Author Topic: Individualist Anarchist SF  (Read 1884 times)

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Individualist Anarchist SF
« on: September 19, 2012, 09:03:21 am »
There used to be some book thread, but can't remember where it is. I just thought I ought to recommend some old SF I started rereading which sort of depict an ideal individualist anarchist future. I'm thinking specifically of "The Moon Moth" by Jack Vance, a brilliant short story as well as William Tenn's short story "Winthrop was stubborn". Jack Vance has also written other SF such as the Magnus Ridolph stories and William Tenn has also written other great stuff such as "Firewater" and "Time in Advance" and "Of Men and Monsters".
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: Individualist Anarchist SF etc.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 09:05:25 am »
I would also highly recommend Max Stirner's work "The Ego and Its Own". It can be a bit unreadable at times, and is not SF, of course, but Stirner  has a better reputation than Ayn Rand. It's the Individualist Anarchist Bible, so to speak.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Brad462

• Shaman
    • View Profile
Re: Individualist Anarchist SF
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 09:14:40 am »
Fellow anarchist checking in... ;)

I have never heard of Max before, thanks for the recommendation.  At the moment I am reading Statism and Anarchy by Bakunin.
I'm actually a really nice guy, once you get to blow me.

— Anthony Jeselnik

Offline Brad462

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 01:33:51 pm »
Doesn't your worship of science run contrary to the anarchist ideal?  In order to be free men we must reject all authority - including science.  Worship of science leads to dangerous forms of social engineering.  Knowledge or perceived knowledge always is used to gain power.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 05:23:59 pm by Brad462 »
I'm actually a really nice guy, once you get to blow me.

— Anthony Jeselnik

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 07:01:54 pm »
Doesn't your worship of science run contrary to the anarchist ideal?  In order to be free men we must reject all authority - including science.  Worship of science leads to dangerous forms of social engineering.  Knowledge or perceived knowledge always is used to gain power.
Science can also be heavily anarchistic.
" Ron Paul.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk