Author Topic: treating alopecia areata  (Read 4760 times)

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
treating alopecia areata
« on: November 09, 2012, 08:54:19 am »
Hey everyone. My brother seems to have a case of alopecia areata.

It's a condition where he lost a piece of hair, with no other symptoms.

"Alopecia areata is an autoimmune disease that causes patches of hair loss. It is common and can occur at any point in life. The hair loss happens quickly and creates round patches of smooth skin with few or no hairs left. It usually happens on the scalp, but can occur anywhere you have hair including the face, arms, legs and even eyebrows. Rarely all the hair can fall out - a condition called alopecia totalis if it occurs on the scalp and alopecia universalis if it involves the entire body.

It's not known what triggers alopecia areata other than that the hair loss is caused by one's immune system attacking the roots of the hairs. Stress might be a trigger for some, but for many people alopecia happens spontaneously - that is, without a known cause."

from - http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/23/how-can-we-treat-my-boyfriends-unusual-balding/

Based on it being the immune system attacking the hair roots, I suggested the hygiene hypothesis. Perhaps the sterile environment has caused his immune system to react to his body. So I suggested fermented foods, possibly raw animal foods.

"To treat this condition it's important to calm the inflammation that is happening under the skin. The best treatment is to inject a small amount of steroid into the area of hair loss to stop the process. Once the inflammation resolves, the hairs grow back. Unfortunately it can take months (even years!) for the new hairs to grow as long as the other hairs that never fell out."

Based on reducing inflamation, I figure what better than a high fat, raw paleo diet (my, Raw-SCD version of course  ;) ). So I prompted him to try the RPD. Any further advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: treating alopecia areata
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 10:24:49 pm »
Vitamin D is often good for helping immune problems.  I'd also suggest fermented foods, for the bacteria, and even high meat or high fish.

Offline zbr5

• Buffalo Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: treating alopecia areata
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 12:30:46 am »
I remember Nora writes a bit about auto-immune diseases in "Primal Body Primal Mind" but would have to check details.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk