Author Topic: Kimchi  (Read 12864 times)

Satya

Kimchi
« on: May 22, 2008, 01:38:22 am »
It has Chinese cabbage, daikon radish, spring onion, carrot, pepper powder, garlic, ginger and Celtic sea salt.  Just leave out overnight then refrigerate.  Eat in a week for a fresh flavor, longer for sour.

xylothrill

Re: Kimchi
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 04:39:51 am »
That's one way to temp ME into eating veggies. I used to love that stuff when I was a raw vegan. That's how I learned to make it properly. I liked it best after about 4 days at room temperature. Mine was closer to sauerkraut though - not as many spices.

What a perfect setting for the pic.  :D

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 04:49:46 am »
The pic definitely looks very tasty! I normally hate doing any recipes, preferring mono-eating, but this sort of thing is quite interesting. Plus, it's more in tune with the views held by non-raiwsts - at least, I'm sure that non-rawists wouldn't be disgusted by the above.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 07:44:25 am »
I love kimchi and I think I'll try this out next time I'm vegetable and fruit shopping.

I forgot to compliment your photo on the sashimi roll topic so I'll do that here, and also compliment this photo as well. The photos are clutch, if my fellow posters are anything like me then they know that they are about 3 times or more likely to make the recipes in books that have pictures than the ones without!

Satya

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 03:10:18 am »
Thanks guys.  It was a cute idea with the map underneath, if I do say so myself.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 03:29:48 pm »
I just put some together and we'll see what happens. I "covered" it in a glass bowel with the last of the cabbage leaves. I also used a fresh hot pepper instead of powder, but if that's not enough I'll add some cayenne as well. I love the spice!

Satya

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 09:17:37 pm »
I just put some together and we'll see what happens. I "covered" it in a glass bowel with the last of the cabbage leaves. I also used a fresh hot pepper instead of powder, but if that's not enough I'll add some cayenne as well. I love the spice!

I think the Korean powder is pimento powder, as it is not too spicy.  Cayenne and paprika would be good too.  But none of that is necessary so long as you have some hot peppers.  I love it hot.  Kyle, do try a minced habanero in there sometime, eh?

You know, you can do an Italian giardiniera (sic?), which is similar to kimchi, by adding some pepperocino, sweet red pepper, cauliflower and some herbs like oregano and rosemary to some Napa cabbage.  Cabbage was born to ferment and has all the nice little lactobaccilus bacteria on the leaves.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 05:57:47 am »
I think something went wrong with my kimchi. I left it out from the fridge for much longer then one day, and it looked and smelled a little funny when I took it out.

Satya

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 06:56:49 am »
I think something went wrong with my kimchi. I left it out from the fridge for much longer then one day, and it looked and smelled a little funny when I took it out.

Oh, well, what is the room temperature like?  Here in Texas, I have to refrigerate it soon after making or it gets too sour too fast.  And then it's just not as light and fresh.  Better luck next time, dude. 

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 08:30:26 am »
I've had kimchi from a jar that I really liked, I believe it was the "Sunja" brand, and also from a Korean restaurant. Compared to those two, mine seemed slimy and not as...good.

xylothrill

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 02:44:47 am »
I've had kimchi from a jar that I really liked, I believe it was the "Sunja" brand, and also from a Korean restaurant. Compared to those two, mine seemed slimy and not as...good.

Ohh! If it's slimy it surly went bad. Don't eat it!

Satya

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 09:07:04 pm »

Here's the batch I made yesterday afternoon.  It has some black sesame seeds in it.  I will refrigerate it now.  I like the fresher taste better, and it will last a week or two anyway.

See those chickies in the background?  Those are Silkie Bantams.  Their eggs are small, but they are so cool-lookin'.

Satya

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 07:31:18 am »
I found this video blog of Korean food prep some time back.  Some of it is raw, but most is cooked.  In fact, Koreans and Japanese as groups probably eat more raw animal foods than any modern civilized peoples on the planet.  This lady has great taste in music; and her kimchi recipe, while including cooked flour and sugar, is good overall for technique.  It is super easy to leave out those offending items, as Koreans I know don't use them.  Got to love the raw oysters in her kimchi!  Use glass bowls and containers instead of plastic.

Here's her kimchi recipe page, but you will find raw tuna salad and a few other raw dishes besides kimchi on her site. 

http://www.maangchi.com/recipes/kimchi-kaktugi

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 01:48:35 am »
I like that page. I'm tired of trying to make stuff from recipes where I'm taking out ingredients to make it healthier though, it's takes a while and usually I end up disappointed with the results. It would be great if a chef with some good chefing instincts could help me adapt recipes to paleo/raw paleo.

Satya

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2009, 03:59:36 am »
Yeah, we need more video demos like maangchi's, only without the cooked crap.  I will try to do something short, sweet and to the point, but I don't know that it will be kimchi any time soon.  I am just not eating that much in terms of plant food now, and the last batch I made went slimy cuz I didn't eat it within a few months.  Oh, and I can't find the photo I had in this thread.  C'est la vie.

And really, I think Goodsamaritan should consider putting his video clips on rawpaleodiet.com.  Youtube is okay, but having a bunch of stuff on a paleo website is really cool.  You might get paleo eaters who would never even consider raw animal foods visiting the site and seeing that raf is cool.  Pictures are good, but the instructional stuff is exponentially better, imho.

Offline seesawsemiology

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 08:31:53 am »
huh, i generally leave kimchi out (unrefrigerated) an average of two weeks before eating/refrigerating and it just gets better with age... i wonder if im doing something different in my recipe or just have  different taste -\

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk