Author Topic: elevated cholesterol  (Read 7080 times)

Offline jimmyruss

• Forager
    • View Profile
elevated cholesterol
« on: October 20, 2012, 05:40:36 pm »
I have been on the paleo diet about 18 months and my recent lab results show high total cholesterol of 294. The last lab work was 264, 6 months before. The other results were also out of range and I will not get too  detailed with the numbers thing but needless to say, I was very disappointed....thinking my health was all fixed for life without meds. I am pretty strict on the diet except 2 or 3 hard drinks, 3 times a week (on average) daily dairy (cheese, cream in my coffee, etc). Am I going to have to go really a lot stricter with this to at least get this lab work going in the other direction? I exercise 3 or 4 days a week (bike 8 plus miles/day), very low stress and a very positive disposition. I have lost 40 lbs since I've been on the diet then for the last few months...it just stopped. Now I have been reducing my calories to get my weight down another 20 lbs. Am I being too concerned with these number or should I just not be? Are there others that have been through this and any advice to give me by someone out there?    thanks, jim
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 07:12:12 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline Johan August

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
Re: elevated cholesterol
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 06:21:53 pm »
It is difficult to know if the total cholesterol is bad news or not. What you really need to know are your numbers for HDL and triglycerides, your HDL needs to go up and your triglycerides down. The trouble is that the total cholesterol figure does not give you an analysis of what type of LDL is pushing up the total figure. LDL from fat is good, LDL from refined carbs, including sugar and sucrose is bad. If you have cut down on refined carbs but eaten a lot of fat I would not worry. I also have elevated total cholesterol but as I do not eat much in the way of harmful carbs but I do eat a lot of fat I do not worry about the total figure. If you are worried have a test for triglycerides and HDL.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 07:45:53 pm »
I am pretty strict on the diet except 2 or 3 hard drinks, 3 times a week (on average) daily dairy (cheese, cream in my coffee, etc).

Hi Jim,
You have daily dairy, drink coffee, hard drinks and you nevertheless call it a "paleo diet"?  :o
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 09:14:22 pm »
Jim,

Glad to see you are making progress. You say paleo, but just to be clear, is that raw paleo?

Is the dairy raw? Even if it is raw it may not be appropriate for you. Depends on the person.
Cheers
Al

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 09:22:33 pm »
Hi Jim,
You have daily dairy, drink coffee, hard drinks and you nevertheless call it a "paleo diet"?  :o

^^^^^^^
What Iguana said!!!

You can go on a 3 day organic apple fast.

You can do coffee enemas.

You can do various liver flushes.  Such as http://www.curemanual.com/detox-protocols-and-treatments/liver-gall-bladder-flush/andreas-moritz-gall-bladder-liver-flush/

Repeat that liver flush every 2 weeks for 5 to 10x.

Guaranteed your cholesterol level will be lower.

Plus you have to eat a RAW paleo diet.  Note RAW paleo diet.

Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 11:21:34 pm »
The other results were also out of range and I will not get too  detailed with the numbers thing but needless to say, I was very disappointed...

I'm not the expert on lab work, but I know that high cholesterol can be associated with other lab abnormalities, such as high TSH. What were your other results, and why are you focusing on the cholesterol number alone?

I am pretty strict on the diet except 2 or 3 hard drinks, 3 times a week (on average) daily dairy (cheese, cream in my coffee, etc). Am I going to have to go really a lot stricter

I don't think of RPD as strict at all. Part of the paleo idea is that our ancestors didn't eat a strict regimen, but rather an unprocessed one, and thereby prevented many of the illnesses that our processed diets bring today
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 11:58:40 pm »
I don't think of RPD as strict at all. Part of the paleo idea is that our ancestors didn't eat a strict regimen, but rather an unprocessed one, and thereby prevented many of the illnesses that our processed diets bring today
Nice way of putting it. We have to wean ourselves off of cooking. It's an addiction that I believe is at the root of a lot if not most illnesses.

Not everyone is willing to make the leap. Problem is like all addictions, we all hang out with other addicts LOL so it is hard to give it up.
Cheers
Al

Offline jimmyruss

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 07:41:20 am »
my trig was 135 (up from82 9/11). hdlc 48  (same on 9/11) ldl   219 (199 on 9/11) chol/hdl 6.1 (5.6 9/11)non hdl 246 (215 on 9/11)

Offline Polyvore

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 10:12:22 am »
We still don't know if you are eating raw or cooked paleo, raw fat is different to cooked!

Maybe you should limit the cream and milk unless it is fermented (sourcream/sourmilk).

Maybe you should stick to monosat fats for a while, some people respond better to mono over saturated: olive oil, avocado, macadamia. Also grass fed fat is higher in monosat and o3 than grain fed fat, so if you have not changed over to raw grass fed beef then you are not doing things right yet.

Also, I find its important to increase soluble fiber if you want to help clear out old cholesterol carrying toxins and plaque. Have one meal a day that is very high in soluble fiber, a few hours apart from the other meals and this should help your cholesterol. Chicory, chia, psyllium, grapefruit, orka, even grasses and barks, the more variety and the fresher the better. Just because paleo ate a lot of meat doesn't mean you should be avoiding plants and fruits, just avoid plants and fruits that are low in fiber. I aim for 40-60g fiber a day, but you should start low and build up to that over a 2 week period. Don't meat or fat with the soluble fiber foodstuffs, it doesn't digest well, eat it on it's own. Soured dairy actaully helps digest the soluble fiber, so you can pair soured dairy with high sol fiber foods.

Offline jimmyruss

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 01:07:51 pm »
I eat cooked. give more examples of mono fats and foods that are high in fiber. also examples of ferm. dairy please.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 04:24:46 am »
I eat cooked. give more examples of mono fats and foods that are high in fiber. also examples of ferm. dairy please.

You could go RAW paleo for a few months so you can experience for yourself the big difference with cooked paleo.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 03:53:29 am »
Total cholesterol means absolutely nothing.  If your ratio is good then I would not worry about it.

Butter and cream are known to raise cholesterol numbers.  If you are too concern limit butter and cream and test in a few months to see if it makes a difference.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk