Author Topic: Newbie Frugivore Weighing His Options  (Read 3360 times)

Offline nichiphantom

• Forager
    • View Profile
Newbie Frugivore Weighing His Options
« on: August 15, 2012, 11:16:54 am »
Hey, everyone. I'm Jamie. I'm currently a fruitarian with ulcerative colitis. I'm interested in learning more about this diet. It's very interesting to me, the whole fat as one's main calorie source instead of carbs thing. I do have a lot questions. I'll start with: How do you go about insuring your raw meat is safe? Also, how do you get enough calories from fat? And finally, does anyone have a digestive disease like IBD and needs to keep their meat consumption low to moderate to avoid constipation? I've ordered
The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf, so that will give me some answers, I'm sure. I don't know how much raw meat stuff is covered there.

CitrusHigh

Re: Newbie Frugivore Weighing His Options
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 11:39:12 am »
Welcome! Read the newbie section and run some searches using your keywords, then after you've read a bit we can help you a bit. It's all about balance and fulfilling your body's needs. Even if we can't explain the mechanism we can figure which foods support you and which foods are detrimental, but you will have to be doing the experimenting since it's different for everyone. Good luck and glad you found your way here!

Offline nichiphantom

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 11:54:15 am »
Thanks, Thoth!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 01:16:16 pm »
Raw meat is safe as long as you don't eat raw, grainfed meats or store your raw meats for a long time in an unaerated environment. Fat is only important on an all-raw-animal-food diet. Eating a few carbs avoids this issue.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 09:05:10 pm »
Welcome!

Raw meat is typically pretty safe if you do it right. Antibiotic, hormone free. Grass fed if its beef, buffalo, or lamb. Pastured organic for chicken and pork.

One way a lot of us get plenty of animal fats in our systems is through suet (raw beef fat). I order it from a farm for $2.50/lb. You might be able to contact a local butcher, or find an online retailer.

You said you have IBD, so I'm going to make a suggestion. There's a diet called the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which only allows certain carbs. I'd eat a high fat raw paleo diet and only eat legal raw scd carbs. Check out the specific carbohydrate diet.

Good luck!
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 12:08:23 am »
I think they're referring to the paleo book by wolff. There is certainly lots of info here!

Offline RomanK

• Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 12:40:23 am »
I have learned from a lot of sites (pro-paleo) that paleo diet is very popular for rebuilding of GI tract and A LOT of people try it for very broad range of autoimmune problems including IBD (actually nearly all AI deceases come from GI).
After frutarian way the transition should be pretty easy (I doubt that U were on this way for 10+ yrs) with some supplements to restart the needed enzymes. (HCl for one).
Re safety of raw meat, it is not the question to this community (99% raw eater), it could be problematic but as any other food of "normal" life.
Good luck.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk