Author Topic: raw meats  (Read 13271 times)

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
raw meats
« on: July 01, 2012, 06:58:37 am »
So i am planning on starting a raw meat diet, with fruits and veggies (and fats such as coconut oil/olive oil).

My main question is, what are the optimal meats that i should be eating to treat my skin condition (acne/seborrheic dermatitis which may be psoriasis as well)?

I can readily obtain grass fed ground beef (not sure of the fat content), pasture raised eggs (vital farms eggs), extra virgin coconut oil AND olive oil (Cold pressed for olive oil),

I realize that the best meats are the ones with the fattiest fat on it. I have no idea where to begin.

P.S., i also can get a rack of lamb from sams club (Costs 22 dollars). Also wild caught salmon. Would these help in my healing?

Please help me guys. I am very confused

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: raw meats
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 07:17:16 am »
There is no doubt some foods will be superior, but just going raw will solve a lot of things. Be your own judge, in that if it tastes good and it is raw, it will be good for you also. Your taste buds are often the best indicator of what is best for the body.
Cheers
Al

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 07:45:47 am »
You sound like you have exactly the right idea. Since cooking toughens meat, you don't have to spend a lot of $$$ on the tender cuts. Your starter list is fine, and you can hunt around for your favorite sources as you get more experience.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 07:59:04 am »
Typically the fattier cuts are cheaper.

I ALWAYS buy chuck rost beef. It has a lot of fat, and it's the cheapest one I can find.

Here's a link with the leanest and fattiest cuts of beef - http://www.webefit.com/articles_100_199/article_100_beef.html

Wild caught salmon is a great option. Ground beef can be lean. Be careful with the lamb from Sam's Club. It might not be grass fed, and could have been given antibiotics. Make sure you ask a knowledgable associate.

See if any high quality food providers can get you raw fat. I order raw beef fat from grass fed cows for $2.50/lb. I've red of others on the forum getting it even cheaper. It's a great way to get raw fat at a great price.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 08:08:36 am »

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 08:13:52 am »
You can get local grassfed beef in SoCal. Check listings at www.eatwild.com.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 08:22:31 am »
maybe i can order from here

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok

That's a great source. There's also a few other online sites that are good too.

But it's best to get it locally so you can save on shipping, and also since online you'll get frozen meats. It's best to get them unfrozen/fresh.

So, what meats are you considering getting?
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 08:51:35 am »
We find that variety is a very good idea. You'll grow tired of the same old, same old.

Initially we tried ground beef and pork, but the ground part went out of favour.  ;D
Cheers
Al

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 09:01:29 am »
That's a great source. There's also a few other online sites that are good too.

But it's best to get it locally so you can save on shipping, and also since online you'll get frozen meats. It's best to get them unfrozen/fresh.

So, what meats are you considering getting?

to be honest, i have no idea which meats i should be getting.

Like i said, i am mainly going raw paleo to treat my acne/dermatitis. I can get grass fed beef from a farmers market, other cuts of beef as well (which is grass fed).

So far, this is what i can easily and readily obtain:

1) grass fed ground beef (its probably pretty lean though, unfortunately)
2) polish sausage (but it may have some spices added). Also grass fed.
3) grass fed carne asada
4) grass fed chuck eye steak
5) grass fed filet mignon
6)grass fed flank steak
7)grass fed london broil steak
8)All beef sausage
9)pasture raised organic chicken backs
10)pasture raised chicken breast
11)pasture raised organic chicken liver
12)pasture raised organic chicken whole

Which are the best options to choose from? Also, from an acne/dermatitis standpoint, from my understanding, modern foods cause these issues (and my leaky gut which is a result of taking antibiotics for 4-5 months). So in essence, shouldnt stopping eating modern junk heal these conditions? Or is it mainly the fat from animal proteins that would heal it.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2012, 09:24:26 am »
I am guessing a bit here but I would be inclined to try abhyanga...
http://abhyanga-rub-yourself-the-right-way.blogspot.ca/

I might also suggest this thread...
http://www.rawpaleodietforum.com/off-topic/elevating-the-head-of-your-bed/
Cheers
Al

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 10:16:59 am »
We find that variety is a very good idea. You'll grow tired of the same old, same old.

Initially we tried ground beef and pork, but the ground part went out of favour.  ;D

was the ground pork grass fed? or just natural without antibiotics? I cant seem to find grass fed pork

Offline Fermenter Zym

• Bear Hunter
  • microcosm monkey, navigating inner-space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 10:38:19 am »
A fatty cut of Brisket is my favorite. I call it my meat pizza cause the fat looks like cheese on top of meat occasionally.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 12:41:06 pm »
was the ground pork grass fed? or just natural without antibiotics? I cant seem to find grass fed pork

Pigs don't have a natural diet of grass the way that beef, bison, etc., do.

While on the subject, poultry do not eat a diet that is primarily grass or grain. They eat bugs. Some sellers use the terms "organic" and "pasture-raised" to make it sound like the livestock is being fed correctly for its species. For example, "pastured" beef can mean that the pasture has been strewn with grain-fodder and potatoes... so the animal is not eating much grass. You get to decide how picky you need to be.

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 01:01:32 pm »
i get what you are saying.

So if it is grass-fed beef (100%) i am assuming that the cows only ate grass and there natural feed? Or are they sometimes grain finished?

I can purchase pasture raised chickens though. The hard part is finding ones full of fat AND pasture raised

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 01:01:51 pm »
Pigs don't have a natural diet of grass the way that beef, bison, etc., do.

While on the subject, poultry do not eat a diet that is primarily grass or grain. They eat bugs. Some sellers use the terms "organic" and "pasture-raised" to make it sound like the livestock is being fed correctly for its species. For example, "pastured" beef can mean that the pasture has been strewn with grain-fodder and potatoes... so the animal is not eating much grass. You get to decide how picky you need to be.
What should i be looking for when purchasing pork then?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 01:14:43 pm »
So if it is grass-fed beef (100%) i am assuming that the cows only ate grass and there natural feed? Or are they sometimes grain finished?

For beef and bison: if it says "grass-fed" it means no supplemental grains. The meat will look lean and not marbled (fat streaks throughout the muscle), and the fat will be faintly yellow. A butcher can show you the difference in appearance.

I can purchase pasture raised chickens though. The hard part is finding ones full of fat AND pasture raised

For chicken: they really don't get "full" of fat. The fat is in the skin.

What should i be looking for when purchasing pork then?

For pork: someone else can answer this. I don't buy or eat pork.

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 01:33:26 pm »
Butchers dont seem to know shit from what my experiences

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 06:28:07 pm »
I had a butcher tell me all beef are grass fed. He really did not know what grain finished meant.
Cheers
Al

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 02:01:05 am »
I had a butcher tell me all beef are grass fed. He really did not know what grain finished meant.

exactly

Offline gc

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 06:19:38 am »
exactly

My experience too. Very sad.

To this day I have NEVER seen the yellow fat. Apparently "grass fed" also includes "grass fed and grain finished." Finishing matters.
insert signature here

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 08:40:55 am »
My experience too. Very sad.

To this day I have NEVER seen the yellow fat. Apparently "grass fed" also includes "grass fed and grain finished." Finishing matters.

exactly, so how am i supposed to know which is 100 % grass fed.. which is not. It is almost impossible to follow a healthy diet in todays day and age. To be honest, i have been so stressed about following diets (i have tried quite a few) that i have been breaking out a lot on my shoulders. Dont know what to do

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 09:30:09 am »
i am not sure it is always true that the fat is more yellow, i know milk tends to be more yellow hence yellow cream and butter, but i have seen fatty cuts of meat i know for a fact was grass fed and finished because i know the farmers and it was creamy white, not yellow

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 11:23:17 am »
The back fat on my grassfed beef (Humboldt Grassfed Beef Company) is yellowish, a soft yellow. When placed next to a piece of grain-fed beef, the contrast is obvious. The other obvious visual difference is the marbling in the muscle - none in grassfed beef, lots in grain-fed beef.

I found my butcher by looking up the grassfed beef ranches and then finding out where they sell their retail cuts. Many ranches sell frozen meat, which I avoid whenever possible. There are several grassfed cattle ranches in California for you to start with. The internet makes searching much easier.

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2012, 02:37:48 pm »
another way to know if the cows are 100% grassfed, when u  make high meat. I buy 100% grassfed beef from wholefood market and rott them. I also buy 100% grassfed beef from a small local farmer and rott them. Both high meats has significant taste different at the end. So any commercially organic grassfed beef would be grass fed , but grain finished. Seeing those grass fed   beef from wholefood, almost looks the same from those very small farmer's beef, but the difference is the taste and quality.
bugs or country chickens

CitrusHigh

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 02:26:28 am »
The fat you had gc was 100% grass fed, susie doesn't buy anything less as far as I know. Fat is absolutely NOT always yellow just because it's grass fed. I've had experience with 100% grass fed beef over all of the americas from canada to argentina and the color and texture and taste varies intensely! It is not even slightly accurate to say that grass fed is even usually yellow. If the animal digests beta carotene efficiently you will get white milk even if on the lushest grass year round. eg. holesteins.  This is pertinent to milk and bodyfat alike.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk