Author Topic: New to forum, 1 year of raw paleo so far  (Read 5771 times)

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
New to forum, 1 year of raw paleo so far
« on: November 11, 2008, 04:34:07 pm »
Name's Jason, I live in Las Vegas, the driest damn place on the planet.  Just found this forum; glad to have found some people who are of similar mind/determination to have true understanding of the body, and to bounce ideas around.  I've been doing raw food for almost a year now, it's been an enlightening journey.  I owe alot to Aajonus and the ideas in his book, We Want to Live.  If you are new to Raw Paleo, I highly recommend you go read it, today.  I waited a month or so and it cost me fumbling around on alot of stuff I could have avoided.

I've experimented with alot of different types and combo's of raw food, from mostly vegetarian to almost zero carbs.  Here's where I'm at now:  breakfast - berries, honey, 4-7 eggs  :  lunch - 3/4 to 1 pound beef with tomato/peppers/bell peppers  (maybe only 50-100 calories carbs)  :  dinner - same as lunch, usually a full pound  : snacks in between include eggs, berries, papaya, particularly before workout in early evening (tho I haven't mixed papaya and eggs yet).  I also drink raw goats milk as a midnight snack for recovery and better sleep.  Sometimes I'll eat some chicken or rarely fish when I have a taste for them - I generally try to be mindful of the instinctive self.  I also noticed a need for alot of juicy fruit at first, and then slowly seemed to move towards a taste for more meat, less sweet ripe fruit.

I pretty much went cold turkey into this and noticed some immediate benefits (1-8 weeks):
Sleep better at night / have more energy during the day
Face cleared up immediately; have very few if any pimples
Not nearly as thirsty - if only I didn't live in the desert, would probably drink hardly any water at all
Lips hardly ever chapped anymore - I used to need chap stick constantly
Much more resilient to cold (and subsequently heat, as I started this diet 1 Jan 2008)

Of course my 25 yr old self in a city like Las Vegas did lend itself to boozing it up (and of course the drunken munchies afterwards - pizza, burritos, burgers/fries) on a week-endly basis, which held me back for quite awhile.  It was a process of detox from the weekend, feel good again wed/thur/fri, and then start all over.  I know stupid right?  Nonetheless, I still accomplished some detox and health benefits, learned alot from experimentation of food combinations, what works/doesn't work, and finally brought the drinking to almost none (only a couple times in the last few months).  And it's been the last few months that some very profound changes have taken place:    

LONGER TERM BENEFITS (6-11 months)
Tons of energy in the gym - can regularly keep going for 2 hours
Eyes have lightened in color and brightened in clarity
Breath is much better - never brush teeth anymore
Singing voice suddenly got better
I can go for much longer periods w/o eating but still keep energized
Body seems very resilient to injury/sickness/change in environment
Senses feel sharper, more alert
Emotions more balanced; calmer but energized
Mind is calmer and more focused; more perceptive and sharp/quick; more creative

Some of these seemed to happen almost overnight, some of them came on more subtly, but no doubt apparent.  It's been kind of a journey of peaks and valleys.  I've definitely had my share of detox symptoms, though nothing that has been too extreme or too long lived.  I'd say to most new guys, you will probably go through periods of feeling great mixed with periods of not so great, usually marked by diarrhea sometimes lasting up to 2-3 weeks.  Stick it out, maybe experiment some, but believe me, it's worth it.

So I have been meaning to try something that I know will probably bring great increases in health - I'd like to start growing worms, crickets and other bugs for food.  I know we had to have eaten alot of these as hunter-gatherers in times of shortage, or even as just snacks throughout the day or on the hunt.  Anyone out there have any experience with this?  I'd like to hear what you have to say.  

Last thing I'll say is about alignment health.  If you have chronic bone or muscular pain (back pain, tendinitis, a 'hitch' in your knee or whatever), the best thing you could possibly to do is go buy a book called "The Egoscue Method of Health Through Motion," by Pete Egoscue.  Read it, follow it it to the letter.  My dad used his methods to kick gigantic knee braces he wore for decades; I used it to come back from a 25 foot fall off a balcony (which broke my foot in too many places to count and jacked my back for awhile), and showed it to my girlfriend to CURE her headache problems and back tension (I know right, cure your woman's headaches, who would have thought it possible?).  If you do it, and stick with it, it works, results are equally as dramatic as this diet.  

Well I guess that's it.  I could go on, but I'll save it for other posts.  Anyways, glad to have found a place to learn/share ideas, hope I can offer some good information to contribute.

-Jason
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: New to forum, 1 year of raw paleo so far
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 06:18:44 pm »
Welcome to the forum! Glad you're sorting things out re health.

Re bugs:- I've only eaten a few maggots and couldn't overcome my socially-conditioned disgust. I'm well aware that Australian Aborigines would eat live witchetty grubs and that insects, many of them eaten raw, are available in many developing nations, but it's not worth it for me. Make sure that whatever insects you raise are fed on high-quality nutrients - garbage in, garbage out, after all.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 06:20:46 pm by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 09:08:15 pm »
Wow,  I'm glad you found the forum and started posting.  I love that part about how to cure your woman's headaches.  Thanks for sharing your story. 

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 12:57:42 am »
I think I do a similar thing as you. I start off with fruit, then to less sweet fruit or roots. Then start going after the meat.

Satya

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 11:09:48 pm »
Hey Jason, has your eating changed much in the last 3 months?  Do you still eat 3 meals a day?  You mention workouts at the gym.  What do they consist of exactly?  Okay, 3 questions is enough. 

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 01:43:13 am »
Actually it has.  I eat alot fewer carbs and 2 big meals a day, 1-1.5lb beef at noonish and again at 8-9PM - only w/o the tomato, avocado, bell pepper that I used to.  Breakfast is just a snack, 2-3 eggs with lemon/lime and honey/berries, but very few, really just a small taste.  I've added an extra coconut for water.  If I was anywhere else I probably wouldn't need it, but 5-10% humidity sucks the fluids right out of you.  I'm still on goats milk, I know, not RP or ideal, but it does help me to gain weight, no doubt.  Oh yeah, I quit eating ground beef, I just don't seem to do as well with it as whole beef. 

Gym for me these days is spent trying to bulk up.  I've always been a thin type, but I seem to be doing much better on this diet (and also after I'm not plagued by parasites in which I lost 10 lbs).  I do squats, dead lifts, lunges, cleans (lifting a weighted bar from the ground to over your head), 1 legged squats, bent over rows, inlcine press, and various exercises with dumbells.  I also have a couple metal pipes 5-6 ft in length that I toss, twirl, and use to work wrists and shoulders (like bow staff) .  I avoid machines like the plague, as they promote injury and tend to move the body in isolated, unnatural ways.  I put on some good strength and 8lb since 10 Jan, but my waist is starting to creep up on 32".  In a few weeks here I'll probably add in a day or two of running with anaerobic worked in (hand-stand/1arm/incline push ups; different types of pull ups, sprints), and cut back a little on the 2-3 lb of beef every day. 
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 01:52:16 am »
Oh yeah, I gym it up about 4-5 times a week.  I've noticed lately that my body seems to recover MUCH faster.  I'll get in some good lifting 2-3 days in a row, and decide to rest the 4th day, only to feel great and go back to the gym anyways.  This high octane diet seems to promote rapid recovery.     

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 02:01:20 am »
You might want to consider taking more days off if bulking up is your goal. But if it's working for you then that's all that counts.

Satya

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 04:32:21 am »
I think Rafonly is right about the premature meals thingy.  I don't care for breakfast either.  But I don't think I could eat just one meal a day always.  I do martial arts midday a couple times a week and am always famished following that.  And besides that, it's just difficult to eat so much at one sitting for me.

Goat dairy is at least easier to digest for some people than cow dairy.  Have you considered fermenting the goat milk to kefir?  That would take away some of the carbs and provide probiotics.  There does tend to be this problem popping up now and then of thin people wanting dairy to aid in gaining mass.  I forget what the dairy free solution is, if there is one.

I think your gym schedule looks good, especially since it feels good for you.  The biggest gainers do tend to be those guys who work one body part a day per week.  But then, that's kind of an unnatural thing too.  I lift free weights at home on the following schedule now:
Sat - chest, abs, tris
Sun - back, bis, delts
Mon - legs
That way I can function for tkd class come Wed, and not over train.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk