perfect in size, blood flow etc. Good news for once!
I also got my hormones checked but haven't discussed the results with my doctor. They seem normal now, but I want to find out what "normal" would be the best "normal"?
Something certainly must still be off since I still have mild PMS, hair loss and "acne" or rather...my skin is not completely clear.
Then there is also this weird dryness, which I have had since pregnancy and that has now caused problems with my eyes.
I put lanolin under my eyes bc I did not know what else to do and my skin is almost normal again under my eyes. A bit dryer than normal, but not like eczema.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2013, 09:12:40 pm »
Things are looking up!
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2013, 10:27:26 pm »
Congrats, Suiren. I hope things continue to get better.

You say that the Pill and being pregnant seem to help a lot of your problems.  I wonder if there are some specific herbs or animal organs you could eat that would sort of create those some hormonal conditions.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2013, 07:53:29 am »
Thank you both!

The DIM (diindolylmethane) supplement I am taking supposedly balances women's hormones, removes bad estrogens and promotes good estrogen and progesterone.
But lately I have not seen as much bettering as I did the first month. Maybe it just needs more time...or maybe the supplement is not powerful enough alone.

I read that Robb Wolf recommends it to be taken with calcium D glucarate. So I will look into that.

But it would be great if there would be alternatives in case this won't help.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2013, 10:32:16 pm »
http://www.drlwilson.com/Articles/IODINE.htm

a little bit about iodine, selenium and hashimotos.  have you looked into any orthomolecular treatments?

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2013, 12:24:05 am »
Thank you both!

The DIM (diindolylmethane) supplement I am taking supposedly balances women's hormones, removes bad estrogens and promotes good estrogen and progesterone.
But lately I have not seen as much bettering as I did the first month. Maybe it just needs more time...or maybe the supplement is not powerful enough alone.

I read that Robb Wolf recommends it to be taken with calcium D glucarate. So I will look into that.

But it would be great if there would be alternatives in case this won't help.

Have you ever tried the herb called Dong Quai?  It's a very safe balancer for female hormonal issues.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2013, 08:50:11 am »
http://www.drlwilson.com/Articles/IODINE.htm

a little bit about iodine, selenium and hashimotos.  have you looked into any orthomolecular treatments?

I have never heard of orthomolecular treatments!

Have you ever tried the herb called Dong Quai?  It's a very safe balancer for female hormonal issues.

When I first lost hair in 2009/10 I took a menopause supplement that had it. It helped a bit back then. I will consider adding it! I don't feel all is fully balanced yet. I still have mild PMS and breakouts.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2013, 07:02:37 am »
Updates for April to May 2013
I have experimented some and learned lots.
Although my major problems are better or even gone, I still have some work to do. Some of these things can not be bettered by diet alone, or at least not fast enough.
I want to be in excellent shape next pregnancy. I don't want to be a high risk pregnancy again. I want to be guided by a natural midwife, instead of an OB Gyn, so I can attempt a natural birth after C-Section.
I am also planning on nursing through pregnancy and after tandem nursing both children. So I need to be the strongest possible. Pregnancy is very tiring especially in the first trimester.
I need to fix my hormonal problems, to assure problem free conception and not adding to hormonal imbalances next pregnancy. I feel the strong surge of hormones from pregnancy has really messed with my hormones, and since my body was always prone to hormone related problems (but mostly spared) it is having a hard time bouncing back. Not to mention I used to take birth control pills for 7 years until 2009.
When I took the herbal supplements they had improved my PMS drastically, reduced the hair loss I was going through then, and also bettered my skin (acne).
I stopped after 2 1/2 months. I had just experienced my first completely normal, pain free period since it returned at 12 months postpartum. But, my problems returned. My skin was the first thing to go bad again, and my following period wasn't as great either. It was on time and not longer than normal, but heavier and I experienced bad PMS again.
I don't think I was taking the supplements long enough, and I was taking a bit less than the recommended dose too. That is why I will go back on the supplements. It is only logical right now...I can't be going through excruiating pain during ovulation and around my period, that could equal up to two weeks of problems and at least 4 days of being completely miserable.

As far as my skin and indigestion goes:
I tested a few things to make sure it really IS hormones causing me troubles. For one, I ate a Wai diet for two weeks to see how I would feel on it and how my skin would respond. I even stopped using moisturizer and wearing mineral foundation or powder (to cover pimples and reduce shine).
It did not do anything for my acne. At first I thought I was clearing up, but it turned out to be just normal fluctuation. I have some good days and then hormones cause me to break out, my skin will then heal just to break out again. With time it is really causing damage to my skin...the red marks won't fade easily, even when I am not broken out I have visible red marks for a long time. I don't have a lot of room for experiments or time to wait, because I might end up needing a face transplant :P.
The Wai diet diet improve the texture of my skin a bit though. Similar to the bettering I had experienced going cooked Paleo. Before Paleo, even when having clear skin, I would often get small bumps, that weren't pimples, just bumps all over...my skins texture just did not seem as even (children always have an even texture).
Well, it got more even on Paleo, which i think also has to do with the avoidance of dairy much, and even more even and fine pored on the Wai diet. So basically I have amazing skin...with Acne! Makes no sense, but thats the truth. If I did not have pimples, I would have beautiful skin....so weird.
One problem with the Wai diet was energy. I was constantly eating fruits and would get hungry every half hour. I find that very inconvenient. I would also be a bit jittery, rather than energized. I had trouble sleeping....like I would be too jittery to calm down enough to sleep well. I lost weight fast, despite eating 3000 cals, which is not good for me.
When I hit 46kg, I stopped, added a few veggies to my diet, and I gained weight back fast *shrug*....
BUT, I still eat raw meats and fish, raw egg yolks, and only use (sesame) oil to moisturize. I only cover single pimples if they really stand out, but I mostly only get small red bumps under my skin that won't come to the surface.
My skin is not oily anymore! Since I was 17 I have been fighting oily skin and now it is just gone...my skin is still dry though. Has been since pregnancy.
My bloating improved a bit on the Wai diet, but Ithink it is also because food would just pass right through. My stools were too soft and sometimes I had diarrhea.
Any food gets me bloated. I tried a fruit day, orange juice day, meat and fish day. I am not bloated in the morning, but every hour my bloating gets a bit worse. I think even if I just drak water all day....:(
I do feel it is hormonal too. It started after pregnancy, but just minor bloating and worsened much when my period returned.
After getting off the Wai diet, I started eating SAD foods every day. Just about one or two small things a day, to see how my body would react. I had never tested it.
I did not break out from anything. My skin was even great (but I do believe it will still break out during ovulation and period as always. I ate sugar, wheat, drank coffee, had dairy products, the whole program. I do not react to any foods (anymore), no breakouts, no hypoglycemia, I did not even feel shitty. I was also much less bloated....yesterday I ate the most grain products, Pizza for lunch, rice for dinner and I was barely bloated at all -_-....that really sucks.
Today was my last day. I don't want to eat that way permanently of course, but I needed to see a few things for myself. I am 100% sure now my acne is hormonal. So I can stop guessing and eliminating even healthy foods.
As far as the bloating goes...- I think my body is not used to a lot of plants and fruits. I was raised on grains only. It seems I have a problem with fiber from fruits, since peeling fruits makes a difference when it comes to digestive pains.
And I also DO have a fructose malabsorption....
It is not normal, not being able to even digest a small amount of fruits and veggies properly. My body is certainly weird there. I have said it before that I can not go low carb. I have experienced to many problems on it, and I am not sold on the benefits of very low carb. I have read too much saying that it is not ideal. At least for many people. There are a TON of people that ran into low carb problems all over the web. People that ate a Paleo diet, that had a good plan and stuck with it for a long time...I am not sure everyone can adapt to LC. Too much carbs and sugar are certainly not ideal either, and I don't see how it would be natural to binge on fruits with sugar all day.
Probiotics:
On a positive note, the probiotics have taken away my digestive pains :) I felt mild discomfort and cramps when digesting prior to probiotics, but the pain is gone...unless I eat high fructose corn syrup...which I am not planning to, but I tested it to confirm I am still fructose intolerant (I wish I wasn't)
Parasite Cleanse:
Possibly up next. Just waiting for ovulation to pass because I want to see how much I will break out this time using probiotics (so far only minor zits, but that might just be the quiet before the storm)
Baby stuff:
I have baby fever ;( or rather, it has been getting stronger. I really should wait at least a year though. I want to give my body time to heal, figure out the hormonal problems, be well established on a good diet , weigh enough since I will lose weight in the 1st trimester, and most importantly make sure my son will get enough breastmilk.
Most women dry up in pregnancy and I want him to get the toddler designed bm during the third year. The composition changes during the last time then.
I would like him to nurse through pregnancy too and I want him to be old enough to understand that my milk supply will only be low for about 15- 20 weeks and that he can still nurse, just less and then resume when the baby is here, old enough so he can get enough nutrition from solids, old enough to not need other milk (I plan to freeze my milk too). He does love his milky, he was "sick" (runny nose only) recently and did not nurse much due to a stuffy nose, his latch is also not great and so my supply dropped drastically (!!). When his nose was better and he wanted to resume nursing, there was barely any milk and he was freaking out. He woke seven times at night, crying for milk, he was cranky during the day, lost weight, he was upset at me, thinking I did not "want" to give him milk, he was sitting on my lap, crying and begging while saying "Mama" and even used the words "Happa Happa" (our word for nursing - German) for the first time to convince me...I was so sad. I cut out ALL solids for a while, started taking lots of Fenugreek herbs again and made sure he sat down while nursing and not running off before he was done). My supply is back up and he gained weight on mostly breastmilk. What is odd is that the less soilds he eats, and the more breastmilk he gets, the heavier he will be. He was very chunky up until a year old (95th percentile). Lately he has been between the 50th and 75th percentile (75th now that he gained weight). One more reason to make sure he has lots of breastmilk available. My idea is for him to nurse, and if he wants solids after that he can have as much as he wants, as long as he does not skip nursing session. Plenty of both should assure that he keeps that healthy, robust look that some toddler lack. Toddlers are often skinny and picky eaters, and I believe it is because they are meant to drink a good amount of milk for longer than we think. At least they would have in nature, before humans decided to wean children onto solids early.
If I was young, I would not worry as much about conceiving again, but I want more than two children...at least that would be my dream, and my body will be most fertile between 27-37 (late bloomer). So I got six more years of easy conception and pregnancies.
Of course I could be a total exception and be fertile long past my mid thirties, but do I KNOW that for sure? So I won't bet on it, although I am positive my baby making future is rather bright.

Hair loss:
Well, my hair is recovering from the hair loss, regrowing fast like always...I only really trimmed 1 inch, and did my monthly trims, so it is still the same length as before. It is thinner, but since my ends are not too transparent, I decided to not cut it much and instead wait for it to thicken up again. It usually only takes a half year. Also...with hair loss my hair only goes from rather thick to medium thick, so I guess I can't complain. Although I would like to have my natural overall volume of almost 4 inches again some day...maybe after children :), and then I might grow it long again too. Hip-Tailbone length feels a bit short.
Interestingly, I did not shed as much as usual, since the herbs and some other supplements like D3 drastically decreased the shedding rate during the hair loss, so it was not all that devastating to wait out the three months for the shedding to stop...I now lose 3 hairs in the morning as opposed to one hair ball.
That was long....wow.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 07, 2013, 09:44:19 am »
It sounds like you're going to be placing a lot of demands on your body.  I'd make sure you were getting all the trace minerals, macro-minerals, and vitamins that you will need during the pregnancy.  Oysters, clams, and fatty wild fish are all good for that.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 07, 2013, 05:00:05 pm »
Yes that is a good thought. I have been reading about minerals specifically. Some believe that we always lack minerals, even on the best diet, because the ground does not contain enough minerals anymore and therefore even natural foods (and animals) may lack nutrients. I wonder how much truth is in that statement?

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2013, 07:16:35 pm »
(...) the ground does not contain enough minerals anymore and therefore even natural foods (and animals) may lack nutrients. I wonder how much truth is in that statement?

It's certainly true for the soils depleted by chemical fertilizers.
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2013, 08:11:23 pm »
Some soils were always deficient, like in most of Australia. Where there is no recent volcanic activity, and where there has been a lot of rain for millions of years, you will find poor soils.

Eating seafood gets around this problem pretty effectively.

Offline Suiren

• Elder
  • (r)evolutionary mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 19, 2013, 08:44:53 am »
Long time no update. I want to try to keep it short.

Facial Yeast:
The anti fungal cream really, really cleared it all up. It took a very long time though, for it not to grow back within a day.
The first three months of treating it, I would have some mild flaky skin regrowth inbetween applications.
Now I can go 2 days without anti fungal cream at least. I might even be able to go without it for longer, but I don't know for sure. I have honestly been too scared to stop using it. Instead I have reduced the applications.
Some parts were really difficult to treat. Like my eyelids and lips.

After the yeast had cleared my skin was left in a aged looking state. Somewhat deflated, thin, crinkly etc. It is a known fact that yeast breaks down collagen. So maybe that is what happened. When I would raise my eyebrow, or pinch the skin around my eyes, it would look like 70 year old skin.

I added a few supplements (Hair, Skin & Nails and Vitamin C) and made sure to eat my starchy carbs (sweet potato, banana) with lots of fat to help my skin heal. And heal it did....like wow! I have before and after pictures somewhere, but I have been too lazy to upload them.
My skin gained so much firmness and plumpness...I don't even get that little dent in my cheek anymore when smiling. My eyes also bettered by A LOT. Not sure they are fully back to normal, but I started treating the yeast around my eyes much, much later. At least I don't get any crinkles anymore.
I'm really not sure how young looking my skin is supposed to be at my age, all I can say it is better than with the yeast.

My skin has been very clear. I don't seem to be getting hormone related break outs anymore. Not around my period either.

I will keep reducing the anti fungal cream, but use it until I have found a permanent solution to the yeast problem. I still want to treat it internally, but all attempts have messed up my digestion.

Digestion:
I haven't been able to afford the probiotics but my digestion has been better and I only get mild bloating sometimes. Still, I think another round of probiotics and enzymes would really perfect things!
My weight has been pretty stable and higher than it used to be.

Hashimotos:
Still great! I reduced my Raw Thyroid Supplements to only taking it every 2 days.

Hormones and PMS:
I have experimented lots! In Spring I actually tried to quit taking the supplements for hormonal balance, but my PMS came back. Not as bad as before but definitely not good.
I wanted to see if I can do with less supplements and changed things around a few more times. I now seem well adjusted with milk thistle (for the liver) and 1 tablet of DIM a day. My periods have been great.

Overall Feeling:
Really good! Definitely much better than in a very long time. I sleep well, feel rested even if I don't get 8 hours...in fact 8 hours is often too much, I prefer 7.
I seem to have a lot of strength and energy (I was able to compare when carrying Christmas trees), I still don't use a stroller and carry my 12 kg, 85 cm tall son when I take him to the city (he is too scared to walk much in crowds).

Now on to the things that aren't great:

- I still have unexplained pain near my belly button (two fingers to the left and right of it), which I can feel when I poke that area. It is very painful when poked and it is almost always there. Only once in the morning I wasn't able to find the pain, but other mornings I did feel pain....
I think I will have to see a doctor about this to get an idea of what I'm dealing with. I would like to avoid a colonoscopy or something like that though.

- I have been experiencing hair loss again since late July/ early August. I actually only had a three month break since I first started losing hair again in Oct. 2012.
All my tests came back great though....my hormones are fine too...there seems to be no reason for my hair loss.
I am shedding less hair though...more like an increased amount, but not losing clumps. It has been staying at the same reduced medium thickness that way. Just not thick like it used to be.
What is very odd, is that my hair has been getting healthier and shinier again over the past few years. My texture had changed with illness and now it seems to be changing back slowly. I keep finding hairs on my head that started growing in a coarse, uneven texture and further up they are silky and smooth.
My hair color has also been more vivid. In a lot of light the red shimmer can be seen much more and it looks pretty saturated. I remember my hair color paler and cooler in the past.
My hair is growing with the speed of light also...it always grew fast, but now....I cut it in Summer due to the hair loss and was able to regrow it all in three months. I am getting a monthly growth of about 2cm now.

Isn't this confusing? Some things are so good but I still shed hair....

In a way I am thinking all the experimenting and tweaking with supplements might have triggered hair loss. DIM and such are known to cause temporary sheds when starting because each time your hormones adjust.

I have been sure to keep all my supplements stable. I also have not made any change to diet, especially not carbs/ sugars (from fruits). It feels like my blood sugar levels are very stable atm.
I haven't measured though.

Sometimes I also wonder if I am lacking something on my current diet, that I had enough of when eating SAD foods. I have been looking more into making sure I get nutrients from liver and organs too.

Last but not least...it is VERY likely that the hair loss is caused by breastfeeding, and here is why:
My son stopped breastfeeding about 4 times this year when he was sick. With a stuffy nose he does not want to breastfeed and he took a break only to resume full breastfeeding again once his nose was all improved.
Women shed hair after weaning from breastfeeding because of the drop in hormone levels. My body must have thought we are stopping, but was then taken on a roller coaster ride...I am certainly prone to hair loss from prolactin...so maybe the drop and rise in prolactin triggered the shed...and then of course a shed can last 3-6 months...that would explain my problem...if that is the culprit.

But I have not time for guessing....I will still get a few things checked. And I am planning on doing another MRI. I have been postponing it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk