Author Topic: The downside of raw paleo, tiredness?  (Read 34222 times)

Offline Charlie4444

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
    • http://www.healthylevelup.com
The downside of raw paleo, tiredness?
« on: July 26, 2012, 12:37:25 pm »
I've come across a common thing amongst many posts here and it's that everyone is still tired all the time.  I notice a lot of homebodies, lots of sleeping, lots of apathy, very cool calm people, but lacking the sort of get up and go out there spirit.  But, people have huge success in curing skin, digestive, bodily, and mental problems.

I want to continue raw paleo especially because it builds my legs, butt, and waste, and a much healthier looking spine.  However, the downside is that it seems to diminish my bone strength and make my forearms really skinny.  And the big downside is that it makes me very tired, anti social, and less spirited to do activities. 

Anyone have this same experience? 

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
Re: The downside of raw paleo, tiredness?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 09:11:01 pm »
Add in some carbs man.  Some of us (me) do better with carbs.  Fruits, steamed veggies, etc.  We all have different genetics.  Try plant fats or animal fats.  Mix it up.  Some cultures have been eating veggies for a long time.  My ancestors ate a lot of plants and animals.

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 10:20:20 pm »
I've come across a common thing amongst many posts here and it's that everyone is still tired all the time.  I notice a lot of homebodies, lots of sleeping, lots of apathy, very cool calm people, but lacking the sort of get up and go out there spirit.  But, people have huge success in curing skin, digestive, bodily, and mental problems.

I want to continue raw paleo especially because it builds my legs, butt, and waste, and a much healthier looking spine.  However, the downside is that it seems to diminish my bone strength and make my forearms really skinny.  And the big downside is that it makes me very tired, anti social, and less spirited to do activities. 

Your experience and mine are like night & day. I'm very active, with a calm, steady, positive demeanor. I certainly wouldn't call myself lazy or apathetic. Like I've said in some of your other threads, I think you have a lot going on besides just poor diet, so you shouldn't expect to cure all of your ills by just eating differently. And I have no idea what you're actually eating in terms of macronutrient ratios, nutrition and quality of food, so you might have improvements to make in that realm too.

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 12:20:03 am »
It is undeniable that athletes perform better with carbs, you could just be needing some healthy carbs in your diet, I know I do!

Offline Charlie4444

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 03:34:44 am »
Well, what I really wanted to know is raw meat making people too tired, or is it just me?  It could be just me.  But since I don't know anyone in person who eats like I do, I have to come here and find what people's experiences are to know if I'm crazy or not.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 04:18:28 am »
We generally only experience tiredness in the transitioning to a raw diet as the body detoxes and also afterwards, when we make the mistake of eating something non-rawpalaeo as that requires further detox. Other than that, almost all of us feel far less tired than on a cooked diet. Are you sure this isn't just hypochondria/orthorexia?
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 05:42:21 am »

really?... i haven't... have you seen the exercise and bodybuilding sections?  there are amazing people here!

not i  ;)

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 06:56:26 am »
Maybe you're doing something wrong. Like others have said maybe you need more carbs. I imagine a very low carb diet would have me dragging.

Maybe you're detoxing so your bodies beat. When I first started I remember sleeping a lot. Not really during the day. But I'd get a lot more than the average 6-8 hours of sleep.

What's your diet like? Specifics please.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 07:18:52 am »
I feel much more tired on SMD and less tired on RPD so far.
For me I think I need heaps more exercise to feel more energised. When I was eating a healthy modern diet and doing heaps of exercise I felt heaps of energy, which had many benefits including great lovemaking endurance  l)   Now I have been lazy and do little exercise I feel more tired (though much better RPD than SMD). So I need to find ways to get heaps more exercise.

What exercise are you getting Charlie?

Also personally I don't see the point of these 'exclusive carnivore' diets of mostly meat. I like to eat lots of fruit and coloured vegetables as well as meat, fat, & fish (still working on the offal).

Do you eat lots of fruit & wet plant matter Charlie?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 07:29:26 am »
My experience with RPD has been energizing. I wake up alert and stay alert all day.

For reference, my food intake is ultra-high raw fat from many sources, moderately low protein from meats and fish, and ultra-low carbs. If you are eating a muscle meat diet, you might need to add fat and salt, and maybe you need other minerals. On occasion, I have cooked foods from these macronutrient categories, but I never let protein or carbs predominate.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline Charlie4444

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 09:07:36 am »
Well, it's an easy fix for me by just not eating raw meat.  I want to go out and do things, am socialable, and do better with ladies, even though my sex drive is lower.  But now going back to cooked paleo, my spine is starting to curve back in the wrong direction like before, my shoulders are raised again and not down and held back, and my lower body is losing strength.  It's a catch 22 with raw meat for me for some reason.  It does such wonderful things for my body, but sort of makes me a bum mentally. 

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 09:18:18 am »
what kind of meat are you eating? sounds like you have hormonal problems, maybe get those tested

CitrusHigh

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2012, 09:20:02 am »
Hey, you're supposed to be in the forest looking out for bears!! Hope you've had safe travels girly!

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2012, 11:22:11 am »
Actually, I have a great deal of energy.  That's been true for a long time, though.  Ever since I got off grains and overly-cooked food, many years ago, I've had plenty of energy. 

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2012, 12:55:17 pm »
What else is different between your cooked and raw diets, other than the cooking?

Offline Charlie4444

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 12:58:02 pm »
What else is different between your cooked and raw diets, other than the cooking?

^I've already explained it.

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 04:03:12 pm »
Well, it's an easy fix for me by just not eating raw meat.  I want to go out and do things, am socialable, and do better with ladies, even though my sex drive is lower.  But now going back to cooked paleo, my spine is starting to curve back in the wrong direction like before, my shoulders are raised again and not down and held back, and my lower body is losing strength.  It's a catch 22 with raw meat for me for some reason.  It does such wonderful things for my body, but sort of makes me a bum mentally. 

Do naked suntanning and cold baths / icebaths, as much as you can!!! - it will boost your testosteron big time.
Eat more seafood. Shellfish (oysters!!!), wildcaught fish.. as much as you can. Eat ALL. Skin, liver, heads all.
Go to sleep early. Avoid artificial lights / computer / TV late night.

You will be amazed at how different you will feel. :-)

(I do all this myself and can hardly save me from men... UH.. I love my libido these days.. funny thing I am still single because hard to find soulmates these days. Most men seems very deficient in testosteron. Not appealing to me at all -[)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:08:59 pm by Inger »

Offline papangue

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 04:51:05 pm »

Eat more seafood. Shellfish (oysters!!!), wildcaught fish.. as much as you can. Eat ALL. Skin, liver, heads all.

do you think we should eat them even if it taste bad?

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 05:10:22 pm »

I regularly force myself to eat calf liver for the power house of nutrients. Same with highh meat. They taste horrible but the benefits are worth it.

If you're a newbie you might want to stick to the more appealing muscle meats though.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline Inger

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 07:15:18 pm »

Yes Nicolas, I do.
I do not care a s**t anymore what something tastes like, since I figured out taste is habits and what we are used to. Just take a look at different cultures and what they eat. It tells all. I eat what I know is good for me, if needed, I hold my nose/breath. I do that when choking down my raw mackerel-head-smoothies. Tastes terrible to me, who cares? They makes me feel just great! I did it when eating raw elk lungs too in the beginning but now I do not mind the taste anymore. High meat tastes OK to me, no need to hold breath then. Taste changes. Raw liver might taste awful first time, but all of a sudden you will love it. To not loose the enjoyment of life, that I appreciate very much, I always give myself something delicious after stuff like mackerel-head-smoothies. Something healthy and delicious that I enjoy. Because I enjoy so much of my food very much, I do not mind eating yucky stuff now and then.

For me the feeling I get from my food is much more worth than taste after all.
I just came back from a week long visit by my brothers house in Sweden and food was suboptimal. Delicious yes, but optimal not. I cannot tell how much I missed my regular food and habits! So happy to be home now and having the abilities to do and eat what I appreciate so much!

(a side note... my parents, 3 brothers and my brothers wife all have tried the raw mackerel-head-smoothie because I told them it is sooo great for the brain.. and that without even holding their breath!!! And they eat normal food! Imagine.. they thought it was not that bad at all.. Daddy said, he wants one every day.. haha...)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 07:22:57 pm by Inger »

Busgrw

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 07:28:08 pm »
Hi Inger, any chance of a recipe for your raw mackerel-head-smoothie. Would love to try it.  :P

Yes Nicolas, I do.
I do not care a s**t anymore what something tastes like, since I figured out taste is habits and what we are used to. Just take a look at different cultures and what they eat. It tells all. I eat what I know is good for me, if needed, I hold my nose/breath. I do that when choking down my raw mackerel-head-smoothies. Tastes terrible to me, who cares? They makes me feel just great! I did it when eating raw elk lungs too in the beginning but now I do not mind the taste anymore. High meat tastes OK to me, no need to hold breath then. Taste changes. Raw liver might taste awful first time, but all of a sudden you will love it. To not loose the enjoyment of life, that I appreciate very much, I always give myself something delicious after stuff like mackerel-head-smoothies. Something healthy and delicious that I enjoy. Because I enjoy so much of my food very much, I do not mind eating yucky stuff now and then.

For me the feeling I get from my food is much more worth than taste after all.
I just came back from a week long visit by my brothers house in Sweden and food was suboptimal. Delicious yes, but optimal not. I cannot tell how much I missed my regular food and habits! So happy to be home now and having the abilities to do and eat what I appreciate so much!

(a side note... my parents, 3 brothers and my brothers wife all have tried the raw mackerel-head-smoothie because I told them it is sooo great for the brain.. and that without even holding their breath!!! And they eat normal food! Imagine.. they thought it was not that bad at all.. Daddy said, he wants one every day.. haha...)

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 08:00:10 pm »
(I do all this myself and can hardly save me from men... UH.. I love my libido these days.. funny thing I am still single because hard to find soulmates these days. Most men seems very deficient in testosteron. Not appealing to me at all -[)

You probably need someone very athletic.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Projectile Vomit

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 09:04:58 pm »
...funny thing I am still single because hard to find soulmates these days. Most men seems very deficient in testosteron. Not appealing to me at all -[)

I'm sad you live across the pond Inger. We're about the same age, I think we'd get along quite well!

Offline Inger

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 09:17:24 pm »
Hi Inger, any chance of a recipe for your raw mackerel-head-smoothie. Would love to try it.  :P

Here.  ;)
Take raw fresh mackerelheads, cut one head into maybe 6 pieces with skissors, directly into your blender / mixer. Add water to get nice consistence, that you can drink it. Mix until smooth. Enjoy.  ;D

Busgrw

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 09:26:06 pm »
Here.  ;)
Take raw fresh mackerelheads, cut one head into maybe 6 pieces with skissors, directly into your blender / mixer. Add water to get nice consistence, that you can drink it. Mix until smooth. Enjoy.  ;D

And here was me hoping there would be some magic ingredient to take the 'edge' off :) Cheers Inger. Will try it out soon.........

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk