Author Topic: livingthelife's journal  (Read 20097 times)

livingthelife

Re: livingthelife's journal
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2008, 11:00:39 pm »
So I can catch heat from folks like you!

I don't feed exclusively one "model" or another. She gets much less veg/fruit and much more organ and fat than the BARF model recommends.

I'm getting the message.

Adios!

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2008, 11:06:46 pm »
So I can catch heat from folks like you!

I don't feed exclusively one "model" or another. She gets much less veg/fruit and much more organ and fat than the BARF model recommends.

I'm getting the message.

Adios!

Oh, I wasn't criticising, in this case. I realise that we all have to compromise etc. Even I have to sometimes eat cooked-food for social reasons.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

livingthelife

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2008, 12:07:47 am »
OK, I need to stop being so immature.

However, I've felt a great amount of pressure on this forum to conform to a strictly raw diet, and strictly zero-carb on top of that. Somehow I'm not feeling a lot room for these compromises you mention, and for being not 100% raw paleo, as boxcarguy mentioned.

One reason I want to stay on this forum is to record just how it is that these compromises are struck: what works, and what doesn't. I think I'm probably typical for many people who are sincerely committed to move toward the goals of the forum as stated in the mission statement, and I'm willing to put my experience out there for others to consider.

So if I don't belong here, please say so outright and I'll move on, no hard feelings. Otherwise I'll try not be such a flake.

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2008, 12:34:30 am »
livingthelife, I don't think TylerDurden means any ill-will.
I do think you completely misconstrued his above post about your dog's diet, as I didn't sense any aggressiveness at all in it. Just a question.

As far as the post in the "raw fat" thread...
like you said you are going to have compromises. When you mentioned the chips and that you would not be afraid of them, i think Tyler was, in his own way  ;) , saying that these would in fact be a compromise, not something to eat for seeking health.

We all have our own viewpoints here, and Tyler doesn't speak for the board. Some promote 100% raw, some promote zero carb, and it is best not to let these differences get in the way of the goal of the board as a whole, which you said you were committed to and I agree.

Hope you decide to stick around!

livingthelife

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2008, 01:43:14 am »
Yes, I'm sure you're right. Somehow I thought TylerDurden was attacking me (must have gotten him confused with Brad Pitt). I'm sure he was merely the champion of information, as he usually is. Sorry for being such as beotch.

I'll never get to be a mammoth hunter if I keep deleting my account!

It may seem counterintuitive to feed a dog grains or vegetables and fruit, but she's always liked them. She eats my wheatgrass and vegetables from the garden - likes the tomatoes best - so I had to put up a fence to keep her out. I grind up the vegetables and fruit well, and inoculate them with a little kraut juice or kombucha, then let them sit out at room temp for a day to further break them down.

I noticed she eats her fat first, then her veg mash, then her meats, regardless of what types of those foods I feed her.

livingthelife

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2008, 09:02:38 am »
Since I "came back" to the forum after my unpleasant indigestion of large quantities of RAF, I've been wondering why I re-registered. I know that I wanted to follow up for anyone (probably not those already following the Raw Primal Diet and registered on this forum, but lurkers) who might be able to learn from my mistakes or trials. I also wanted some closure. This was the first time I ever posted my photo on the internet; I feel a link with the community here.

However, since I re-registered, I realize that I am actually not following the raw primal diet, nor do I intend to. I do intend to incorporate as many of the excellent ideas and practices of the raw primal diet as is comfortable for me. I hope to eat as many non-dairy raw animal foods as I find palatable, and I'm making my peace with fat.

Lard-fried potato chips ;) really brought the point home to me that my participation here is somewhat distracting to the Raw Paleo community.

A second issue that has arisen for me is that, before joining this forum, I lived in solitude (which is probably why I have such poor social skills), in a deeply contemplative state most of the time - near samadhi. I had successfully suspended the reflexive mind - that constant awareness and evaluation of oneself. Joining a forum like this requires the use of an avatar (even if that is one's own personality). I am finding that my spiritual life is suffering.

I'm going to leave the forum, and I ask the webmaster to delete my photograph in this journal.

You are all warriors! I've learned a lot from you, and I'm sure I will drop in now and then to peruse the good information and lively discussion that accumulates here.

~ livingthelife ... iwant ~

Offline boxcarguy07

• Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2008, 10:30:00 am »
Godspeed! Wish you the best!

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
update from livingthelife
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 10:21:46 pm »
Hi, I wanted to check in and update my journal for anyone who was interested in the issues I addressing.

For the past few years I've been recovering from some psychological and physiological abnormalities resulting from trauma. I've been learning to live a competent life from the ground up, and care of my physical body has been both a major challenge and an avenue of healing.

I'm now enjoying eating and have satisfaction and improved health. I no longer think about food with any irregularities in attitude. I'm no longer underweight or constipated.

I'm also no longer spending lots of time dealing with food or hygiene. Caring for my body has become a pleasure rather than a chore.

My description of my diet & lifestyle here aren't intended to be a recommendation, and may not suit the raw paleo community, but I'm offering it for anyone's consideration and as a resolution to the thread I started here.

Diet
50% raw plants
16% raw fat
16% meat
16% cooked refined grain
1% medicinals

I drink about 16oz of green-based juice daily, including a generous amount of fresh herbs. The rest I eat whole and plain. I tend to juice what I wouldn't eat plain, such as cabbage, but try to consume a wide variety of plants.

Most of my raw fat is dairy, but I also eat coconut, cod liver oil, olive oil, soaked nuts, and avocado daily. We try to use mostly fermented dairy, such as cheese, kefir, and cultured butter. I try to eat raw liver once a week.

I'm no longer preparing meals or cooking anything, I just stock the frig and people pick out what they want. I don't cook meat at all. We eat either raw meat (mainly fish & oysters), or precooked grass-fed meat (mainly beef) such as organ sausages, sliced roast, or jerky. We also frequently eat raw eggs.

I bake bread with organic unbleached unbromated white flour. I sprinkle in some whole grains, like rolled rye or pinhead oats, for some tooth and a little fiber. I use ghee and water (no milk), mindful of heat stability. The bread is primarily a vehicle for consuming fat, and does provide some quick energy and satisfaction. I've found that white bread is much easier to digest than fibrous breads - doesn't result in constipation or bloating. Using white flour also eliminates the need to soak or ferment the grain. We also do occasionally eat (carefully selected) breakfast cereal, which is more a matter of convenience than health. We also enjoy hot air popcorn with ghee and sea salt a few times a week.

Medicinals are primarily raw: manuka honey & pollen, hot peppers, seaweed, and "bitters" (currently the BH dewormer). And occasionally powdered eggshell. That sort of thing. 

We're drinking distilled spring water remineralized with moist sea salt and "activated" in moonlight. I'm drinking more water than I was before which is helping tremendously - about 32-48oz a day now.

I am still drinking 1 cup of coffee in the morning. I also drink about 1 cup of homemade kombucha a day and frequently have green tea. I also have about 6oz of organic red wine most days, usually with meat.

I'm going into the fitness room daily, even if I only do some stretches or use the inversion table. I'm pushing my body less and loving my body more. When I do work out, about every third day, it feels good - not a trial. I'm still walking a lot and resting more often.

We've all started using the sauna every third day or so and no longer use soap on our skin. Hair is washed with a mild baby shampoo under the tub spout or not at all. Occasionally we'll massage some olive oil (DHC olive virgin oil) and/or essential oil into skin and exfoliate with a warm water and a dishcloth. Otherwise it's only warm water massage for cleaning. Still brushing teeth with baking soda & sea salt & the essential oil blend.

I'm soaking my feet in epsom salts more frequently for detox & relaxation.

Getting more sleep, too.

I really appreciate all the discussions here on the RP forum. The biggest changes in my lifestyle (eating fat & respecting my skin) came from ideas on this board!

Namaste!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 10:28:44 pm by livingthelife »

Offline Raw Kyle

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 02:26:35 am »
I'm glad to see you're doing well. Sometimes I consider going a different route with diet and lifestyle to reduce some of the stress and temptations all around. No matter how much you research and learn in the end you have to go with your heart or things will not work out!

Satya

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 04:44:10 am »
I commend you for sharing your evolving dietary choices with the group.  As a gluten intolerant gal, who no longer has no desire for grain products, I am not so excited reading about bread, hee hee.  But oh, a glass of red wine does go so well with dinner!  And I think it's beautiful that we all can share no matter where we are, or what we are doing. 

So why do you think your sleep has improved?

Best wishes and good to meet you!

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: update from livingthelife
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2009, 10:56:13 pm »
Hello, checking in again with an update.

I'm still doing very well since my last post in February.

Since then, there have been a few adjustments:

I cut out most of the dairy, which wasn't much, but we weren't feeling very well on it. We now eat only small amounts of hard cheese and ghee (both raw organic grass-fed).

I couldn't work the coconut oil into our diets satisfactorily, so we don't use that any more. We're using more olive oil (organic EVOO) instead.

I've increased my raw liver consumption: 1 tsp/day of fermented raw cod liver oil and about 1/2 pound of raw brunsweiger per week.

I'm eating a lot more raw egg yolk. Even the dog doesn't feel well eating raw egg white; I throw away the whites. I'm eating about a dozen egg yolks/week. It's one of the foods that I really crave sometimes (biologically, not psychologically).

I've started eating about 4oz Rejuvenate brand salsa or kimchi daily. The Garden Kimchi contains medicinals such as dandelion and herbs. Making fermented relishes myself was too messy and smelly. The kimchi is another item I crave if I skip a day or so.

We are no longer eating raw oysters or fish from the grocery store. Not fresh enough and too messy. 

Everything else is the same as I previously described.

About twice a week we eat a natural frozen meal, usually Asian or Indian. It satisfies "comfort food" cravings (psychological) and provides variety - most of our meals look like tapas, so eating an "entree" is nice once in while and keeps us out of restaurants.

Best wishes to all of you!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 03:24:09 am by livingthelife »

Offline RawZi

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Need I say more?
    • View Profile
    • my twitter
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2009, 11:30:18 pm »
    Good to see you back :)
"Genuine truth angers people in general because they don't know what to do with the energy generated by a glimpse of reality." Greg W. Goodwin

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: update from livingthelife
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2009, 01:43:42 am »
hard cheese and ghee (both raw organic grass-fed)

Our ghee is organic grass-fed, not raw... ghee isn't raw... my bad

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
raw lunch:
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2009, 09:40:38 pm »
(the cracker is not raw, but has no leavening or vegetable oil)

the brunsweiger is 60 beef / 40 liver

this is a typical lunch or dinner meal for us - small, simple

Offline ys

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2009, 10:34:09 pm »
Interesting how you mix meat with sweet fruits.  I thought sugar suppresses stomach acid, making it weaker.

Offline goodsamaritan

• Administrator
  • Mammoth Hunter
  • Geek Healer Truth Seeker Pro-Natal Pro-Life
    • View Profile
    • Filipino Services Inc.
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2009, 10:42:51 pm »
nice presentation.
I could never make something look that good.
my wife complains that my diet is unappealing because i have no style.
you've got class.
Linux Geek, Web Developer, Email Provider, Businessman, Engineer, REAL Free Healer, Pro-Life, Pro-Family, Truther, Ripple-XRP Fan

I'm the network administrator.
My business: Website Dev & Hosting and Email Server Provider,
My blogs: Cure Manual, My Health Blog, Eczema Cure & Psoriasis Cure

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2009, 10:44:29 pm »
The variety tastes and feels best to me. I've tried to "eat with my brain" and it didn't work.

A little shaved onion on the brun is tasty too!

(Thank you, goodsamaritan! A splash of cab makes everything look better  ;) )

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2009, 09:48:07 pm »
Here's a picture of me 1 year after starting this journal.

The issues I hoped to resolve were:

*dry, "aged," thin skin
*lack of satisfaction & sense of well-being
*digestive problems
*complicated routines of diet & hygiene

I obviously look better and I feel better too (for the most part).

The biggest change over the past year has been some relief from the incredible stress of coping with past trauma. The stress isn't gone but it's much improved.

Second, my diet is greatly improved. When the first photo was taken I was a vegetarian. During the past year I've incorporated many RAF, mostly high-fat high-vitamin foods. I've lowered my dairy and grain consumption.

Third, I have stopped assaulting my skin.

Overall, I think these three changes have supported one another, resulting in an overall improvement in my lifestyle: a more nourishing diet eased my anxiety, the lowered anxiety improved my appetite, my attitude about myself improved, an improved attitude enabled me to practice respectful hygienic practices, etc.

November 2008

November 2009

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 04:15:52 am by livingthelife »

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2009, 08:04:52 am »
don't know what happened to my 2009 pic... try again

November 2009

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2009, 08:55:45 am »
We've cut way back on bread, just enough to accompany a tsp of ghee and a tbsp of raw honey once a day.

We're eating about 90% raw.

I replaced olive oil with marrow so we're eating no vegetable oils any more.

Most muscle meats are raw now too and only tinned fish & some organ meats are cooked.

Everyone is healthy and satisfied and no one has asked for "junk food" in weeks.

I keep a chart on the frig to help with food choices:

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2009, 03:00:52 am »
I'm going to take a break from the forum for awhile. I need extended periods of solitude.

Health and happiness to all!

Offline Ioanna

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2009, 05:07:43 am »
Enjoy LTL!

Be well and we look forward to your return :)

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2009, 12:26:48 am »
Refined guideline:

Only nutritionally dense foods from quality sources, as unprocessed and raw as possible:

50% plant
50% animal
100% variety
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 12:50:57 am by livingthelife »

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2009, 08:14:13 am »
Back into silence

Namaste!

Offline livingthelife

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2009, 09:23:23 am »
I've enjoyed my experience with this journal and I appreciate this forum as a chance to learn and share.

I've always sought wellness in the fullest sense; that includes a healthy attitude about eating and the proper enjoyment of nutritious foods.

So I'm closing this journal about food. It's time to allow eating to be just eating.

My last "diet guideline" is satisfactory for me here in this 21st century life and seems to be a fitting end.  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk