Author Topic: Raw bluegill?  (Read 5178 times)

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Raw bluegill?
« on: June 06, 2012, 03:33:05 am »
What do you guys think about eating raw bluegill? I am thinking about cooking it. Got some fillets from a friend, he caught em himself

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Raw bluegill?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 04:33:50 am »
Warmwater fish carry all sorts of parasites. I'd cook it. Or compost it.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 03:18:02 am »
Ahh ok, thanks for the advice. I will try it cooked or dried at a higher heat. can't let it go to waste!

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 03:53:37 am »
Warmwater fish carry all sorts of parasites. I'd cook it. Or compost it.

Do you believe that these parasites would harm you if you consumed them raw?
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 01:18:22 pm »
@Haai Some people have gotten tape worm form raw fresh water fish. But I guess seagulls and other animals eat them raw.

I did cook it and tried it tonight. It was good. Has different nutrients than my usual grass fed beef. Even though it was cooked, didn't bother me much (noticeably). Cooked it at medium heat. I won't eat it often, but it was pleasant though.

Offline Haai

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 05:27:50 pm »
Some people have gotten tape worm from raw beef or other raw red meats...Tyler for example. I am sure he doesn't cook his red meat now.

Glad you liked it though!
"In the modern, prevailing view of the cosmos, we sit here as tiny, unimportant specks of protoplasm, flukes of nature, and stare out into an almost limitless void. Vast, nameless tracts of emptiness dominate the scene. Talk about feeling small.
But we do not look out at the universe; it is, instead, within us, as a rich 3-D visual experience whose location is the mind" - R. Lanza, Beyond Biocentrism.

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 03:11:02 am »
Some people have gotten tape worm from raw beef or other raw red meats...Tyler for example. I am sure he doesn't cook his red meat now.

Glad you liked it though!
I don't think one can really compare grass fed beef to some raw fish from lakes. I think the risk is higher with the certain raw meats to others. Not all though, depends on what the animal eats, living conditions, health of the animal etc. Also handling of the meat must be taken into consideration.

Like in the amazon, your more likely to catch something from raw piranha than some wild deer there. You know?

CitrusHigh

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 03:52:06 am »
Ahh ok, thanks for the advice. I will try it cooked or dried at a higher heat. can't let it go to waste!

What kind of lake were they caught in, I'd be more concerned about that, than the fish's inner fauna/flora.

They are delicious cooked though, that's for sure, just need a bunch to make a meal unless they're monsters! My mom used to bread them, the one thing she could cook.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk