Author Topic: Low carb and zero carb exercise  (Read 16436 times)

JaX

Low carb and zero carb exercise
« on: November 14, 2008, 02:13:23 am »
What type of exercises is low carb/zero carb best for?

I really enjoy exercising and it's one of the things I don't want to give up. I want to be able to train daily or at least 5-6 times per week for 1 hour. That's why I want to know if this style of eating (cutting out sweet fruits and maybe carbs altogether) is optimal and allows for daily exercise.

I usually mix anaerobic with aerobic exercise. I run, bike and lift weights. My long term goal is to gain more solid weight and flexibility, while also being able to sustain running for some good time. Should I completely cut out my aerobic training and focus only on weight training? And does zero/low carb work well for gaining weight and fast recovery with bodybuilding?   

Those of you who have experimented with zero/low carb while exercising, please tell me your experiences with it. Is recovery time longer/shorter, do you have more energy at the gym, what form of exercises suit this diet the best, should sweet fruits be added if one wants to exercise very often, vigorously? 

JaX

Re: Low carb and zero carb exercise
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 11:43:46 pm »
....anyone?

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 12:21:20 am »
For the short while that I did zero carb, I noticed an increased recovery time. Energy levels were the same.

I didn't really notice much difference in anything doing zero carb, except for the longer recovery time, and I enjoy fruits so I added them back in.

Offline The Barbarian

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 01:30:25 am »
Well I'm an athlete by trade. I've been zero carb raw primal now for 5 weeks or so and I can honestly say that now that my body has made the adjustment metaboliclly, my energy is better than ever. Including explosive power (the kind you suposedly need carbs for). My body makes the exact right amount of carbs out of the proteins I eat for me to function my best so this notion going around that you have to eat carbs for explosive energy is completely fiction (as are so many beliefs in modern society).

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 03:51:12 am »
Well I'm an athlete by trade. I've been zero carb raw primal now for 5 weeks or so and I can honestly say that now that my body has made the adjustment metaboliclly, my energy is better than ever. Including explosive power (the kind you suposedly need carbs for). My body makes the exact right amount of carbs out of the proteins I eat for me to function my best so this notion going around that you have to eat carbs for explosive energy is completely fiction (as are so many beliefs in modern society).

Well, I note that there are no genuine athletes on zero-carb(Charles is not viewed as a serious athlete by the genuine RVAF athletes I've come across). The issue re longer recovery-time while on zero-carb has been admitted by Charles, and there is some (admittedly primarily anecdotal) reports re zero carb being fine for aerobic activity but not anaerobic activity.

I suppose the real test would be to find any Inuit Olympic runners(on traditional ZC diet) and the like.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 12:33:02 am »
I suppose the real test would be to find any Inuit Olympic runners(on traditional ZC diet) and the like.

Why would they have to be Inuit? The real test would be to do a test, take athletes and measure their performance, VO2max and stuff like that after putting them on a zero carb diet for a month or so. Maybe longer if they're interested in doing actual science for once.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 03:38:03 am »
Why would they have to be Inuit? The real test would be to do a test, take athletes and measure their performance, VO2max and stuff like that after putting them on a zero carb diet for a month or so. Maybe longer if they're interested in doing actual science for once.

That's what I meant. Only Inuit and (maybe) long-term ZCers would have done the diet long enough for there to be any point.Everyone else would have to go through some sort of transition and that transition does have certain side-effects.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

William

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 05:16:59 am »

IIRC Phinney has done something like that:"Ketogenic Diets and 
Physical Performance".
Mentioned in paleofood list, Re: Was Pemmican cure, Now Protein to Fat Ratio

Thu, 9 Apr 2009 07:58:11

William

carnivore

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 08:51:33 pm »
Well, I note that there are no genuine athletes on zero-carb(Charles is not viewed as a serious athlete by the genuine RVAF athletes I've come across). The issue re longer recovery-time while on zero-carb has been admitted by Charles, and there is some (admittedly primarily anecdotal) reports re zero carb being fine for aerobic activity but not anaerobic activity.

Inuit had a life that was physically demanding. Fishing, hunting, etc. in the Artic required a very good physical condition and recovery.
Same thing for Indians from the north. They were perfectly adapted to a zerocarb diet.

Today, there are so few people on zero-carb that I am not surprised that there are no genuine athletes among them!

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 09:46:02 pm »
Before I switched to ZC I was flirting with the idea of training towards some Ironman contests (I'm very competitive due to a lot of sibling rivalry growing up and just a marathon, etc. seemed too low a level to work towards; I always do best when shooting for the stars :)) .
I'll keep track of my progress in my journal as a raw carnivorous guinea pig. It'll provide both motivation for me and a good reference for those of us similar minded. ;D
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 03:38:36 am »
Inuit had a life that was physically demanding. Fishing, hunting, etc. in the Artic required a very good physical condition and recovery.
Same thing for Indians from the north. They were perfectly adapted to a zerocarb diet.

Yeh man. Some of those guys hunted whales in a canoe. I'll repeat that - whales in a canoe  :o  :)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 03:49:46 am »

Today, there are so few people on zero-carb that I am not surprised that there are no genuine athletes among them!

I know of no decent claims that Indians of the North ate no plant foods. In fact, the opposite is true in that there are plenty of articles showing the opposite , that Native Americans in the North(what is now Canada) ate a variety of plant foods:-

http://www.sicc.sk.ca/saskindian/a75aug3016.htm

As for the Inuit, many scientists prefer to list the Inuit  diet as 96-99% animal food as they do appear to  eat berries in the summer(eating dried berries in winter, too). Then there's the issue of fermented plant-matter in caribou stomachs etc. But aside from that, I'm not disputing that they were completely  crippled and unable to hunt, merely that if the Inuit(on traditional diets) were truly capable of the same kind of athletic performance of carb-consuming athletes , that we would have seen some evidence of this in sports, by this time. The current points made are that anyone on a ZC diet will generally  take longer to recover from physical exercise, which would greatly hamper sport-performance(on the level of an athlete), meaning they couldn't possibly compete with carb-eating athletes on an equal basis.
" Ron Paul.

William

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 07:52:51 am »
I know of no decent claims that Indians of the North ate no plant foods. In fact, the opposite is true in that there are plenty of articles showing the opposite , that Native Americans in the North(what is now Canada) ate a variety of plant foods:-

http://www.sicc.sk.ca/saskindian/a75aug3016.htm

That article refers to Indians of the South.
I saw one mistake, there are probably others.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 05:48:56 pm »

That article refers to Indians of the South.
I saw one mistake, there are probably others.

You're quite wrong. That article specifically mentions Indians in British Columbia and eastern Canada as living off a variety of plant foods - both areas are rather far up North in that Continent, to put it mildly.
" Ron Paul.

William

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 08:58:11 pm »
You're quite wrong. That article specifically mentions Indians in British Columbia and eastern Canada as living off a variety of plant foods - both areas are rather far up North in that Continent, to put it mildly.

Depends upon what you call North.
Fruit trees are southern. Fruit grows in the southern climes of BC and Eastern Canada, also maize, while rabbit starvation due to lack of fat or preserved plants was only reported from the North of what is now Canada.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 06:18:58 pm »
Depends upon what you call North.
Fruit trees are southern. Fruit grows in the southern climes of BC and Eastern Canada, also maize, while rabbit starvation due to lack of fat or preserved plants was only reported from the North of what is now Canada.

Well, your definition of North seems mostly to include only areas in which inuit lived, as opposed to standard American Indians.
" Ron Paul.

William

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 08:19:53 pm »
Well, your definition of North seems mostly to include only areas in which inuit lived, as opposed to standard American Indians.

Inuit lived almost entirely in coastal areas, while carbohydrate-eating Indians lived within a few hundred miles of the present U.S. border. That leaves about 80% for the carnivores.

Offline MartinT

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 06:53:19 am »
I am new here. I am on ZC diet for some 10 months or so. I hunt my own food and I also do extreme cardio exercises (insanity). From my experience I also experienced longer recovery during extreme workout. Not so much on the hunt in mountains. Energy-wise? Plenty of energy.

Offline klowcarb

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 10:50:47 am »
I do weightlifting and cardio 3 days a week on Zero Carb (my 9 month mark is next week). I have so much energy and I eat primarily raw 80/20 ground beef.

I do 1 hour of weights and 15 minutes of intense intervals each session. I am in fantastic shape; 5'4" and 100lbs., lean and muscular.

Offline redfulcrum

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 07:17:04 am »
You don't need to eat carbs at all.  That mighty organ called the liver is in charge for all the carbs you'll ever need.  Just keep sticking to taking in most of your calories from meat.  Over time the liver will churn out more glucose.  After a while, eating meat was like drinking a mountain dew.  It gave me an energy rush. 
Opening Pandora's boxes, one box at a time.

Offline raw meat man

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 04:02:55 pm »
Cardio is not natural. We would only run to escape danger so a sedentary lifestyle is much much more healthy. All the Sedentary fear of getting fat is perpetuated by the weight loss industry!

Its just a big scam. Im a committed ZC follower and Ive put on 36lbs of pure fat in the last few months since eating just pure fat and a bit of protein. ZERO CARBS. Im so committed that I dont even eat oysters anymore or horse meat as it contains too much sugar and can kick you out of a fat burning ketogenic state.

Sugar is an addiction and exercise is they they do to burn off the sugar. Dont exercise and eat more fats and fatty meats and youll feel a heap better. 6 paks and vo2max's are for gym rats! Be proud to have a fat gut and not give a damn!  :P

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 08:03:25 pm »
Raw meat man is a vegan troll. Ignore him.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk