Author Topic: Raw Oysters  (Read 10401 times)

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Raw Oysters
« on: November 27, 2008, 01:32:23 pm »
Might be a dumb question, but are you supposed to eat the brown creamy stuff inside of Pacific oysters?  I don't think I've ever seen it in Atlantic or Gulf of Mexico oysters.  The jar (no preservatives, just oysters and water) said something about edible portion in the serving size info, but not much else.  I just ate 1/2 a pound, whole w/o cleaning out that stuff.  Hopefully it's not gonna kill me. 
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline Carnál

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Re: Raw Oysters
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 03:11:33 pm »
Might be a dumb question, but are you supposed to eat the brown creamy stuff inside of Pacific oysters?  I don't think I've ever seen it in Atlantic or Gulf of Mexico oysters.  The jar (no preservatives, just oysters and water) said something about edible portion in the serving size info, but not much else.  I just ate 1/2 a pound, whole w/o cleaning out that stuff.  Hopefully it's not gonna kill me. 

Those are pasteurized, aren't they?

Offline Guittarman03

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 01:43:02 am »
Good question.  I don't think so, b/c the jar says "raw edible portion."  Also I got on their website and it doesn't say anything about being pasteurized.  It says they are shucked, packaged, and shipped at 45 degrees F usually all on the same day.  The company is Ekone Oysters, at Willapa Bay.  www.ekoneoysters.com.  Still not sure if it's good to eat the insides.
When you consume an organism it loses individuality, but its biological life never ends.  Digestion is merely a transfer of its life to mine.

Offline Carnál

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 01:59:04 am »
Good question.  I don't think so, b/c the jar says "raw edible portion."  Also I got on their website and it doesn't say anything about being pasteurized.  It says they are shucked, packaged, and shipped at 45 degrees F usually all on the same day.  The company is Ekone Oysters, at Willapa Bay.  www.ekoneoysters.com.  Still not sure if it's good to eat the insides.

I don't know about Vegas, but where I live products like that are pasteurized.  It looks like yours are probably not.  By the way, your link didn't work.  Maybe you want to edit it, or you can get to their site from clicking your cursor here.  I would eat the whole thing.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 09:25:56 am »
hey, i've had raw oysters before and like em alot. but i want to start eating them more often. living in central texas isnt the best place for finding fresh oysters. does anyone get oysters from whole foods? i've found that whole foods has pretty much the same sources of fish regardless of where the store is. i mean i live somewhat near the gulf but i dont know if i want to eat a filter feeder from those tar-filled waters...

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 09:44:48 am »
Just bought live oysters yesterday.
Absolutely delicious in the shell.
Much better than the bagged oysters I usually get.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Josh

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 06:43:37 pm »
There was some brown/cream stuff inside one of the oysters I got the other day. It seemed to be silt, so I chucked the oyster.

Not sure if you can eat it or not though.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
How to Open Live Oysters
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 11:54:08 am »
http://www.myhealthblog.org/2009/09/05/how-to-open-live-oysters/

How to open live oysters

Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 8:03 pm Posted in General Health, Nutrition, Parenting, Resources 0 Comments

Hah. Now I know how to open live oysters. My son’s request for live oysters paid off. 2 days ago we got live oysters and my cousin tried grilling them to open. I observed that it was hot stuff, hard stuff and it was cooking the oysters… not good… very bad technique.

After our first experiment with live oysters from Farmers Market my son asked me if I got a tummy ache, were the oysters safe? No, no tummy ache, oysters are safe to eat. This time I went to market and asked the market man to let me taste an oyster. He demonstrated and taught me how to open live oysters:

1. Use your small knife and chip away at the edge of an oyster exposing its gap, opening.
   2. Use your small knife and jam it in and twist it to open the oyster.

Very very easy!

How to eat the live oyster.

You can leave it in the half shell and serve, some are still alive, you can see them moving.

You can slurp the half shell with your mouth like kissing it to suck at the juices and eventually eat the flesh of the oyster.

Oysters are very filling this way.  The bagged oysters have something lost in them.

You can also get a slice of lemon or calamansi and squeeze it on an oyster to disinfect it if you fear bacteria.

You can also use authentic vinegar like our sukang tuba (vinegar from coconuts) as the oysters can be dipped in for a minute and it will be “cooked” or disinfected by the vinegar.

Do not use those commercial fake manufactured vinegars.

http://www.myhealthblog.org/2009/09/05/how-to-open-live-oysters/
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 06:40:19 pm »
Hi GS, please post that info on how to open raw oysters in the culinary creations/recipes forum(and make it a sticky topic). I'd thought I'd already posted re this but it wasn't in that forum, seemingly, so your contribution would be useful. I'll, later on, add another post to yours describing how to deal with live crabs, live mussels and live lobsters.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

William

Re: How to Open Live Oysters
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 09:34:21 pm »

You can leave it in the half shell and serve, some are still alive, you can see them moving.

I don't remember seeing one move, but you know that it is alive and therefore fit to eat because they fight to keep the shell closed. If it opens easily, it's dead - don't eat it.

Oyster supply is seasonal where I live, and always in the shell. Only available in the months with an r in them, supposedly because warm water oysters can be diseased here.

Offline yon yonson

• Global Moderator
  • Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 02:32:55 am »
so i just went to an oyster bar for my dad's birthday. had a dozen raw oysters from the gulf of mexico... i felt fine for a few hours after eating them. then things got interesting. projectile vomit, diarrhea, etc. big fun. i felt fine after getting everything out of there and feel fine this morning. it's the first time i've thrown up after eating raw animal food. not sure what it was exactly. apparently the gulf is pretty polluted...

anyways, this isn't supposed to discourage people from eating oysters, i most definitely will keep eating them, but just be careful of your sources i guess. i could tell after i ate the first one that they didn't taste nearly as palatable as the ones i've gotten from washington or the east coast
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 02:39:26 am by yon yonson »

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 06:36:53 am »
    I should have told you, if I'd known you were about to eat it, that gulf seafood can be dangerous.  It's the only seafood that I ever got sick after (to my recollection) and I have a friend who gulf seafood is the only flesh that's ever made sick (it was very sick by the way).  The gulf DOES have bad pollution. 

As an aside, I have thrown up from (raw) bivalves before, but I wouldn't call it sick what happened before.  I just threw up water (hadn't drank any) and felt fine after (and before).

The only thing that made me projectile vomit was adrenals.  Actually it happened twice with adrenals.  I still think I need them, but have to get straight how to take them first.  I had eaten them plain.  Maybe I need to mix them with something?

"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

William

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 06:57:34 am »
   The gulf DOES have bad pollution. 

Seen from the Yucatan in 1983, the Caribbean is the usual beautiful clear blue of tropic sea, while on the other side of the peninsula, the Gulf water was milky.

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 07:19:38 am »
Seen from the Yucatan in 1983, the Caribbean is the usual beautiful clear blue of tropic sea, while on the other side of the peninsula, the Gulf water was milky.

Thank you.  I have heard that one part is particularly bad.  I'm just going to avoid it for now.  I don't like to get sick.
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk