Author Topic: how to not throw up eating calf's liver  (Read 6014 times)

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
how to not throw up eating calf's liver
« on: July 17, 2012, 05:04:32 am »
Hey everyone.

I'm having a lot of trouble getting calf's liver down. I almost throw up on every bite.

I tried what I do with high meat. I eat it with water..

Any other tips?
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
Re: how to not throw up eating calf's liver
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 05:55:22 am »
Maybe you got a bad liver.
I would throw that away and shop around for better tasting livers.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 06:30:38 am »
Maybe you got a bad liver.
I would throw that away and shop around for better tasting livers.

I don't think that's it. It's grass fed/milk fed from grass fed cows.

I always have this problem, the past 10 times I've bought it. So I'm sure it's not bad liver. I think liver is just nasty tasting lol
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 07:28:19 am »
I can eat lamb/chicken liver but not beef/calf liver. No need to analyze it, I just buy the kind I like.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 07:40:18 am »
grass fed may be true,
even if the cow was healthy,
if the food disagrees with my taste buds I don't eat it.

The fact that your body throws up is a clear sign that that food item is not for you.

try another supplier, another farm or some other animal as eveheart does.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 07:44:49 am »
I can eat lamb/chicken liver but not beef/calf liver. No need to analyze it, I just buy the kind I like.

Good thinking.

@goodsamaritan I feel good after eating liver. It just makes me wanna throw up.

But I'll try other animals livers.

Offline mhikl

• Egg Thief
  • Know History, not just your folklore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 10:03:43 am »
DBoss, raw beef liver (not calf)  was the raw food I started with. I figured if I could get that down, anything else  would be a song. I slivered it and did the water drink. That was wretched as the water carried the smell and flavour to every molecule of my body.

Then I tried the following: The liver was slightly frozen and easy to cut so I cut it into double match stick widths, single wide, about an inch in length. I patted off the blood and moisture. I then gave it a splash of Vietnamese fish sauce, Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar (or try Japanese vinegar), garlic chilli (or pepper). I now prefer the Japanese vinegar over the sweetness of Bragg's concoction. I now seem to be liking my food less sweet and far less salty. I'm working towards salt free in most of my meals.

Do not look at it before you eat it. This is the only food I now eat with a fork. Think pickles because that was the texture to me, so slight in crunch. This is now my favourite way of eating raw liver. Also, lamb's liver seems to be milder but I have been told that it is not as nutritious. Don't know about that.

(I loved cooked liver all my life so I didn't come to this with as much prejudice as liver haters might.) If you like sesame oil, the dark flavoured kind used in Chinese cooking, a drop of that might also be worth a try.
• When I find time to rewrite the laws of physics there will finally be some changes made round here.
• The stupid are cocksure; the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell
• However the dice be tossed, we are ultimately responsible for our own death, unless that preverbal piano hammers us on the head.

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 06:24:04 pm »
Here is what I do at the moment.

Use a nutribullet or similar blender/mixer.

A general recipe might be:
-beef liver
-tomato
-garlic clove
-optional green onions
-optional cucumber

These really help me get it down and I keep using less and less ingredients to mix with.  Had a piece of the sashimi yesterday, it was fine.

Offline intrigued

• Deer Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 03:31:58 am »
I had my first raw beef liver a few weeks ago and didn't really end up having any trouble, but I had been looking some stuff up on this just in case.  I saw a youtube of someone showing how to eat raw liver without gagging, and they cut it into small chunks, held their nose, wolfed it down quick and I chased with what I think was lemon water.  Maybe you could try that?  There may have been vinegar or something else involved, but I'm thinking the lemon was what cut it.  If you go on youtube and look for how to eat raw liver and not throw up, you should find it.  There was a lot of talking you might want to skip through.

GS - I think there's definitely a difference between experienced eaters such as yourself and people just warming up to the idea and trying some new things.  There's an oft-quoted thread here for people just starting and how to "get used to" eating raw meat for a reason.  Even though someone thinks something may be good for them, even if they actually can SEE that it works for them when eating it (like here), doesn't mean they'll like it right away.  This seems like a combination of social conditioning and possibly just the body's wariness of change.

If I was having trouble I'd probably just spike it with some standard spices (salt, pepper, garlic, onion, whatever).  It's not something you want to go overboard with, and it certainly is "fooling" your senses, so you'll probably be able to achieve better health without it, but if it gets healthy food in your gut for now, I vote do it.

Offline mhikl

• Egg Thief
  • Know History, not just your folklore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 12:54:01 pm »
Another possibility, Joe, is to make liver pâté. My first adventure was quite runny. I have some very dry beef gelatine I make from beef bones but I don't' want to eat anything cooked just yet so I don't' have a tested recipe yet.
• When I find time to rewrite the laws of physics there will finally be some changes made round here.
• The stupid are cocksure; the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell
• However the dice be tossed, we are ultimately responsible for our own death, unless that preverbal piano hammers us on the head.

Offline Chris

• Warrior
  • Each journey starts with a step
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 02:55:47 pm »
Hey Joe, what's the lowdown on the nutribullet? How's that working out for you? Does it work as good as they say on those infomercials?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk