Author Topic: drawbacks of walnuts, macadamia nuts, and black sesame seeds?  (Read 19157 times)

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
drawbacks of walnuts, macadamia nuts, and black sesame seeds?
« on: December 03, 2012, 12:11:02 pm »
Does anyone know if there are drawbacks if one eats a couple ounces of walnuts, macadamia nuts, or black sesame seeds on most days? I know walnuts have an omega 3:6 ratio of 1:4 and macadamia nuts have an omega 3:6 ratio of 1:6. I cannot find  info on black sesame seeds.

This is the fat information for 36 g (1/4 cup) of sesame seeds (not necessarily black sesame seeds)

fat - total 17.88 g        27.51%DV
saturated fat 2.50 g    12.50 %DV
mono fat 6.75 g            28.12% DV
poly fat 7.84 g                32.67% DV

An ounce of sesame seeds contains 0.1 g omega-3.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:30:40 pm by TylerDurden »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
Re: drawbacks of walnuts, macadamia nuts, and black sesame seeds?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 02:33:02 pm »
I get slight pains in the stomach after eating more than a tiny amount of nuts, no doubt due to being sensitive to the antinutrients in them. Soaking the nuts for 24 hours before eating does reduce that feeling, so does seem to reduce those antinutrients somewhat.

Never had this problem with seeds, though.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 04:06:05 pm »
Some of us have frequently and instinctively eaten all kinds of raw nuts for 45 years without noticing any drawback and without caring whatsoever neither for their omega 3 / 6 ratio nor for their so called “antinutrients”. Various raw nuts are have been a common food for most hunters-gatherers and chimps during millions of years.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:41:45 am by Iguana »
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 05:41:04 pm »
I read that most nuts commercially available have been heated as part of the production process.

I cannot confirm this is true.
Cheers
Al

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 07:09:21 pm »
Yes, most of the times they are hot dried, especially when shelled. Thus they can be stored longer and people eat more of them...
Cause and effect are distant in time and space in complex systems, while at the same time there’s a tendency to look for causes near the events sought to be explained. Time delays in feedback in systems result in the condition where the long-run response of a system to an action is often different from its short-run response. — Ronald J. Ziegler

Offline aLptHW4k4y

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 04:35:32 am »
If you buy them unshelled there's no drawbacks to the nuts. The sesame seeds are very high in antinutrients though.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 04:40:48 am »
Yeah, I tested once sesame seeds and didn't like it.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 08:39:33 am »
Black sesame seeds are nice but I'm not sure about eating lots of them. If my meory serves they have lots of calcium...
Cheers
Al

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 11:09:53 am »
Thanks to all for your information and sharing of personal experience

Black sesame seeds are nice but I'm not sure about eating lots of them. If my meory serves they have lots of calcium...

The raw refrigerated black sesame seeds I purchase from Natural Grocers have little calcium according to the  label, unlike white/brown sesame seeds. I wish they contained as much calcium...

Offline Michelle

• Forager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 02:32:55 pm »
I get slight pains in the stomach after eating more than a tiny amount of nuts, no doubt due to being sensitive to the antinutrients in them.

Antinutrients?

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 06:21:03 pm »
Antinutrients?
Yes, nuts contain some antinutrients. Not anywhere  near as much as in grains, but it helps to soak nuts for 24 hours before eating them as that reduces the antinutrients.
"During the last campaign I knew what was happening. You know, they mocked me for my foreign policy and they laughed at my monetary policy. No more. No more.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 10:45:04 am »
Will someone remind me what anti-nutrients in (well-soaked) seeds/nuts will do to a person?

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 03:18:29 pm »
Will someone remind me what anti-nutrients in (well-soaked) seeds/nuts will do to a person?
  http://www.13.waisays.com/plants.htm
" Ron Paul.

Offline Iguana

• Mammoth Hunter
  • Eating tuna fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 04:28:36 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antinutrients
The possibility now exists to eliminate antinutrients entirely using genetic engineering; but, since these compounds may also have beneficial effects, such genetic modifications could make the foods more nutritious but not improve people's health.[7]
So, when ingested in proper amount the so called « antinutrients » can also be usefull…  ;)

This article makes some good points but seems tendentious on other points.

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2012, 11:09:49 am »
Thanks for the articles on anti-nutrients.

What do raw vegans say about anti-nutrients in plant foods? Are there studies that demonstrate how much fermentation or soaking seeds helps with the anti-nutrient problem?

"And fruits and sashimi or fresh raw egg yolk (mixed with avocado) combined, contain all nutrients you need."  Do you agree with this statement?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 11:50:54 am by Joy2012 »

Offline TylerDurden

• Global Moderator
  • Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Raw Paleolithic Diet
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 03:35:28 pm »
This website covers some studies which show that fermentation reduces antinutrient levels:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antinutrient

As for raw seafood plus raw fruits or just raw egg-yolks and raw avocado, that would not work for me, as I've more or less tried them and failed with them. I do need some raw seafood in my diet , but I also need raw meats/organs from land mammals.
" Ron Paul.

Offline Joy2012

• Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 12:43:50 pm »
Thank you, Tyler.

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 11:58:02 pm »
Maybe I misread but that article states that cows can eat grains. They can but it makes them sick such as in the case with corn.
Cheers
Al

Offline raw-al

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 12:01:44 am »
Yes, nuts contain some antinutrients. Not anywhere  near as much as in grains, but it helps to soak nuts for 24 hours before eating them as that reduces the antinutrients.
Thanks Tyler, I wasn't aware. I know that seeds when soaked to be sprouted, very quickly increase their nutrient value to us, to a level much higher than when dormant.

Also if you soak the seeds the peels come off. These peels are an irritant to the gut.
Cheers
Al

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2013, 04:08:21 pm »
where can I purchase 100% raw unheated macadamia nuts??

Offline LifeIsExperience

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 06:42:13 pm »
where can I purchase 100% raw unheated macadamia nuts??

Where are you from? Europe? If so you can order at Orkos.

my english sucks? i am aware of it!

your food doesn't satisfy you? broaden your choice! still not satisfied? simply skip your next meal

Offline eveheart

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2013, 10:59:03 pm »
You can google this query and come up with lots of options. But I want to add this warning, in case you find some and want to buy a lot to minimize postage costs, check your quality first.  I gave up on raw macadamia nuts because they always tasted stale. Hawaii, Australia and Africa were the main sources. I can't say the reason for sure, but my taste buds told me that the nuts had been hanging around in a warehouse for too long. You might find some with a current-year harvest date included.
"I intend to live forever; so far, so good." -Steven Wright, comedian

Offline LifeIsExperience

• Egg Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2013, 01:44:23 am »
You can google this query and come up with lots of options. But I want to add this warning, in case you find some and want to buy a lot to minimize postage costs, check your quality first.  I gave up on raw macadamia nuts because they always tasted stale. Hawaii, Australia and Africa were the main sources. I can't say the reason for sure, but my taste buds told me that the nuts had been hanging around in a warehouse for too long. You might find some with a current-year harvest date included.

If you have 1st-class quality macadamias (not heated; ...) and it tastes stale then your body has no need for them (at the very moment). Give 'em another try some hours / days later.

my english sucks? i am aware of it!

your food doesn't satisfy you? broaden your choice! still not satisfied? simply skip your next meal

Offline tests

• Bear Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 01:12:51 pm »
Where are you from? Europe? If so you can order at Orkos.

I am from southern california

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk