Author Topic: New Wrangham book  (Read 5663 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
New Wrangham book
« on: May 13, 2009, 09:56:44 pm »
I was asked, a few months ago by Wrangham's PR or literary agent, to review Wrangham's new anti-raw book when it comes out, as I'd already debunked Wrangham in 1 essay. I'll do that in early June on rawpaleodiet.com(as long as it doesn't just rehash the old material he's churned out, previously). I'll post an update when it comes out.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 06:52:49 am by TylerDurden »
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: New Wrangham book
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 06:07:41 am »
His book is anti-cooking? How did you debunk his essay before? Was that also anti-cooking?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 04:19:48 pm »
His book is anti-cooking? How did you debunk his essay before? Was that also anti-cooking?

I debunked his earlier theories in this thread, a while back:-

http://old.rawpaleodiet.com/advent-of-cooking-article/

The good thing about Wrangham's ideas is that most palaeoanthropologists heavily criticise his beliefs. Wrangham's claims re tubers or the ludicrous notion that raw-meat-eaters would have to chew raw meats for at least 5.7 to 6.2 hours a day in order to get enough calories have all combined to make him a laughing-stock.

"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 03:20:55 am »
I can see why someone would call him laughing-stock, I'm only through chapter one of his book 'Catching Fire' today and it is beyond absurd. It's not even worth rebutting except to show easily impressionable/thoughtless people how easy it must be to get a PhD these days! lol

The idea that we couldn't eat raw meat because it is 'tough to chew' or any number of the other absurdities that litter his writing make it almost painful to listen to.

Not much of a challenge to debunk though, is there someone out there with some decent arguments for cooking?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:44:25 am by Thoth »

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 05:40:25 am »
The glaring hole in his book is that the increase in peoples brain size happened 2 MILLION YEARS BEFORE fire & cooking became widespread!

"The European evidence strongly suggests that the habitual and controlled use of fire was a late phenomenon," Villa and Roebroeks conclude. The findings controversially suggest that people migrated from Africa to the below-freezing winter temperatures of Europe without fire. These early hominins might have combined a high-protein diet with a highly active lifestyle to survive, the researchers speculate. "
Source: New Scientist

Even this is still wrong - it is really a HIGH FAT diet that allowed survival!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:38:14 am by alive »

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 06:21:34 am »
I was asked, a few months ago by Wrangham's PR or literary agent, to review Wrangham's new anti-cooking ...
Wrangham anti-cooking?  :o Do you perhaps mean anti-raw or did he do a 180?

If he's still anti-raw, let me know if he uses the new idiotic term "coctivore." I could use a good laugh.  ;D

And if his latest book is still anti-raw I may buy it--I need some kindling for the fireplace.  ;)
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 06:59:12 am »
Wrangham anti-cooking?  :o Do you perhaps mean anti-raw or did he do a 180?

If he's still anti-raw, let me know if he uses the new idiotic term "coctivore." I could use a good laugh.  ;D

And if his latest book is still anti-raw I may buy it--I need some kindling for the fireplace.  ;)
OK OK, so even I make mistakes occasionally. I am, sadly, only human rather than the posthuman I would prefer to be. But, at least I make far fewer spelling and grammatical errors than most other members on this forum. I have corrected the error just now.

The trouble with Wrangham is that, despite the lies and lack of facts involved in his research(to the point of ridicule), there are still some people who worship him like a god.
" Ron Paul.

CitrusHigh

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 07:47:12 am »
The glaring hole in his book is that the increase in peoples brain size happened 2 MILLION YEARS BEFORE fire & cooking became widespread!

"The European evidence strongly suggests that the habitual and controlled use of fire was a late phenomenon," Villa and Roebroeks conclude. The findings controversially suggest that people migrated from Africa to the below-freezing winter temperatures of Europe without fire. These early hominins might have combined a high-protein diet with a highly active lifestyle to survive, the researchers speculate. "
Source: New Scientist

Even this is still wrong - it is really a HIGH FAT diet that allowed survival!

Thanks for that morsel to chew on  Alive, always good stuff coming from you, really appreciate it!

Just got through chapter 2 and in to 3 and it ain't getting any better folks! ha!

Offline PaleoPhil

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Mad scientist (not into blind Paleo re-enactment)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 07:49:49 am »
The trouble with Wrangham is that, despite the lies and lack of facts involved in his research(to the point of ridicule), there are still some people who worship him like a god.
Of course, because he gives people an excuse to keep eating the cooked stuff they love. Most folks seek out that which supports their existing views and preferences.
>"When some one eats an Epi paleo Rx template and follows the rules of circadian biology they get plenty of starches when they are available three out of the four seasons." -Jack Kruse, MD
>"I recommend 20 percent of calories from carbs, depending on the size of the person" -Ron Rosedale, MD (in other words, NOT zero carbs) http://preview.tinyurl.com/6ogtan
>Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong. -Tim Steele
Beware of problems from chronic Very Low Carb

Offline Alive

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 08:24:07 am »
I've been visualising a video sequence starting zoomed in on this books title, then lighting the petrol and watching it explode and "catching fire", then upload to youtube & RPDF.... but I can't find this book, which was given to me by my wife, and which I even believed for a while - I must have just thrown it in the rubbish to stop it perpetuating its lies (like the 'holy bible' my in laws gave me : ).

I have also been wondering what to do with my old raw vegan books - maybe I'll add my own text to the book promoting RPD and then give them to the book exchange!

CitrusHigh

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 08:33:28 am »
lol, wow that is inspired! As soon as you wrote that about burning wrangam's refuse, I thought of printing up a picture of the photo and attaching it to a spare bible to burn in the video, lol, guess we think alike!

Like the idea of adding RPD ideas to the raw vegan books, how confused would those people be! "How to select the best raw liver" ROFL!!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 08:40:54 am by Thoth »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk