Author Topic: Slankers order  (Read 10534 times)

livingthelife

Slankers order
« on: November 29, 2008, 12:08:44 am »
Thank you for the endorsements of Slankers meats. I just placed an order with them:

bison suet
lamb fat
marrow bones
goat heart
goat spleen
ground goat
beef tongue
bison cutlets
turkey breast
boar sausage

Even with shipping, their prices are MUCH LESS than most local farmers' products. We bought 2 tiny little local bison cutlets for $24 / pound last week. I just bought 4# of bison cutlets from Slankers for $24!

Although the prices were much lower, I have limited freezer space right now and so bought only the types of things I can't easily get locally. Ground grass-fed organic beef and ground elk and bison are easy to get here (though I'll bet the elk and bison get some grain).

Never had suet or straight-up fat, so we'll see how that goes.

I bought from USWellness meats once before, and they were very good. Prices a little high sometimes. We really like their jerky for its portability.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Slankers order
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 02:07:02 am »
Slanker's is great isn't it? It's a shame but my local co op is not anywhere near as reliable and doesn't have the variety of animal parts that Slanker's does. I still try to get as much locally as I can.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 12:37:20 am »
A friend who is a member of Geoff's original Yahoo RawPaleoDiet group ordered a turkey and an uncured ham from Slankers for Thanksgiving dinner.  She just sent a note to tell me they were wonderful - the turkey was juicy and full of flavor with plenty of fat, and the ham was top quality also.  My assumption is that these were cooked for family and friends which seems a good way to introduce people to better quality food even if it is cooked.  You have to start somewhere and most of us didn't jump right into raw.

Lex

Offline glennm01

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 05:38:57 pm »
Question for those of you who routinely order from Slanker's or any of the other online grassfed beef sources: Roughly how many pounds of beef should I expect to be able to fit into a standard freezer, assuming there's nothing else in it? And also, how many weeks worth of meat do you guys typically order at a time? Thanks!

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 10:18:08 pm »
Assuming my freezer is standard (it's on top of a refrigerator)
I could probably fit about 75-80 lbs. with nothing else in there. Of course it depends on the cuts you get as well I suppose. Ie. Roasts probably won't stack as nicely as packages of ground beef, etc.

I usually order enough for 3-4 weeks

Offline Squall

• Boar Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 07:40:36 am »
bison suet
lamb fat
marrow bones
goat heart
goat spleen
ground goat
beef tongue
bison cutlets
turkey breast
boar sausage

That boar sausage is delicious! Its about the only thing I actually look forward to eating raw ... which probably means its not good for me :(
The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.

- Bertrand Russell

livingthelife

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 08:54:05 am »
That boar sausage is delicious! Its about the only thing I actually look forward to eating raw ... which probably means its not good for me :(

Oh, don't be so pessimistic! It makes you strong! Roar like a lion!

I'm hoping it will help me overcome my breakfast slump. Should be here tomorrow!

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 10:56:04 am »
Question for those of you who routinely order from Slanker's or any of the other online grassfed beef sources: Roughly how many pounds of beef should I expect to be able to fit into a standard freezer, assuming there's nothing else in it? And also, how many weeks worth of meat do you guys typically order at a time?

I order 65 lbs and at 2 lbs per day this lasts one month.  My order is always the same: 18 two pound chili beef and 18 Dog & cat.  Total cost including shipping is right around $275.  Pretty cheap for a month's worth of food. 

Since I do add a bit of extra fat to my mix I make a separate order of 65 lbs of suet every 6 or 8 months.  I grind all the fat at once when I receive it and then store it in the freezer in 1 gallon ziploc bags.  This makes it easy to measure out what I need when I mix a batch of food.

Lex

Offline glennm01

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 12:03:36 pm »
Um....dog and cat? Sorry if I'm being naive, but...as in dog meat and cat meat?

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 07:00:41 am »
Um....dog and cat? Sorry if I'm being naive, but...as in dog meat and cat meat?

Hehe no he means dog and cat food, as in Slanker's pet food, which is ground beef with organs ground in as well.

Lex, how long did it take you to become accustomed to the taste of the mix? I tried it and am pretty sure that I will not like it for some time, I basically gave up eating it for now and am feeding it to my cat. I'm not a fan of ground stuff in general anyway, so maybe I should just work on eating organs sliced up and then eating sliced meat and chopped suet as well. I just got a grinder and decided I should work towards eating no ground food! Oh well I'll get plenty of use out of it before I switch over, and probably some after.

Offline glennm01

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 05:13:06 pm »
Aha. Thanks for the clarification, Kyle.

When you've got, say, a month's worth of meat in your freezer, what's the right approach for thawing it? Do you move a few days' worth of meat into the fridge and let it thaw there? And then, maybe when you're down to the last day's worth of thawed meat, do you then start thawing another few days' worth? Or is there another approach that makes more sense?

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 09:25:36 pm »
What I do is, at night, I will take what I'm going to eat the next day out of the freezer and put it in the fridge overnight. Then I'll take things out of the fridge and either eat them or wait for them to get to room temp, depends on my mood or how much time I have.
So yeah, day by day works for me.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 01:16:54 am »
Lex, how long did it take you to become accustomed to the taste of the mix?

It was a bit of a trial for me as well.  When I started this adventure I thought I'd just eat D&C so that was the only thing I ordered on my first order from Slankers - no regular muscle meat at all.  The taste was so strong that I just couldn't get it down.  I ended up getting ground beef from the local market and mixing 6 lbs ground beef to one package D&C.  I also added a good bit of garlic powder, salt, and pepper to the mix and was able to eat it that way.

Over about 18 months time I slowly increased the D&C and reduced the ground meat until I reached my current mix which is 1.5 lbs D&C (1 package) to 2 lbs course ground Chili meat (again 1 package).  I can also now eat the D&C straight but still prefer it mixed.  Ground beef alone now tastes very bland so I actually prefer some D&C mixed in.  I also no longer need any seasonings but do add a couple of grams of salt as I tend to get night time leg cramps without it.

Lex

Offline Sully

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 11:24:32 pm »
Why is it that you get cramps?

Can somebody explain this to me a little more?

Offline van

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 12:20:54 am »
  My experience is that I will get cramps 100 percent of the time unless I supplement with magnesium of which I think the low carb version that I eat is deficient in.  I use an ionic form from the Great Salt Lake.  It immediately stops my cramps.  The thought that I do get cramps in my muscles sometimes makes me wonder about getting a cramp in my heart, another muscle.

Offline feral

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 07:56:43 am »
Why is it that you get cramps?

Can somebody explain this to me a little more?

It seems to vary from person to person.  I have a brother in law (not a raw food eater in general) who cramps up if he doesn't eat a banana a day.  On the other hand, banana's never helped me, despite constantly being told be track coaches that they were the cure all for that sort of thing.

After reading up on it, and the 'cures' for different people, I would say it is a mineral deficiency.  Which mineral is something you will have to find out for yourself, assuming that is a problem you experience.  Some varieties of sea salt have helped me in the past, and I know some people on this list sip sea water.  My father gets Himalayan salt, and he swears by that.

And, I remember reading something about the actual biological process involved that cause muscles to cramp, but I can't remember off the top of my head what that was.  It would make sense if it was magnesium though.  Calcium is needed for contraction, and mg for relaxation.  So as with Van, that might be the first place to start looking.

Edit: To stay slightly more on topic, I've been planning to order a 65# plus shipment from Slankers, so that is good news that they are as high quality as they appear to be.

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 09:59:54 am »
It was a bit of a trial for me as well.  When I started this adventure I thought I'd just eat D&C so that was the only thing I ordered on my first order from Slankers - no regular muscle meat at all.  The taste was so strong that I just couldn't get it down.  I ended up getting ground beef from the local market and mixing 6 lbs ground beef to one package D&C.  I also added a good bit of garlic powder, salt, and pepper to the mix and was able to eat it that way.

Over about 18 months time I slowly increased the D&C and reduced the ground meat until I reached my current mix which is 1.5 lbs D&C (1 package) to 2 lbs course ground Chili meat (again 1 package).  I can also now eat the D&C straight but still prefer it mixed.  Ground beef alone now tastes very bland so I actually prefer some D&C mixed in.  I also no longer need any seasonings but do add a couple of grams of salt as I tend to get night time leg cramps without it.

I'm having so much trouble with the concept of going through the taste changes and food withdraw it seems like it's going to take to be able to get used to a nearly all meat diet like yours with the mix. Sometimes I just get this attitude as if life without a satisfying food (as in unhealthy, something I'm craving) is just not worth it.

Lex

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 01:45:57 am »
I'm having so much trouble with the concept of going through the taste changes and food withdraw it seems like it's going to take to be able to get used to a nearly all meat diet like yours with the mix. Sometimes I just get this attitude as if life without a satisfying food (as in unhealthy, something I'm craving) is just not worth it.

Kyle,
I think the issue here is that you are young and your body can tolerate a lot of abuse - dietary as well as physical.  Up until their 40's, most people can get away with eating whatever they want and there is no immediate and obvious benefit to a restricted diet.  We see this same thing with smoking.  A young person feels fine and enjoys smoking and since the degradation of health is so slow they can't see why they should quit.

Once you start experiencing health problems and find that eating a certain way will take away the pain and/or allow you to function at a much higher level again, you'll have much less trouble sticking to the protocol.  This is because when you fall off the wagon the pain returns.

I much prefer Twinkies, Apple pie, Big Mac's, and French Fries to raw meat.  But I'll never go back to these things because of the debilitating health issues they cause me.  I choose to sacrifice eating the foods I love in favor of not having to take pills for high blood pressure, diabetes, and cholesterol, as well as not having killer migraine headaches one or more times per week.  Choosing to forego 20 minutes of pleasure 2 or 3 times per day at meal time is well worth feeling really great for the other 23+ hours per day.

Lex

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 09:51:49 am »
I can definitely see the correlation there Lex, but even most people your age don't have the discipline to give up all unhealthy foods.

In my situation I do usually experience direct negative side effects of eating unhealthy food, but nowhere near what you're talking about. Usually if I eat a good amount of something bad I'll feel either stimulated or drugged, or one then the other. Then I'll usually have digestive problems and an off kind of bowel movement the next day, and if it's really bad sometimes a head ache one or two days later.

The other thing with me is that instead of going to Big Mac's and Twinkies I would prefer to eat something like roasted chicken with vegetables, some kind of soup, sushi and most other Oriental food, stuff that is considerably healthier than a SAD diet. But I can't bring myself to do it because of all of the knowledge I've gained about even the large amount of unhealthy substances in what most people consider healthy, like organic grains or cooked organic/grassfed meat and cooked veggies etc.

The problem I have with my current diet is basically two fold. The one I've talked about before is the disinterest in my food that I have coupled with cravings which are also tied to watching everyone else in my life eat foods much tastier and easier to eat than mine. The second problem is that I want to gain a little weight, and when I did that before lifting weights and eating when I was younger I basically just ate a lot and it worked out well. I thought I was eating healthy but really wasn't, I was just eating a lot of junk (although no candy or other sweets, not a big fan of those over savory foods). Although I have gotten to the point of being able to stomach just about any raw food, I lack the desire and enjoyment of it to consistently eat enough to gain weight.

It's such a hard thing for me, what I want is to have a reasonable amount of desire to eat the food that I believe is healthiest for me; not for it to taste like candy or McDonald's but good enough so that I want to eat it. I'm worried that the kind of desire I have to eat cooked foods I like will never be attained on raw foods, possibly because the desire to eat these cooked foods is tied to addictive substances in them that don't exist in raw foods.

Offline lex_rooker

• Trailblazer
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2008, 11:53:57 am »
kyle,
I wouldn't obsess over any of this.  If the worst sin you are contemplating is eating a roast chicken then eat roast chicken.  I go out to eat several times per month and also have to deal with family and holidays as well.  On those occasions I eat my food cooked and just make the best choices that I can at the time.

One way that I've found works for me is to eat my normal 2 lbs of raw meat for the day and then go to the family dinner and have a bit of roast turkey, ham, or prime rib, a very small serving of salad, and maybe a bit of fruit for desert.  I do this to be polite and also because I enjoy it as well.  I do avoid grains, dairy, soft drinks and other things that would not have been part of a paleo diet, but I really don't think a bit of cooked food will be a major issue - especially if the bulk of what you eat is raw.  The point is, the majority of the food you are eating is for your health and you treat everything else as a small but enjoyable snack.  In my case I pretty much limit my transgressions to the 3 or 4 major family gatherings per year, but at your age and state of reasonably good health I'll bet you'd do very well by making this your norm.

The Pareto Principle comes to mind which is more commonly known as the 80/20 rule.  If I were young and starting over I'd eat 80% of my food as raw grass fed meats with 70% of calories coming from fat.  The other 20% of what I ate would be things that I truly enjoyed - even if it was beer and chocolate chip cookies.  This would be pretty simple to implement and control.  If my calorie budget was 2,500 for a day then 80% (2000 calories) would come from raw grass fed meats and 20% (500 calories) could be anything else I wanted.  No banking of unused free calories.  If you only eat raw paleo foods for the day, at the end of the day the "free" calories expire and the next day you start from zero again.  This keeps you honest and always leaning in the direction of the healthier foods.

Life is short my friend.  The goal is to do as much as you can of what you enjoy while limiting things that could severely impact your long term enjoyment of this precious life we've been given.

Thoughts?

Lex

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 12:47:03 pm »
Hey Lex I was posting a response here and then realized it would make more sense to continue this conversation in my journal as I don't want to further hijack this thread. Please follow me there!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk