Author Topic: Natural Disaster?  (Read 3590 times)

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
Natural Disaster?
« on: July 01, 2012, 11:16:26 pm »
Natural disaster hit my area.  Had no power for 2 1/2 days.  Kept stuff on ice best as i could but frozen atlantic caught salmon thawed out.  Probably 10-12 filets.  I don't think refreeze is a good option.  They are in the fridge currently.  I'll probably eat a few sashimi style in the next few days but no way i will eat all of them.  Any ideas?  Best i got is that my brother eats cooked salmon a lot cooked in skillet.  I'm thinking about just grilling/baking most of them and then freezing them so he can just reheat later.

-Joe

Offline djr_81

• Hakuna Matata
  • Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Natural Disaster?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 01:06:19 am »
Set up racks and a fan. With this summer heat it should dry easily.
https://www.facebook.com/djr1981
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 02:12:23 am »
And thats safe to eat for how long?

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 02:15:59 am »
where do you live? whats the humidity? i have let my salmon turn to chewy jerky in the fridge by placing in uncovered on a rack and letting it dry out, i am sure that you can do the same thing with a fan outside of the fridge if you dont have flies.  basically the outside gets hard/chewy/dry and the inside is like salmon candy, ive had it after over a week, no ill effects and very tasty.  also look into how they brine salmon with salt, perhaps you can cure them that way

CitrusHigh

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 02:29:33 am »
Dude, you want salmon cakes for sure! I just bought some mackerel from the asian grocer recently. The meat was delicious but very mushy because of their freezing method. So I made them in to mackerel cakes which capitalizes on the fish's soft flesh and turns them in to a delicious treat!

Jessica's suggestion was awesome and I second that. And what I'm proposing is pretty close. Just blend up the meat with spices and salt if you want, and then form them in to patties. These can then be seared quickly and refrozen or you can skip the searing, doesn't matter that you're refreezing because salmon is supposed to be a little mushy in salmon cakes. Just google a good recipe to get ideas for spices then either leave it raw or only sear it and refreeze. Refreezing is better than cooking a food any day of the week, even though it negatively impacts texture.

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 02:42:41 am »
Its anywhere from 80-100 degrees out right now.  Somewhat high humidity.  I guess I'm still new with the raw meat stuff and not sure how to "cure" it right so that it preserves and doesn't turn into something rotten.  The jerky sounds really appealing though.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 03:26:51 am »
Its anywhere from 80-100 degrees out right now.  Somewhat high humidity.  I guess I'm still new with the raw meat stuff and not sure how to "cure" it right so that it preserves and doesn't turn into something rotten.  The jerky sounds really appealing though.
Surely, you can't have something against "high-meat"?
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 06:01:25 am »
as long as your fridge is dry and clean just set it on a rack uncovered, skin side down, and let it dry out a bit, really it will only get funky if you dont let it have air circulation, so if its in packaging right now take it out

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 02:58:39 pm »
Nothing against high-meat, just haven't learned much about it as of yet.  I think the jerky will work just fine.  I have been wanting to start road-tripping soon here and need to find more healthy foods that travel well anyway.  Thanks guys.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk