Author Topic: Carbohydrate Intake: A Risk Factor for Biliary Sludge and Stones During Pregnanc  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Löwenherz

• Chief
    • View Profile
http://www.ddw.org/wmspage.cfm?parm1=953

Carbohydrate Intake: A Risk Factor for Biliary Sludge and Stones During Pregnancy (Abstract #322)

High consumption of carbohydrates, starches and fructose increases the risk of developing gallstones during pregnancy, according to a new study from the University of Washington (UW).

"Although further clinical studies are now needed, our results suggest that decreasing intake of carbohydrates, starches and fructose during pregnancy may decrease the risk of forming gallstones," said Cynthia Ko, MD, associate professor of medicine.

Researchers found that the risk of gallbladder disease was significantly higher among women in the top 25 percent of total carbohydrate consumption compared with those in the bottom 25 percent, even after accounting for dietary intake of fat and protein. Starch and fructose consumption also indicated a higher risk.

Pregnant women are frequently diagnosed with gallstones, and gallstone-related diseases are the most common non-obstetric cause of hospitalization in the first year after a woman gives birth. With other studies in men and non-pregnant women tying high carbohydrate intake to gallbladder problems, the UW researchers focused on dietary risk factors for the development of gallstones during pregnancy and the incidence of consequent illnesses and surgeries.

Researchers enrolled 3,070 women during their first trimester and followed them until four to six weeks after the birth of their babies. Participants had three ultrasounds done during their pregnancies to look for gallstones and a final test post-partum. In addition, they completed a dietary history at 26 to 28 weeks.

Offline cherimoya_kid

• One who bans trolls
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
I'd say apples might be an exception to the the "no fructose" rule, though.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
I'd say apples might be an exception to the the "no fructose" rule, though.

I agree, apples directly help in ridding the liver of billary sludge.  I can attest to this personally.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk