Author Topic: Best time to take vitamins/nutrient-dense foods?  (Read 3489 times)

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
Best time to take vitamins/nutrient-dense foods?
« on: January 30, 2013, 01:14:54 am »
I lost my job and have no money so I can only buy my food with food stamps now, and grass-fed meats are too expensive for me to buy enough to eat only meat, and I also can't find any grass-fed fat or organs and you can't buy online with food stamps.. so with my current poor diet I've felt that I'm probably lacking in some nutrition, I haven't felt all that great and my teeth had been feeling like they are loose (though they don't move when I push on them) and my gums were sensitive, had been tired a lot and sleeping a lot but my sleep schedule was all messed up and stuff, and just overall wasn't feeling the greatest.

Now I've never been a fan of vitamins or supplements even when I was an ignorant SAD eater, I've always felt that you should get all the nutrition you need from the food you eat.  But with me being unable to afford all the food I need, (I'm underweight too so I need to be eating a lot more to gain some weight as well) I figure it might be a bit necessary to supplement my diet, so I bought a Garden of Life RAW multivitamin.  I also had some cod liver oil that I bought a long time ago, and a whole bunch of local bee pollen I bought a while ago too, and since I've heard that bee pollen is extremely nutrient dense with all the nutrients we need, I've mixed a whole bunch of it in with my raw honey so I can eat a little bit of that everyday too. 

My question just is, when is the best time for me to take these supplements and eat my bee pollen honey?  I know the body doesn't absorb the nutrients from things like vitamins as easily as it does from food, so I want to take them when it would be the best/easiest time for my body to absorb the most nutrition from the supplements as possible.  Instinctively, I've figured the best time to take them is on an empty stomach, so I started taking the GoL RAW multivitamin first thing in the morning, and I've been feeling a little better than I had been.  I just found my cod liver oil last night though, and also mixed my bee pollen with my honey last night, so I hadn't started those yet, but I'm just wondering if eating them all first thing in the morning is the best time to eat them, or if I should spread them out through the day, or should I only eat them after eating something else?  and if so, after eating what?  I've never really taken vitamins or supplements before so I don't really know how it all works or anything you're supposed to do or supposed to avoid if anything..
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Best time to take vitamins/nutrient-dense foods?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 01:30:39 am »
I recommend spreading it out through the day.

For example if the MV is 3 pills per day, take 1 w/ breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Don't take them on an empty stomach. It's my understanding supplements absorb better when taken with food.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

Offline Wolf

• Chief
  • Grawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 02:42:45 am »
Well the vitamin is just one a day.. but I also have the cod liver oil and bee pollen honey, and I was thinking to take all three at the same time in the morning.. but if they absorb better taken with food, do I eat them before or after eating?
Hi, I'm 32, around 5'4" and ~124lb, no real significant health problems other than hyperventilating when running/exercising (that my doc said was because of the smog/asthma), fatigue, and really bad acne.
I'd preferably be a carnivore/very low carb, but I have had a very hard time finding grass-fed or even organic fats, organs, and marrow. I consume raw dairy, but I do not eat much vegetables.. however, I do love fruit.
I live with my dad, so I also have to sneak any raw meat eating.

Offline LePatron7

• Mammoth Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 04:05:25 am »
The honey you can do when ever, it's basically a food.  The cod liver oil I recommend on an empty stomach.
Disclaimer: I was told I was misdiagnosed over 10 years ago, and I haven't taken any medication in over a decade.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk