Author Topic: EMF meter  (Read 8786 times)

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
EMF meter
« on: July 31, 2012, 04:48:51 pm »
anyone know the details on these? they range in price from around $50 to $275. anyone know what accounts for the price difference? thank you!

Offline Dorothy

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: EMF meter
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 02:29:51 am »
Here are some links that hopefully will help us to figure it out ionna:

From wiki:
An EMF meter is a scientific instrument for measuring electromagnetic fields (abbreviated as EMF). Most meters measure the electromagnetic radiation flux density (DC fields) or the change in an electromagnetic field over time (AC fields), essentially the same as a radio antenna, but with quite different detection characteristics.
The two largest categories are single axis and tri-axis. Single axis meters are cheaper than a tri-axis meters, but take longer to complete a survey because the meter only measures one dimension of the field. Single axis instruments have to be tilted and turned on all three axes to obtain a full measurement. A tri-axis meter measures all three axes simultaneously, but these models tend to be more expensive.
Electromagnetic fields can be generated by AC or DC currents. An EMF meter can measure AC electromagnetic fields, which are usually emitted from man-made sources such as electrical wiring, while gaussmeters or magnetometers measure DC fields, which occur naturally in Earth's geomagnetic field and are emitted from other sources where direct current is present.

An example of an EMF meter.
[edit]Sensitivity
As most electromagnetic fields encountered in everyday situation are those generated by household or industrial appliances, the majority of EMF meters available are calibrated to measure 50 and 60 Hz alternating fields (the frequency of US and European mains electricity). There are other meters which can measure fields alternating at as low as 20 Hz, however these tend to be much more expensive and are only used for specific research purposes.

From http://www.emfcenter.com/emffaqs.htm#B17. What particular test meters are best:

B12. Are there different kinds of EMFs?

Yes, there are three basic kinds of EMF.  Magnetic fields are the EMF component most often linked to serious health effects in the scientific research literature (e.g., between power lines and childhood leukemia).  They are emitted from power lines, building wiring, lights, appliances, and virtually everything that runs on regular electricity.

Electric fields make up the other half of the "electro"magnetic fields emitted from power lines, wiring, lights and appliances.  They are also related to certain biological effects, and anecdotally, electric fields are often involved when people knowingly feel discomfort or “symptoms” from electrical sources.

Finally, Radio frequency or “RF” includes the higher frequency fields and microwaves emitted by cell towers and cell phones, cordless phones, TV/radio broadcast towers, Wi-Fi and other wireless computer devices, microwave ovens, and various electronics.  (The electric and magnetic parts of RF fields are not separated, so you only need one meter to detect the RF field.)

B13. How are the different kinds of EMFs measured?

Each of the three kinds of EMFs requires a different type of test meter.  Magnetic fields are usually measured in units called milligauss (mG) with special instruments called "gaussmeters."  Electric fields are detected by either measuring the volts (V) on a person's skin with a "body voltage tester" or the volts per meter (V/M) with a standard "electric field tester."   RF/microwave fields require a special test meter that can detect a wide range of RF frequencies, especially the digital microwaves, in units of microwatts per centimeter squared (?W/cm²).

B14. What levels are considered safe?

There is great controversy about what levels are safe, so you will have to make your own decision.  For magnetic fields, the lowest level linked to childhood cancer in the power line studies is 2.0 milligauss (mG).  The average in homes around the country is probably around 0.5 mG, with dense urban areas like San Francisco probably averaging closer to 1.0 mG.  In our consulting work, we try to reduce long-term exposures to well below the levels linked with disease in the research studies, so we generally try to reduce magnetic field exposures to 0.5 mG or less.

Electric fields in homes are typically around 0.5 to 2.0 volts (V) using a body voltage meter.  We usually use a cautionary level of 1.0 V for living areas, and 0.5 V for sleeping locations.  Anecdotally, very sensitive individuals usually need to reduce electric fields below 0.1 V to feel relief of symptoms.  RF/microwaves in the home vary greatly, usually depending on the use of cell phones, cordless phones, wireless and Wi-Fi.  Average levels vary from 0.01 to 0.5 microwatts per centimeter squared (?W/cm²).  We generally use a precautionary level of 0.1 ?W/cm² as suggested by the Bioinitiative Report, and 0.001 or less for sensitive individuals.

B15. Are all test meters the same?

No.  A triple-axis meter allows you to simply hold the test meter in any orientation, and get a full, accurate three-dimensional reading.  A single-axis meter requires you to move the meter around in all possible directions to find the highest field strength, or take three readings in orthogonal directions and do a math calculation.  In practice, most people will get much more accurate readings with a triple-axis meter, because it is so easy to miss the strongest direction with a single-axis meter and underestimate the true field strength.

For magnetic fields, we usually recommend a gaussmeter that can detect both ELF and VLF frequency ranges.  ELF includes the 60 Hz frequency from power lines, wiring, refrigerators, transformers, lights, appliances and everything that runs on regular electrical power.  VLF includes higher frequencies in the range of 10,000 Hz and more that often come from televisions, computers, fluorescent lights, compact fluorescent bulbs, and other electronics.  For RF/microwaves, it is also important to use a meter which can measure a wide range of frequencies.  For example, the 5.8 GHz frequency of some cordless phones is not detected by many RF meters.

Ghost hunters seem to give the basic information the best:

http://io9.com/5875212/meet-the-emf-meter-the-little-tool-that-ghost-hunters-swear-by

http://www.modernageparanormal.com/kb/emf_meters.asp

http://www.ghostgadgets.com/_knowledge/emfexplained.html

http://home.comcast.net/~parainvestigator/Articles/EMFbasices.html

Looks like you can buy an app if you have an iphone too:
http://lunaticoutpost.com/Topic-Do-the-emf-detector-apps-on-smart-phones-really-work

I'm going to post this just not to lose it but do more research for you ionna and post again.

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 06:15:42 am »
thank you so much dorothy!!

i've been reading and doing some homework too. i can't believe it's an app for the iPhone!, lol... i don't have one though... i resist technology as much as i possibly can... as i sit here typing on my macbook  -X

ok so the price range is due to single vs triple axis, got it. and now i learned about an acoustimeter that is the most expensive of these gadgets... but i don't understand why yet... more homework  ???

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 06:35:06 am »
OK so which meter is a useful meter?

I know people who use them to check out the RF from wifi and smart meters etc. My computer has a program that tells me the signal strength of wifis in range of it. A freebie 'istumbler' Some days the wifi from the neighbours is up to 75% or more.

You can actually do things to cut down on RF.  Things like shielding and grounding devices like smart meters I am told.

May sound like a joke to some but I am aware of a lot of people who get serious headaches etc from Smart Meters. It is especially bad for young girls. Cell phones are bad also. Have been linked to sterility and cancer etc.

Dowsing is a very effective method of ferreting out stray junk electrical frequency pollution.

Ionna,
If your house is set up for wifi guess what you're doing?

If your laptop is sitting on your legs, guess what you are doing?

Heat destroys reproductive capacity because the reproductive organs are extremely delicate. Ayurveda says that the materials used for the sexual organs (Shukra) derived from digestion are the second most delicate and difficult to create, easy to destroy. That's why a man's testicles draw into the body when it is cold outside, and go back out when it is warm - temperature control.
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 09:29:22 pm »
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 09:29:57 pm »
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 09:30:30 pm »
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 12:06:54 am »
Cheers
Al

Offline raw

• Mammoth Hunter
  • country chickens and lambs and wild bugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 03:54:11 pm »
Oh! thank u Raw-Al. Recently I stopped using my cordless phone and replace it with old fashioned cord phone
bugs or country chickens

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 02:06:58 am »
I use a headset. Much easier on the neck and shoulders. I think it's the Jensen. Available @ Best Buy.
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 01:31:47 pm »
If this doesn't convince you about cells/wifi and portable teles, you need help...

RESONANCE - BEINGS OF FREQUENCY on Vimeo
Cheers
Al

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 02:05:33 pm »
I say, if your diet/lifestyle don't make you robust enough to easily withstand the effects of weak EMF, you're doing it wrong.

I used to be so sensitive to everything back when I was vegetarian/vegan.  Now I just power on through things.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 02:21:30 am »
The difficulty is that the results don't show up for a long time, but once they get to the threshold, it is too bad so sad.

I do not live under the illusion that a raw paleo diet will make me into Superman or make me impervious to problems.

The thing is that things affect everyone and it is only a matter of percentage. If these devices knock a few percentages off of you, it builds up over time.

Years ago I used to have a hydroponic garden. I lived in a northern area and fresh food was not great. I read a lot about the theory of why they grow so quickly and have such abundant  results. Essentially hydroponics just removes all of the stressors and gives exactly the necessary nutrition to the plants so they grow quickly. They do not have to fight their way through the soil to get water/nutrition, they don't have to fight disease, gaseous mixtures are exactly their preference etc.

By introducing unnecessary stressors from your environment like extraneous RF, plastics, GMO's, meat filled with drugs of various kinds as well as corn fed beef, CO and a wide variety of other things that were not part of the world us humans evolved through you take a few percentage points off of your health. They all add up.

Basically RF just produces heat which is like sitting inside a microwave oven on a very low power setting.

One of the first things that a pilot learns is to never have the RADAR unit on once on the ground. This is because it was discovered back when RADAR units were first put in aircraft that the ground crew cold feel a tingling sensation in their genitalia. It essentially was sterilizing them.
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 03:26:11 am »
I was gifted an old iPhone 3 by a relative who upgraded. I'm not using it as a phone, just as an Apps device

I got 2 free apps that measure RF/EMF.

When I bring it up to the base of the wifi, the numbers go right through the roof.

iEMF+
EMF Meter
Cheers
Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk