Author Topic: BIson/ELK?  (Read 7307 times)

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
BIson/ELK?
« on: October 15, 2012, 07:08:34 am »
Hey guys,

Meat eating is increasing a little bit seeing as winter is coming.  Stocking up on good quality meat for the season.  Found a local supplier of grass fed/finished buffalo and elk meat.  Mainly got ground meats, livers from the bison, some stew meats, roasts, etc.  Only a few steaks as they were extremely pricey.  All the stuff has been frozen but is fresh otherwise.  Do we think it is safe to eat raw/rare?  I haven't been on here for a while and I would like to increase the meats over the winter without overcooking stuff or taking unnecessary risks.  I also want to contact the guy again if he has stuff like bone marrow and other organs.  I know that elk and bison are both very lean and I am wondering how that will sit with me.  As for now my fat sources include raw butter, raw olives/olive oil, raw coconut oil, some dehydrated nuts every now and then, and some crock pot meals.  I want to find a source for ground lamb as that is a meat that really agrees with me and can be eaten very rare as well but is a bit fattier.  Ideas?

-Joe

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: BIson/ELK?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 03:31:53 pm »
Of course, it's safe to eat raw.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 08:34:24 pm »
I've eaten number of whitetails all raw.  I think Elk is much cleaner than whitetails.

Offline jessica

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 10:59:23 pm »
ask for the heart as well.  although the meat is lean it may come with a huge bunch of fat attached to it.  elk and bison are amazing raw.  i ate white tail deer liver and blood fresh and hot from the animal last month, it was intense.  if you are worried then just freeze it for a few weeks.  even at that it should taste better then store bought.

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 06:40:59 pm »
Ok new update.  Im going to call the guy tomorrow and ask about bone marrow and fats, etc.  It appears fresh but when i opened up the package yesterday for the liver it was cut up into maybe 6 pieces for the pound and folded in on itself.  A small percentage of the meat inside was brown/faded.  Smelled a little odd.  Not all pure red like the beef liver I get from my trusted farmer here.  What do you think it means?  Safe?

Offline Chris

• Warrior
  • Each journey starts with a step
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 04:18:44 pm »
Hey guys,
 Do we think it is safe to eat raw/rare? 
-Joe

Joe,
I thought you ate raw meats like the rest of us? Hey, it's OK! I've been eating exclusively RAW meat for over 5 months now, and I'm still kicking. Don't be afraid of it bro. If you need any encouragement or advice PM me. To everybody else out there, eating RAW is SAFE! Just make sure you trust and follow your instincts! Know and trust your sources! I eat ALL of my meats RAW. Not rare, or God forbid cooked. Don't be afraid. We have been programed to the Dangers of eating raw meat. It's all Bogus! If you want your health back, than make the change. If not, than don't waste your time on this site because we can't help you. You need a little faith people! You must believe and practice what you preach. If it's Raw or Not! Joe, take the step. You know you want too, that's why you're here on this website. Eating raw meat should not be a FEAR! Take it from me.

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 12:21:49 am »
I have eaten all kind of old and fresh raw meats for many years and never had a issue..
Elk and other meats. I am not afraid. But for sure everyone must know the risks. I guess the only risk so far I take in account is Botulism. But I never had an issue so far even if eating vacuum packaged raw meat that was packed airtight for months and months..
I am aware of it though. Makes me take the meat out of the package quite soon and air it (sometimes I am lazy and leave it in the package for a week.. shame on me.

If I am unsure of something I just taste a tiny bit and wait until next morning and if all is well I eat more of it with good appetite.

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 12:43:54 am »
That's strange, Inger. When I store vacuum-packed raw meats for more than 10 days, I usually find, over time, that the taste thereof is  absolutely foul. I don't mean in a natural "high-meat" sort of way, but in an unnatural, vomit-inducing way. As a result, I try to air my meats as much as possible, when not in the freezer.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Inger

• Chief
  • 38 yo Norwegian RVAF s.-06, 90% carniv.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 01:32:29 am »
Yeah.. you are right Tyler. I absolutely prefer non vacuum packaged meat. But I still have not gotten ill from the vacuum packaged either. But you are right about the foul taste. It does  go better when airing for days and weeks, at least in my experience. How do you handle that or do you never buy packaged meats Tyler?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 02:10:45 am by TylerDurden »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 02:12:12 am »
I now buy my raw meats in one or two packages. I doubt they are vacuum-packed, and I finish them all in a week before buying the next lot. I think I tried , ages ago, airing previously unaerated  vacuum-packed raw meats, but didn't like the result.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:07:50 pm by TylerDurden »
" Ron Paul.

Offline Barefoot Instincto

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 10:08:56 am »
If you want your health back, than make the change. If not, than don't waste your time on this site because we can't help you. You need a little faith people! You must believe and practice what you preach. If it's Raw or Not! Joe, take the step. You know you want too, that's why you're here on this website. Eating raw meat should not be a FEAR! Take it from me.

I don't believe this is true. Just because I cook my meats on extremely low heat BUT eat all of my veggies and fruits raw, and try my best to stick to the paleo way of living doesn't mean this site can't help me. For a time I ate my raw meats often, without fear. That fear is still no longer there. For that time this site helped me, and now that I have my meats this way, and aren't as committed as others, doesn't mean this site also can't still help me and many others.

With that said, I agree with you. Raw meats are definitely a more healthy choice. I just feel that for me, at least right now, I like my meats cooked, albeit very gently. We're all at different stages in some way or another, and are content that way. If we're not content, then we move on up!

Offline joej627

• Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Optimized Individuals
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 06:46:37 pm »
I agree.  There is just so much more to health than we think.  I just don't buy into the 100% raw thing and I know some will disagree with that.  Too many ancient cultures that have been in tune with their environment, spirit, etc have cooked some of their food.  Keep in mind nothing was ever fried, etc.  People have shown for instance that baked sweet potatoes and other tubers have more vibrational energy than when eaten raw.  When studying long-lived cultures they cook some of the food.  When studying some of the longest lived people on the planet; most of them eat some cooked food.  I personally think that meat and fat is the stuff you really need to be careful with.  Frying anything is terrible and cooked fat just doesn't seem to be good for most people.  I know enough about health to know that when we think WE have it all figured out; we are usually using a limited viewpoint based on our own experiences.  I was just worried about the QUALITY of the elk/bison , I was not afraid of eating raw meat just to clarify.  I have been making the ground elk into soft jerky in the dehydrator and it is delicious. =)

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 07:17:10 pm »
I just feel that for me, at least right now, I like my meats cooked, albeit very gently. We're all at different stages in some way or another, and are content that way. If we're not content, then we move on up!

That's the first time I hear of someone systematically eating cooked meat and nevertheless calling himself "instincto"!  ???
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 07:38:38 pm »
That's the first time I hear of someone systematically eating cooked meat and nevertheless calling himself "instincto"!  ???

;D  ;D  ;D
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 12:35:51 am »
ask for the heart as well.  although the meat is lean it may come with a huge bunch of fat attached to it.  elk and bison are amazing raw.  i ate white tail deer liver and blood fresh and hot from the animal last month, it was intense.  if you are worried then just freeze it for a few weeks.  even at that it should taste better then store bought.

Jessica I'm so happy for you, I've been hunting too. Primitive bow hunting I'm stalking deer trails, etc, so fun, and exhausting. I will do the same when I get one.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline Adora

• Chief
  • to thine own self be true ... Shakespeare
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 12:41:42 am »
Joe don't buy into what isn't right for YOU. Your integrity is worth more than health. For better or for worse, in sickness and in health, we are accountable/married to ourselves. You can change your mind but it should always be your choice.
know thyself and all of the mysteries of the gods and the universe will be revealed.
Oracle at Delphi

Then began I to thrive, and wisdom to get,
I grew and well I was;
Each word led me on to another word,
Each deed to another deed.
Odin, who chose to be weak and hang form the tree of the world (the universe), to capture the Runes (wisdom), so he (omnipotent) grew...
Each true word and deed leads to my manifestation of the true me.

Offline Barefoot Instincto

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 04:33:12 am »

A name isn't everything, I just thought it sounded nice. I never claimed to actually be "instincto" at any point, and besides, in my opinion I'm still attempting to live an "instincto" life and feel it'll always be the most right path for me. I'm just at a much lower level than some right now. It'll always be an evolving process. My instincts are still awaking. :p Sometimes I get the urge to swallow bits of raw meat, and that seems to be increasing now.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 04:43:09 am by Barefoot Instincto »

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 05:23:32 am »
That's ok, 'instincto" is not a copyrighted name ! The less cooked meat you eat, the more attractive raw and aged meat will be. I mean that to really enjoy raw meat, we need to stop eating cooked meat and perhaps wait till an overload in proteins is absorbed.  ;)
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk